Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2021, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Unable to assign MIDI tracks to certain VIs

This is not the problem, but maybe a similar situation? A while ago I had EZDrummer, then upgraded to Superior Drummer. I went to replace EZD with SD and didn't undo the channel assign's. I was then unable to make any assignments with SD on the tracks I had EZD assigned to. It was like Pro Tools didn't release the channels back to the system. The only way to get it to work was to make a new instrument track and associated auxes, and copy the midi from the old Instrument track to the new instrument track, delete the old tracks, and redo the assignements on the new ones. I found out later on that if you undo the assignments then remove EZD, then put SD on, then redo the assignments it would work.

Have you tried unassigning the MIDI input, then removing, then reinstantiating EZD, then reassigning the input? Not a fix, but maybe a more convenient workaround?
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:10 AM

Interesting... I'll give that theory a go. Come to think of it, I believe I'd started off with a multi-channel VI on that Instrument track, then later switched to EZD, and that might have been the case in both instances where this issue has surfaced. This isn't an identical scenario as yours but it could reveal the same bug at its core.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:41 PM

It happened again tonight, and this time with an older session which used Superior Drummer (a single MIDI channel VI). Nothing I did allowed me to send the MIDI channel to Superior Drummer. I opened this session, remotely, in another studio, and it was the same issue. Different machine, different OS, different version of PT.

Also, I tried most of what you'd suggested, ArKay, and it didn't work, HOWEVER I'd forgotten to unassign the MIDI track before removing the VI, so you may still have the proper fix. I'll try again later.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:29 AM

Hey I'm having the same exact problem with EZDrummer. I can't assign MIDI tracks to it. This is really killing me as I'm on a deadline. I have several MIDI tracks that I want to assign to it, and it's doing that thing where it's jumping to the next MIDI input in the system when I try to select EZD as input and it simply won't choose it. I tried removing then re-instantiating EZD but I still can't get other MIDI tracks to assign to it.

Arggh! Any luck anyone? I've seen this come up randomly before but it's really stuck right now. I've tried quitting PT and re-opening session, same problem.

I'm on PT 2020.12 Ultimate, Mac Pro 10.13.6 High Sierra, using an HD Native card into an Avid Omni HD interface.
Old 03-05-2021, 03:37 AM

Don't know if this will help, but try changing the MIDI output of the instrument track to none before assigning the the separate MIDI track to the instrument.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 03-05-2021, 06:50 AM

Yep, I get this occasionally. I've been deleting then instantiating SD3 again on a new channel (saving the midi info first). Then I stopped using instrument tracks and create a separate midi pointing to the audio track with the newly implemented VI. Restarting PT also shakes loose the issue.

There is some problem with instrument tracks losing it's way that I've worked around but don't want to deal with. It may even be associated with instantiating a stereo plugin on a mono track and vice versa elsewhere in the project. The PT internal routing gets confused. PT errors out in this situation but SD3, in this particular project, gets killed.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:29 PM

Yes, it's a bug. I'd rather be alone in this than to see it occur to others as well, but at least I don't feel crazy for seeing the issue repeatedly. And I understand your frustration -- been there too many times, and always with a deadline looming of course.