Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2010, 08:18 AM

Default Re: PSA: Seagate Hybrid Drive on sale at NewEgg

When I upgraded the hard drive on my PS3, a 500gb HD cost me $200+ now you can get them for less than that $50.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:50 AM

What is the deal with SSD's are they more or less reliable than HD's. Apple keeps stating that they are the way to go with zero issues. Yet I hear people stating they are unreliable. Which is true?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hulnick View Post
What is the deal with SSD's are they more or less reliable than HD's. Apple keeps stating that they are the way to go with zero issues. Yet I hear people stating they are unreliable. Which is true?
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=276934

That.

lol, mine failed on me after just 8 months. theyl bit you in the ass if you dont pay money for the SLC nand chips.

Nick

PS ov course apple is going to market something more expensive as a "step-up". While it is in some aspects, it isn't worth the downfalls., and certainly isnt worth the money at this point.
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 11-02-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit View Post
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=276934

That.

lol, mine failed on me after just 8 months. theyl bit you in the ass if you dont pay money for the SLC nand chips.

Nick

PS ov course apple is going to market something more expensive as a "step-up". While it is in some aspects, it isn't worth the downfalls., and certainly isnt worth the money at this point.
Thanks for the heads up. When I read early press releases for SSD they made them sound like they were the bees knees and THE way forward. Now it seems otherwise. Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hulnick View Post
Thanks for the heads up. When I read early press releases for SSD they made them sound like they were the bees knees and THE way forward. Now it seems otherwise. Thanks again.
They are the way forward... just not yet.

There are some good, reliable SSDs available... but they are extremely expensive. Definitely out of the price range of most, especially since HDDs are so cheap they are practically disposable. You could get yourself a stack of 10,000 RPM drives for the price of one SLC drive of the same capacity.

Eventually we will see the end of the spinning disk, but not quite yet.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-30-2010, 06:33 PM

For those who might be interested, Digilloyd.com has a short review on the new Hybrid drives:

http://macperformanceguide.com/Stora...sXT-500GB.html
Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyj88 View Post
I've heard a lot of bad things about Seagate. I was looking for a 500Gb hard drive a few months ago and was warned that Seagate's have a 50-70% failure rate. How true this is I cannot say but it certainly made me lean toward Samsung.

I've purchased probably 50-100 Seagate drives over the past few years for minor consulting gigs. I'd say 3 have failed since then. Seagate has the highest quality, and one of the best warranties out there. Most of our SAN space at work use rebranded Seagate drives.. we are talking millions of $ in storage on Seagate platters and technology. The NS drives are some of the fastest I've come across on the SATA platform.

In short.. Buy Seagate.
Presonus StudioLive 16 Channel Mixer
Digimax D8 8-Channel Preamp
Command 8
Vocal and Instrument Recording/Live PTHD Mixing
Old 11-30-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
They are the way forward... just not yet.

There are some good, reliable SSDs available... but they are extremely expensive. Definitely out of the price range of most, especially since HDDs are so cheap they are practically disposable. You could get yourself a stack of 10,000 RPM drives for the price of one SLC drive of the same capacity.

Eventually we will see the end of the spinning disk, but not quite yet.
Where you see the best gains on SSD is in a RAID.. a true RAID.. not the 'hardware' RAID that comes on your standard motherboard today. We use SSD's for the host drives off of Dell and Adaptec RAID controllers at work for our VM cluster. Most of the time they are in a RAID-1 but we do have some RAID-10's.. the CHEAP SSD's kill once you pair them up. I'm planning on going with two RAID-10's for my HD3 box soon on an 8 port SAS Adaptec card.. smaller drives for OS, larger for storage...

Don't even get me started on the Z-Drives..
Command 8
Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX View Post
I've purchased probably 50-100 Seagate drives over the past few years for minor consulting gigs. I'd say 3 have failed since then. Seagate has the highest quality, and one of the best warranties out there. Most of our SAN space at work use rebranded Seagate drives.. we are talking millions of $ in storage on Seagate platters and technology. The NS drives are some of the fastest I've come across on the SATA platform.

In short.. Buy Seagate.
Wanna explain to me the Seagate baracuda drive failure epidemic? i had 4 seagate 250 gb drives. I have 1 left, after all of them failed. Im never buying another seagate drive. I feel its quite a conclusive outcome, they dont make quality drives, when not just 1, but 3 of them failed in under a year. They may have good warranties, but there is no warranty on data (you can back it up of course). I once read a review showing the actual tested failure rates of Seagate, Hitachi, and WD drives, Seagate was under half the time it took to fail in comparison to the WD drive, and the hitachi just barely eek'ed ahead of the WD. Coulden't tell you the specific drives, but it surely co-insides with what iv experienced with the 3 major drive corporations.

If they work for you and your company, go for it i guess, its just my two cents.

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 12-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit View Post
Wanna explain to me the Seagate baracuda drive failure epidemic? i had 4 seagate 250 gb drives. I have 1 left, after all of them failed. Im never buying another seagate drive. I feel its quite a conclusive outcome, they dont make quality drives, when not just 1, but 3 of them failed in under a year. They may have good warranties, but there is no warranty on data (you can back it up of course). I once read a review showing the actual tested failure rates of Seagate, Hitachi, and WD drives, Seagate was under half the time it took to fail in comparison to the WD drive, and the hitachi just barely eek'ed ahead of the WD. Coulden't tell you the specific drives, but it surely co-insides with what iv experienced with the 3 major drive corporations.

If they work for you and your company, go for it i guess, its just my two cents.

Nick

I've only bought the NS drives, or their other enterprise drives.. so I wouldn't know about the failure rates of the others.

Plus I use them in a RAID config, just in case of failure but also for speed.

I DID have two drives fail in a single RAID-6 on a system I was building.. but that was before I put it into production, the replacements arrived quickly and I haven't had an issue since.

My view on it is, if they last through the burn in period, usually two to three months, then you are set for years.
Command 8