Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2013, 06:33 PM

Default Mbox 3 Pro sound output cutting out on iMac 2013

Hi all! Just joined, and I couldn't find a solution to my problem anywhere, nor it seems is anybody talking about it at all, so I'll start the conversation.

A few days ago, Avid released updated drivers(v. 1.3) for the Mbox Pro 3 to support OS X Mavericks. I was elated, as I could finally upgrade to Mavericks from mountain lion, which came on the iMac. I wanted to be careful tho, so I installed the new drivers on my old macbook pro early 2011 to test it out (it was already running mavericks). After doing multiple tests over two days, everything seemed stable on Mavericks with the Mbox, so I went ahead and upgraded the new iMac. Alas, as soon as I went to test the sound, all seemed well, until about 10 seconds into a test song via iTunes when the sound output abruptly stopped.

I am able to get the sound to return by toggling the "internal" to "spdif" and back to "internal" on the world clock setting, but it only brings it back for a few seconds and then it abruptly stops again.

It seems, changing the sampling rate to 48 or 88 allows gives me sound for a longer amount of time, but only up to 5 minutes at most. When working in logic, this is a serious setback in terms of efficiency.

I am aware that the new iMac Fusion Drives (which i have) are posing some crackles and pops, which I've been hearing, although it is ignorable, as the sound is more or less consistent, but the sound blatantly cutting out like this randomly after an update that was supposed bring support to the operating system seems just the antithesis to that attempt. Nor have I read or heard of this issue as being connected to the fusion drives.
The Mbox is connected through adapters into a Thunderbolt port.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I start up my mbox correctly every time. iMac off, turn on mbox, wait 20 sec, turn on iMac, so that the clocks and sync correctly, but still this issue persists.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Mbox Pro 3 Sound output cutting out on iMac 2013

Ok, perhaps a more concise way of putting things, and perhaps an update:

The sound output going through Mbox Pro 3 is cutting out randomly on New 2013 iMac, 3.5 ghz, 32 gb ram, 3 tb fusion drive. Toggling the clock source back and forth from internal fixes the issue for only a few seconds, and changing the sampling rate to 48 or 88 fixes the issue for a few minutes at most.

Tested for two days intermittently on Macbook Pro Early 2011 running Mavericks without issues. Leads me to believe it could be something with the fusion drive, as there are known issues, but I have not found this specific issue with my setup on any other forum or google searches and the like.

Update: It seems other Avid drivers for Mavericks are not operating correctly either, which leads me to contemplate if this could be an issue with the driver itself that Avid just released. However, the fusion drive must be playing a factor, as I haven't found related Mbox Pro 3 inquiries, and the fact that it seems to be working fine on my Macbook Pro.
2 Yamaha HS80M Studio Monitors
Old 12-02-2013, 10:41 AM

Hey A Blum

I have the same problem with my MBox Pro and my iMac too. And also I wasen´t able to find a solution for this. It would be nice to get some profesional help because this problem seems like a bit more that just some wrong klicks in the Audiodrivers menu.

TS

-------
2013 21´5 iMac
Intel Core i7 3,1 GHz
16 GB Ram
1T Fousion Drive
Avid MBox Pro (3)
DRW PT11 & PT10
Old 12-02-2013, 10:48 AM

TS_Kiel,

You're absolutely right. There's got to be more going on. Personally I suspect there is a) a firmware issue on the new haswell fusion drive iMacs, b) that this in acting in conjunction with an issue with mavericks where external interfaces are having trouble being recognized or working properly.

There is also a good chance that the drivers for these interfaces aren't equipped to work with fusion drives, or perhaps the way in which the haswell processor handles the fusion drive.

Most likely it is combination of these issues.
2 Yamaha HS80M Studio Monitors
Old 12-03-2013, 11:16 AM

I have the SAME exact issue... my 2013 iMac it doesn't work with my My old 2008 iMac runs the same exact software and my MBox Pro 2 works fine on it.

Can someone contact Avid and ask if they are working on a solution for the fusion drives? I really do not want to have to return my iMac for a SSD...
Old 12-03-2013, 01:11 PM

You may want to read this whole thread on Gearslutz. It seems to be the new Imacs in general, not just limited to fusion drives. It seems to be pretty much an Apple problem. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...new-imacs.html
Old 12-07-2013, 11:55 AM

Getting a SSD sounds like is the only fix or partitioning your drive... lame.

Read page 6

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

I got off the phone with Apple Support. They said to please make a case and send them feedback via http://www.apple.com/feedback/imac.html