Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-01-2006, 08:52 AM

Default any good recommendations for protools books?

hey guys, happy new year! i can't believe 2006 is already here!!
anyway... i got 25 dollars to spend at barnes&nobles(.com) (gift card) and would like to purchase a good "how to book on ptle". i am running 6.4cs9. so...what are my fellow pt'ers using? i am looking for a book that offers tips on mixing, tracking, and etc.

any good recommendations?

Old 01-01-2006, 10:17 AM

Default Re: any good recommendations for protools books?

Try Bobby Owsinski's "The Mixing Engineer's Handbook."

It's not specific to ProTools but it's the best recording book I've read by far. The initial chapters go through the main elements of sound and recording. I especially enjoyed his chapter on EQ. It's straightforward and very to the point.

The second half of the book consists of interviews with top engineers. Bobby poses questions about their work and their philosophies on recording.

It's exceptional. I promise you'll like it. Check it out at amazon.com and read the customer reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087...books&v=glance

There are also two other books in the series. They're probably just as good.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 01-01-2006, 10:18 AM

Books I've found to be really helpful for learning Pro Tools [and I've bought quite a few]:

Pro Tools Clinic by Mitch Gallagher [comes with a CD of sample PT sessions; well done and easy to follow]

Musician's Guide to Pro Tools by John Keane [newer edition is better; very practical step-by-step as you and an imaginary band put a project together with lab sessions on the CD]

Pro Tools Recording Guide by Clayton Walnum [similar to the above with a CD to play with sessions]

One thing the books don't cut through to me is seeing the GUI worked with to do the steps. I also recommend these instructional DVDs:

Pro Tools Method One by Digidesign [available through their website store]
(I wish that this had been available two years ago as I would have started with this).

Pro Tools DVD: Volume 1 [www.secretsofthepros.com] (they've also got a general DVD on recording )
Old 01-01-2006, 12:08 PM

Personally any book about pro tools would be enough. What I did was just read the books at barnes & nobles.

My original plan was just to research the books before buying. I ended up just reading a variety of books at barnes & nobles. That what they encourage you to do anyways, to relax and read their books in the store. Well basically, I read most of the books and in addition to reading the digi manual, you get the basic concepts after awhile.

Just get the book you find the easiest to understand.

Books I like were:

Pro tools 6 Power!

The Musician's Guide to Pro Tools

Pro Tools All-in-One Desk Reference For Dummies
Old 01-01-2006, 01:20 PM

I`ve bought five books on ProTools and the CSI Starter DVD and I still canīt get PTLE to work on an MBox. I donīt have all the books with me so I canīt slam them by name but they are all written by guys with many years of professional experience who assume their readers want to start by importing midi files and time stretching drum loops. They all say they are for beginners but I guarantee not one of those authors has tested his book by giving it to a newbie and watching silently to see if the poor beginner can actually succeed in getting a recording. Even books that use an MBox as their sample interface assume that you bought an MBox so you could begin a session with 10 tracks of drums. Isn`t it more likely that 99% of the people who bought MBoxes just want to record a guitar + vocal demo and maybe overdub a bass or lead guitar? This would seem to be a very common use for an MBox but it is not discussed as an exercise in one PTLE book. I`m not a total ignoramus either. I read Recording magazine for ten years before deciding to buy the MBox and learn how to use it. It`s now my opinion that the only way to learn PTLE is by paying for one-on-one lessons from someone who is experienced. Thatīs what Iīm going to try next, because I donīt want my MBox to end up gathering dust, which I suspect has been the fate of most of the ones sold so far.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:41 PM

I can't recommend any books, however, I can recommend grooveboxmusic.com .
They have quicktime tutorials for PT, Reason, and more.

I bought one of their 7 day passes to try it out and learned quite a bit about ProTools and Reason.

Van

[I am not affiliated with grooveboxmusic.com in any way other than a happy customer.]

"All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie" :: Bob Dylan
Ŋ
Old 01-01-2006, 04:13 PM

I posted a thread awhile back about the new Mastering ProTools LE mag/book/CDROM that EM helped put out. It really leans towards the basics and mastering those. There are also some really good interviews and side articles. The CDROM contains some video tutorials, a 311 session, and some other stuff.

I also have the David Franz book which I like alot. I never really checked out the CDROM to that as I loaned it out to another user, but the book is cool.
Peace
Old 01-02-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I`ve bought five books on ProTools and the CSI Starter DVD and I still canīt get PTLE to work on an MBox.

I read Recording magazine for ten years before deciding to buy the MBox and learn how to use it. It`s now my opinion that the only way to learn PTLE is by paying for one-on-one lessons from someone who is experienced. Thatīs what Iīm going to try next, because I donīt want my MBox to end up gathering dust, which I suspect has been the fate of most of the ones sold so far.

Man, that is one hilarious post.

Are you honestly saying that after ten years preparation, the manual, five books and a DVD you still can't get Pro Tools to work?

Don't give up your day job dude, whatever you do.

(P.S. Just so I'm not seen to be a complete grump, I can recommend 'The Complete Pro Tools Handbook' by Jose "Chilitos" Valenzuela, along with, of course, 'RTFM' by the DUC Chorus )
Old 01-03-2006, 12:31 PM

To Sonny in London
I guess the pleasure of sarcasm depends a great deal on whether you`re giving it or receiving it.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:48 AM

Gringo Viejo,

Well put regarding sarcasm.

I've been noodling around with Pro Tools for just a couple of years now but would be willing to correspond if I could be of assistance in getting you further along with recording. My contact info is available on the profile link.

Seattleguitarman