Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2021, 07:31 PM

Default SSD not showing my samples in plugins

Hello! I have my SSD sample drive that has all of my Slate and Superior Drummer samples, and upon trying to open Steven Slate Drums 5.5, it asks me for the location of my samples and none are available. If I click ignore, it's already selected on where to look in the settings of the plugin, but if I try to reselect it, the drive shows up, but says there is nothing on the drive. That is of course false, because I can see it all on the finder. I thought this was a Steven Slate problem only, so I tried Superior Drummer, and the same thing. I selected the location in Superior Drummer, and once again, it's showing that my sample drive has non contents, which is again false.

Is there some reason that perhaps Pro Tools is not recognizing things? I'm on Pro Tools 2020.12.0 and Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:01 PM

Default Re: SSD not showing my samples in plugins

Change the default location of Sound Libraries in Pro Tools Preferences>Operation

In Windows, the default location is
Users\Username\Documents\Pro Tools\Sound Libraries

Hit the “Change button” and select
“Name of your Samples drive”\Sound Libraries
My location = k:\Sound Libraries\
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 01-25-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Change the default location of Sound Libraries in Pro Tools Preferences>Operation

In Windows, the default location is
Users\Username\Documents\Pro Tools\Sound Libraries

Hit the “Change button” and select
“Name of your Samples drive”\Sound Libraries
My location = k:\Sound Libraries\
Thank you for getting back to me! You know what, I found out what it was... I looked in "Security and Privacy" in System Preferences of my Mac, and it turns out that "Removable Volumes" was not checked. Once I checked that and restarted Pro Tools, my samples show up now, which is quite strange though because my External Session Drive was working and playing the session... Does that all make sense? haha either way, seems to be working.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:45 PM

Glad you got it sorted – happy music making!
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 01-26-2021, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
Thank you for getting back to me! You know what, I found out what it was... I looked in "Security and Privacy" in System Preferences of my Mac, and it turns out that "Removable Volumes" was not checked. Once I checked that and restarted Pro Tools, my samples show up now, which is quite strange though because my External Session Drive was working and playing the session... Does that all make sense? haha either way, seems to be working.
Makes no sense. When I ran OSX 10.9.5 (your profiles hows that OSX) on my old iMac I didn't have to do anything in Security & Privacy. And now in High Sierra I can't find anywheres in S&P to select 'removable volumes'.

QAPLA!
Old 01-26-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Glad you got it sorted – happy music making!
Thank you! I appreciate it!!!
Old 01-26-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Makes no sense. When I ran OSX 10.9.5 (your profiles hows that OSX) on my old iMac I didn't have to do anything in Security & Privacy. And now in High Sierra I can't find anywheres in S&P to select 'removable volumes'.
Yeah, I'm really not sure! I'm running OS 10.15.7 Catalina, so maybe it's something different or different kinds of permissions? I may have told Pro Tools to not have access to my samples drive when installing Pro Tools on my new system, so maybe that's why it was unchecked.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
Yeah, I'm really not sure! I'm running OS 10.15.7 Catalina, so maybe it's something different or different kinds of permissions? I may have told Pro Tools to not have access to my samples drive when installing Pro Tools on my new system, so maybe that's why it was unchecked.
Apple must have changed things then as there's no drive selection in High Sierra's Security & Permissions. You may want to update your profile to reflect your current system.

QAPLA!
Old 01-26-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Apple must have changed things then as there's no drive selection in High Sierra's Security & Permissions. You may want to update your profile to reflect your current system.
Got ya! Oh, shoot! I didn't realize that my specs are included on my account and postings. I don't see them here, so I assumed they were'n't visible. Thank you for the heads up!