Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-24-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Logic 8 to logic 7 session won\'t open! saving procedure need

Hi,

I've been sent a logic 8 session and it won't open on logic 7. so i guess there must be some way for my client to save his 8 session to be able to open in 7. its probably obvious, but he's not too tekkie minded!

Any advise appreciated.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Avid

Default Re: Logic 8 to logic 7 session won\'t open! saving procedure need

Unfortunately - you can't. Not directly at least.

The only way I've found to do it is by exporting as OMF - which means you lose 90% of everything useful in the session.

Also, if you have MIDI files in the session, you have to export those separately, as the OMF won't transfer them.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Logic 8 to logic 7 session won\'t open! saving procedure

Quote:
Unfortunately - you can't. Not directly at least.

The only way I've found to do it is by exporting as OMF - which means you lose 90% of everything useful in the session.

Also, if you have MIDI files in the session, you have to export those separately, as the OMF won't transfer them.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, yes just been trawling the net and reading all i can find and i can't believe this absolutely no facility to save as 7 compatible. i only need to open it so i have control of the conversion process, as i just can't trust most clients to this stuff right.

Apple: what a bunch of bumbaclots. so now i have baby sit my clients through the entire conversion process and hope they get it right!! 99% of the time they don't. and what about virtual instruments and EXS24?? i used to be able to open up logic and save the exs24 then convert in to mach5 and open in PT and go. arrrrrrgggg

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Avid

I know what you mean! It's a royal PITA.

This was one of the things that spurred my comment in another thread about (I think) something to do with 'illegal characters' - how we have to support them for backwards compatibility and that other applications don't even allow you to do it.

Case in point.

Ah - the price of 'progress'!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply, yes just been trawling the net and reading all i can find and i can't believe this absolutely no facility to save as 7 compatible. i only need to open it so i have control of the conversion process, as i just can't trust most clients to this stuff right.

Apple: what a bunch of bumbaclots. so now i have baby sit my clients through the entire conversion process and hope they get it right!! 99% of the time they don't.
Why not just do the $199 upgrade to Logic Pro, make life easy, make life easier for clients, and be done with it? The upgrade is absolutely massive. Much has changed, and a ton of content is included. I've paid $200 to upgrade a single plug-in. The price on the Logic 8 Pro is almost a give away.

Seriously, I don't think it's worth Apple's time to be able to save a Logic 8 session as a Logic 7 session. Since the changes have been huge, it would most likely be flaky. Plus, without all the Logic 8 content, opening in Logic 7 would be impossible in many situations.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Apple: what a bunch of bumbaclots. so now i have baby sit my clients through the entire conversion process and hope they get it right!! 99% of the time they don't.
Why not just do the $199 upgrade to Logic Pro, make life easy, make life easier for clients, and be done with it? The upgrade is absolutely massive. Much has changed, and a ton of content is included. I've paid $200 to upgrade a single plug-in. The price on the Logic 8 Pro is almost a give away.

Seriously, I don't think it's worth Apple's time to be able to save a Logic 8 session as a Logic 7 session. Since the changes have been huge, it would most likely be flaky. Plus, without all the Logic 8 content, opening in Logic 7 would be impossible in many situations.

yepp- that is sad- I wrote already the same thread on different logic forums. Nobody couldnt help
Plus- they have changed many other things- like converting AU to DTDM- this function is gone...
makin DIGIusers

I started doing some sessions on L8 and realized that L8 is much slower then L7.
So I wanted to go back instead of upgrading to MacPro (wich would force me to upgrade the accel cards)- no chance...

And since Apple's interest nowdays is only selling iPhones and iPods and not developing pro music software, there is no chance it will get better.

I miss the old days- a phonecall away from emagic...

That is the main reason I switched 100% to PT

*MacPro Quad 2.66 | 6GB Ram | OSX 10.9.8
HD6 Accel | Magma PE6R | 2x 192 I/O | PT 10
Old 04-25-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Hi Lee,

Thanks for adding your thoughts! I didn't really want to spend anything for what i only use to convert clients sessions, but if there are other benefits it might be worth the investment. can you answer a few questions?

Do all Logic 7 version sessions open up in Logic 8?
does Logic 8 still have all the export functions working ok. export all tracks as audio?
With Mainstage, can this work as a stand alone multi-timbrel sound module, 16 instruments on 16 different midi channels etc?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 04-26-2008, 06:08 AM

Are any of you running Logic 8 on a Mac Pro with PT hardware/HD cards successfully?

A friend wants to upgrade a working 7.3.1cs6 HD3 PT system on Mac Pro to run with Logic 8 and it scares me! Took a lot of fiddling to get PT to work 90% of the time on Mac Pro, I really don't want to add Logic to the pot of nightmares, especially as the engineer is happy with the system.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
This has got to be a joke... I would rather put it like this:

If you use an 8 Core (newest Mac) then prepare yourself for TOTAL slowness. The screen draws are so slow that it makes a turtle seem fast - and I am on a NVIDIA Geforce 8800 with 512 MB RAM...

L8 does NOT make life easier but a whole LOT harder for the users. And what is it that you get for the extra $$$$

IMO:

A bunch of nimwit application additions that have more bugs than L8.
An arsenal of sounds that are not meeting the terminology: Mediocre.
A DAW that has so many screws loose that a russian nuclear power plant seems air tight

I bought the L8 upgrade - cuz I HAVE to use it as I need to convert about another 100 songs to be able to produce them in Protools. After that is is sayonara Logic and that FOREVER... This application is nothing like is used to be and professionally it is going down the drain. In a few years it will be Garage Band number 2 - the user base will be those who now uses GarageBand. I switched 3 years ago - when most my friends and colleges were still on Logic - now I know only of ONE friend still using that petty app... And he too is saying "I'll stay on L7 as long as I can - then I'll switch to Pro Tools....

Apple is a driven company - but with Logic they are driving their users straight into the Loving arms of Digidesign and MOTU.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:

A bunch of nimwit application additions that have more bugs than L8.
An arsenal of sounds that are not meeting the terminology: Mediocre.
A DAW that has so many screws loose that a russian nuclear power plant seems air tight

I bought the L8 upgrade - cuz I HAVE to use it as I need to convert about another 100 songs to be able to produce them in Protools. After that is is sayonara Logic and that FOREVER... This application is nothing like is used to be and professionally it is going down the drain. In a few years it will be Garage Band number 2 - the user base will be those who now uses GarageBand. I switched 3 years ago - when most my friends and colleges were still on Logic - now I know only of ONE friend still using that petty app... And he too is saying "I'll stay on L7 as long as I can - then I'll switch to Pro Tools....

Apple is a driven company - but with Logic they are driving their users straight into the Loving arms of Digidesign and MOTU.
I have to agree. After owning Logic since version 2.5 (PC only) I've had to retract my statement of "they couldn't make it any worse" over and over again. Logic isn't and never will become usable as long as they continue to put the idea of controlling the nth parameter of a MIDI string sample over the idea that multiple people play instruments together (without the aid of a grid) and wish them to be recorded in order to play them back. I honestly think that the group of engineers who code for Logic should be locked in a basement with a Tascam 4 track and an SM57 so they might finally understand the idea that the first word in music engineering is actually "music."