How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2019, 07:01 AM

Default Missing Audio files after re-install of PT12.18

Hey guys, hope everyone is doin' good!

So I'm having this issue that whenever i re-install PT (any version lol, I'm on 12.18) that my projects are always missing audio/fades files. I don't get it, I never delete anything or change anything? It just doesn't find them When I run a scan to find them it also doesn't find them, what am I "missing" jeez, lol!

All of my plugins are found, my UAD plugs are working properly, my appolo is connecting but the files are missing and I'm also getting these weird drop-outs in playback? Any help would be super appreciated :)

Running on a windows 10 machine with a fresh install of PT, windows, UAD and all plugins. Nothing else installed - yet lol.

Cheers!
Old 04-21-2019, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Missing Audio files after re-install of PT12.18

Are you actually missing the files or are they in the Audio Files folder but the session can't find them? I've been having trouble lately with sessions losing links to files too with 2018.12. In some cases, I have to manually drag the clips into the timeline and spot them. Annoying.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 04-21-2019, 08:06 PM

The OP refers to "projects" so I have to ask; are you referring to PROJECTS(which are in the cloud) or SESSIONS(which are on your computer)?

Next question is; why are you re-installing Pro Tools(and exactly how did you remove it before the re-install)?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-21-2019, 10:00 PM

Hi, thanks for the responses guys!

So, I re-installed by way of reset PC just to clean up my system, wiping everything on the windows drive - not my music production drive. It's always been a music system but my kids are getting to the age where they wanted my laptop which was my surfin' machine. So I had to use my PC lol.

Anyways, the problem is the audio files are missing from the Session (sorry, poor choice of wording on my part by referring to them as "projects", Dave ). The last session I pull up in which I just completed a few days ago was working like a dream, did the re-install and sure enough, missing 9 audio files. (The files are just gone, Chris)! When I check the folder and select manually find and re-link they are gone

Also, I guess I can redo what i think is gone but now just as important when I playback the session all of the sudden after about 20 seconds of playback the audio will just drop out for a few milliseconds and repeat this way for the duration of said track. Something to do with delay compensation or low latency monitoring? I've tied unchecking both, Is there a way to fix the "compensate delay latency" as it's highlighted red now and I'm not sure why? Maybe "Console" isn't configured right as I was using Unison plugs but I can't really see that as the issue?

You guys rock, thanks so much for your help and input.

Cheers,
Shawn
Old 04-22-2019, 10:41 AM

The files shouldn't be disappearing like that. Are you sure they aren't being stored in a different location than the Audio Files folder? Check your Disk Allocation. It's always wise to have a backup too - sometimes files go missing for various reasons. When you make a recording, check to make sure the new files are actually stored in the session Audio Files folder and make a backup of the session when you're done. Fade files can always be recreated.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 04-22-2019, 07:42 PM

Thanks, Chris. Yes they are gone with the wind - so strange. Guess I'll have to backup my backups that are backed up lol. But seriously, good advice thanks!

Any idea why I'm getting this latency issue now after reinstalling? It was working just fine before? Should I start a new thread to stay OT?
Old 04-22-2019, 08:45 PM

I'll relate a story, just in case.....

Last year, my studio was working on several projects and the sessions were going back and forth between the main room, and a midi suite. About 75% of audio was recorded, we had a slew of missing audio files And they were really gone, with no clear explanation(and shame on me....things were not backed up properly. At one point, the drive with the sessions simply stopped reading completely! Fortunately I was backed up before that happened(but we still had to re-record several key things, including some lead vocals). I finally narrowed it down to 2 possible causes....
#1-my iPhone has a rare earth magnet on the back and sometimes I would leave it on the desktop(and possibly close enough to the hard drive)...
#2-the drive in question was a raw SATA drive that sat in a drive tray. When it was in the midi room, the tray sat on top of the tower(just happened to be convenient. Several times, I caught my partner setting his headphones down right on top of the drive tray. Guess what both ear cups on most headphones have.......yep, magnets........

If you're thinking there's no way some little magnet destroyed data, don't be too sure. I set that iPhone down on top of my laptop, directly over where the drive sits. As I took my hand away, I thought, "maybe I shouldn't set my phone there". As I reached to pick it up, the laptop(which was on) suddenly went black and would not boot up again. I had to restore from a drive image. Moral(s) of the story:
1-its NEVER too soon to back up.
2-if it doesn't exist in 3 places, its not backed up
3-its impossible to be too careful
4-the smallest detail can cause a catastrophe
5-that was an expensive mistake(the studio had to eat dozens of hours of time for re-recording parts)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-23-2019, 06:38 AM

Yikes, Dave! That's some good food for thought thanks for sharing and will keep that in mind and do those backups!
Old 04-23-2019, 07:33 AM

Chris makes at least one of these points; obviously files should not be disappearing and you're clearly allocating files somewhere they shouldn't be, so:

1) Check your Disk Allocation!!
1b) CHECK YOUR DISK ALLOCATION!!

2) A visit to the session browser (option-'o') will show you all the audio files used in the session, and sorting on "Path" will make clear any file that's NOT in the session folder.
3) The Relink window will tell you where those files were before they disappeared.

4) Have a sensible daily backup strategy.
5) Did I say check your Disk Allocation?

Oh, and the audio dropout problem is probably unrelated, and probably some interface/clocking issue.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 04-24-2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:00 PM

Thanks, Rich! You're right, it was an interface issue regarding the dropout/latency... sorted now! I figured out that the files were missing due to my own stupidity (of course)

When PT asks if you're sure you want to delete a track with "active regions" I guess that means don't do it dude!!! Shoulda just "hide and made inactive" but my thinking was oh, I'll free up some space and nuke these anyways. Man, I feel pretty dumb! So sorry!

Would of posted sooner but haven't had a day off since my last post!