Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2013, 07:35 AM

Default Melodyne and tempo changes in PT

I have a track that changes tempo and time at the end. With Melodyne, the last part of the track goes out of sync. Any ideas?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Melodyne and tempo changes in PT

I seem to remember that you have to have the tempo changes mapped out before you transfer the audio in to melodyne - and then when you make the transfer, you do the whole thing from the top of the track (ahead of, and including all tempo changes).
Old 11-20-2013, 09:03 PM

Melodyne is a mess with sessions that have tempo changes. It used to be fine in older versions (before Melodyne Editor). I have gone through their step by step process many times and audio still gets messed up. So here is the workaround I do.

1. Hold down option (alt on Windows) and change one of your tracks to sample based (this should change all tracks in the session to sample based).

2. Open the Transport window and click on the blue conductor to temporarily suspend all tempo changes.

3. Now import into Melodyne and Make all pitch changes. Print Melodyne's Edits and make it inactive.

4. Reverse steps 1 and 2.

Sometimes I have been able to get Melodyne to work with a song with tempo changes if I import into Melodyne from the very beginning of the session.

Good luck!
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-22-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Melodyne is a mess with sessions that have tempo changes. It used to be fine in older versions (before Melodyne Editor). I have gone through their step by step process many times and audio still gets messed up. So here is the workaround I do.

1. Hold down option (alt on Windows) and change one of your tracks to sample based (this should change all tracks in the session to sample based).

2. Open the Transport window and click on the blue conductor to temporarily suspend all tempo changes.

3. Now import into Melodyne and Make all pitch changes. Print Melodyne's Edits and make it inactive.

4. Reverse steps 1 and 2.

Sometimes I have been able to get Melodyne to work with a song with tempo changes if I import into Melodyne from the very beginning of the session.

Good luck!
Go to Melodyne videos. There is one there specific to tempo changes . . . it's easy once you have done it once.

Also ProTools 2021.12, 002R,; Mac Pro: 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon; 128 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC; Serial ATA Drives (Journaled HFS+): 2 x OWC Mercury Electra 3G 2 TB SSD; 3 x Seagate Barracudas 1.0 TB; External Firewire Drives (Journaled HFS+): 4 x Seagate Barracudas 1.5 TB and 6 x Seagate Barracudas 1.0 TB
Old 11-23-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdjudd View Post
Go to Melodyne videos. There is one there specific to tempo changes . . . it's easy once you have done it once.
While there are times that it works. I have often run into times where doing exactly the procedure in the videos doesn't work. If you have a 5 min song that constantly has tempo changes, it is frustrating to import all of the time changes by playing back the whole song and then have it still not line up.

It is especially difficult to get material to line up if you have a song where there are tempo changes throughout and you have a vocal that needs some tuning at the very end of the song. So you import just that section. But once you start playing back the tempo changes from earlier in the song, it gets off. So going in and clicking the link button and playing from the beginning to import the time changes is a gamble. Maybe it will line up, maybe it won't. So I have just reverted to the steps I listed above which always work.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 11-23-2013, 09:17 AM

Default Melodyne and tempo changes in PT

The way I do it is to save a midi map from my pro tools session then import the midi map to melodyne. This always seems to work for me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 11-23-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
While there are times that it works. I have often run into times where doing exactly the procedure in the videos doesn't work. If you have a 5 min song that constantly has tempo changes, it is frustrating to import all of the time changes by playing back the whole song and then have it still not line up.

It is especially difficult to get material to line up if you have a song where there are tempo changes throughout and you have a vocal that needs some tuning at the very end of the song. So you import just that section. But once you start playing back the tempo changes from earlier in the song, it gets off. So going in and clicking the link button and playing from the beginning to import the time changes is a gamble. Maybe it will line up, maybe it won't. So I have just reverted to the steps I listed above which always work.
I have only used this function two times and it worked as expected. Obviously from your experience it can be cantankerous, so thanks for the other tricks.

Also ProTools 2021.12, 002R,; Mac Pro: 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon; 128 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC; Serial ATA Drives (Journaled HFS+): 2 x OWC Mercury Electra 3G 2 TB SSD; 3 x Seagate Barracudas 1.0 TB; External Firewire Drives (Journaled HFS+): 4 x Seagate Barracudas 1.5 TB and 6 x Seagate Barracudas 1.0 TB
Old 11-23-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
The way I do it is to save a midi map from my pro tools session then import the midi map to melodyne. This always seems to work for me :)

If this works, then you are an absolute genius. Do you do this before or after you import the audio?

160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 11-24-2013, 04:41 AM

Raoul,

I checked on importing a MIDI map. I didn't see this in Melodyne Editor Plugin. Which version are you using?
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 11-25-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Raoul,

I checked on importing a MIDI map. I didn't see this in Melodyne Editor Plugin. Which version are you using?
I'm on melodyne studio not editor. Is the midi map option not available on Editor. If not thats a shame i was going to buy that for the DNA function alone but no good for me if it doesnt do tempo changes

Sorry to have gotten your hopes up

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis