Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2020, 11:23 AM

Default ProTools and video streaming

Hi all...

Does anyone here have experience using ProTools with live streaming?

I’d like to start doing small live concerts broadcast online on FB.

What video interface do you use? What would you recommend?

I’ve tried to do online research, but there is so much convoluted information.

Any help getting started that you might be able to offer would be great!

Thank you!
Old 10-26-2020, 12:12 PM

Default Re: ProTools and video streaming

Check out OBS. I use it often.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 10-26-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Young View Post
Check out OBS. I use it often.
Thank you!

i have seen OBS, but have yet to investigate it or use it.

Is it pretty easy to configure for internet usage? I’m hoping to use an HDMI output on my DSLR camera, with the PT output as sound.

Is this a relatively easy setup with OBS?
Old 10-26-2020, 03:09 PM

It's free and very powerful. Once you poke around, it's very very easy! The hardest part for me was plugging in the livestream information. You can arrange whatever windows you want on screen (including webcams) and choose whatever audio.

I have my Pro Tools audio down mixed to stereo, and output through my optical out on my HD Omni. The optical feeds my computer's optical input so I can send it out live.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 3.08.21 PM.jpg (67.2 KB, 0 views)

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 10-26-2020, 05:01 PM

It probably makes sense to describe the system I am using… Since a video interface will be relative to what I am running.

I have windows 10… And my outboard preamps run through my Lynx Aurora, into the dedicated Lynx USB card.

Not sure how OBS would interface with PT with that set up.

Thoughts?
Old 10-27-2020, 11:22 AM

Right here

https://benonistudio.com/tutorials/s...ing-tutorials/

There are many ways to route the audio. Easiest way is two interfaces or one interface with Loopback.

Other options are Voicemeeter or for really simple stuff, the FL Studio driver.

OBS is free, and I go over your options in may of the videos, mainly for recording, but you can stream with it too.

Streamlabs OBS is another free option that makes it a bit easier specifically for streaming.

I'll have another video out later today about using Loopback with the Evo 8 and OBS
www.youtube.com/benonistudio

Even if you don't have the Evo 8, the process inside OBS is exactly the same for any Loopback capable interface.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-27-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Right here

https://benonistudio.com/tutorials/s...ing-tutorials/

There are many ways to route the audio. Easiest way is two interfaces or one interface with Loopback.

Other options are Voicemeeter or for really simple stuff, the FL Studio driver.

OBS is free, and I go over your options in may of the videos, mainly for recording, but you can stream with it too.

Streamlabs OBS is another free option that makes it a bit easier specifically for streaming.

I'll have another video out later today about using Loopback with the Evo 8 and OBS
www.youtube.com/benonistudio

Even if you don't have the Evo 8, the process inside OBS is exactly the same for any Loopback capable interface.
Thank you Benoni…

I’m having a hard time determining whether this protocol is meant to work with something like Facebook live… Which is my ultimate goal.

I think I read somewhere recently that if I take an output from my Aurora, and run it into my computer through the microphone jack, that I may be able to do it that way and pipe it right through into OBS and into Facebook.

I don’t monitor my ProTools sessions directly through the computer, but through an outboard system, so I would think that the system might work.

Additional thoughts?
Old 10-27-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kelly View Post
Thank you Benoni…

I’m having a hard time determining whether this protocol is meant to work with something like Facebook live… Which is my ultimate goal.

I think I read somewhere recently that if I take an output from my Aurora, and run it into my computer through the microphone jack, that I may be able to do it that way and pipe it right through into OBS and into Facebook.

I don’t monitor my ProTools sessions directly through the computer, but through an outboard system, so I would think that the system might work.

Additional thoughts?
Sure, take a stereo out from your interface and run it into a Line Input on your computer sound card. Works fine, as long as the PC sound card is not complete crap.

I've done it that way with a Dual 1/4" to single 1/8" stereo cable.
I have a video on that method here

Check out Streamlabs, you should be able to simply login with Facebook, no need to deal with streaming keys, and be live in a couple minutes (after you get the audio part down)
https://streamlabs.com/

Although, you should still learn standard OBS. It helps when figuring out other software.

Streamlabs is actually based on OBS. If you see people talking about 'SLOBS' they are referring to Streamlabs OBS.

Once you have a basic understanding of OBS, you should be able to figure out the signal flow that works best for you.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-27-2020, 05:10 PM

For anyone reading through here, here's the Evo Loopback videos I mentioned in a previous post.

Even if you don't have the Evo 8, Loopback works the same way with other interfaces, like the Presonus 1824c I usually use.

EVO 8 LOOPBACK - Record Computer Audio Into a DAW
https://youtu.be/-G52v_8RS64

EVO 8 LOOPBACK - Stream/Record Your DAW
https://youtu.be/PBFwOqb6Bew

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-28-2020, 05:32 AM

Here's an inexpensive video interface for you DSLR.
https://ikancorp.com/shop/broadcasti...k-30fps-input/

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)