Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 02-07-2021, 11:20 AM

Default Seeking advice on new (used) HDX card

Hello,
I just bought a bundle on eBay -- HDX card, HD I/0 8x8x8 and PT 11 + 10 Bundle license. Very smooth, fast, good transaction, and have had good communications with the seller who seems to be a straight up, very nice guy.

I was a bit concerned however when I got the shipment. He had re-purposed the HD I/O box to send the whole bundle. So when I opened up the box I noticed he had packed the HDX card against the edge of the I/O, wedged between the interface and the outside of the box, with minimal padding. I had mentioned my concern to him via eBay message. It was only today as I was going to install the card that I noticed that the metal plate on the HDX card with the Digilink adapters had been bent. Supposed to be at a right angle to the card, but was pushed out to maybe 100 degrees. Yikes. I took some pics, then bent it back in as best I could and managed to get it into the Mac Pro.

I just loaded up PT 11 for the first time and everything works fine. Booted right up. I'm seeing audio on the HD I/O meters. I am going to make sure the 2nd Digilink port works. If it doesn't, obviously I'll have to send it back, or maybe get him to pay for Avid repair? But even if the 2nd port does work, it makes me kind of nervous to have bought this fancy, expensive card and have it show up bent. It's a good bundle, I don't want to have to send the whole thing back. Anyway, just not sure how to proceed. Assume it's working and just forge ahead? Get him to pay for an Avid checkup of the card? Not sure...

[ Bit later -- I tried moving the HD I/O over to the 2nd Digilnk port and the interface is not being found. But I don't know if that's normal or not. If you are only running one interface, does it have to be on the Primary port? ]

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by innerbooty; 02-07-2021 at 11:29 AM. Reason: More Info
Old 02-07-2021, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Seeking advice on new (used) HDX card

I would return for refund. The electrical connectors are tiny. Printed on pcb and it will fail some day due to the bending back and forth even once. I am running multiple interfaces but I am pretty sure the single io should show up on any port.

Ask for a serious.. I mean. Serious discount on bent hdx card. Like 25% of the cards eBay value if you want to risk it. Or else return it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2021, 02:29 AM

At the very least, run Digitest on the card to check whether it's still functioning.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:07 AM

Good advice on DigiTest. HDX card seems to have failed, despite the fact that I am able to load up a little test session in PT 11. Doesn't look good, unless there is a benign reason for the attached results...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DigiTest - Pg1.jpg (31.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DigiTest - Pg2.jpg (40.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-08-2021, 07:43 AM
Avid

Yes those are concerning and problematic. The card needs to be repaired.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 02-10-2021, 05:54 PM

Digitest not seeing HDX card?

Last edited by corp; 02-12-2021 at 03:51 PM. Reason: no answer
Old 03-03-2021, 06:42 PM

Hi,
Thanks for all the tips. Just to follow up - having gotten what I understand were critical errors on the HDX card in DigiTest, I returned the whole bundle via eBay return policy. The seller was highly reluctant, verging on panicked, saying he'd already spent the money, and trying to convince me that a "pro audio genius" he knows would fix the HDX card for me. Uh huh. eBay had to refund me on his behalf. Thank you, eBay buyer protection...!

So, the whole bundle went back - damaged HDX card, HD I/O 8x8x8 and PT 11 license. I want to give it a go again, but having been almost burned the first time, I am wondering how to do this upgrade as safely as possible, and how to fully check the HDX card when I get it. Instead of getting an HD I/O, I might just continue to use my Apogee AD/DA-16X's with the X-HD cards, which I am currently using on my PT 10 HD2 Accel rig. I guess my question is - if I get a new (used) HDX card, will the Apogees with the X-HD cards work with DigiTest to allow me to run DigiTest to check the HDX card? They show up as "HD I/O" in hardware setup. Do I understand correctly that you need to have an interface connected to even run DigiTest at all?

Also wondering - to what degree, if at all, do I need to worry about the vintage of the HDX card, or the firmware version? I'm hoping to run the system on a 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 which I want to flash to 5,1 so I can run a more recent OS X. I'm going to do that flash to 5,1 first and make sure it works before I buy anything!

Thanks again!
Old 03-09-2021, 10:54 AM

This seller has always been above board with me and he stands behind what he sells:

HDX Card
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 03-09-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
This seller has always been above board with me and he stands behind what he sells:

HDX Card

I can vouch for GSharp music aswell. I brought quite a few ProTool bit off him a few years ago, all
Arrived safe and well from the US to the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 03-09-2021, 07:20 PM

Gsharp is great. I've bought tons of avid stuff from this ebay store.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk