Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 09-07-2019, 04:21 PM

Default Possible to route At-2020 USB Con Mic?

New to Pro Tools read over basic things.

My Card is M-Track.

Windows 10 64 6 GB i5

My budget is in other places at the moment or else I would buy a single focus rite.

Could really use this right now and record get things out, haven't been great lately
Old 09-08-2019, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Possible to route At-2020 USB Con Mic?

You have an interface with mic pres and phantom power, you don't need a USB mic, you need a regular dynamic or condenser mic.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-12-2019, 09:35 AM

I know it's not what I need, but, it's what I got/have atm. Thought I could be ambiguous about this post but I guess not. I'm pretty broke for new equipment, and I'm in a really really bad place mentally and really wanted to record on pro tools for therapy.

Still would like some help if anyone knows what to do.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:12 AM

I haven't personally used one, but since it has a headphone output you might be able to use it for recording/playback (if it has a driver or with ASIO4ALL). avid.force.com/pkb/articles/Troubleshooting/USB-Audio-Interface-troubleshooting-with-Pro-Tools-Windows-focusrite-edirol was created for troubleshooting but has the basic info you might need.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:26 PM

I have asio4all, how do I arm the AT 20 20 to a track or route it? That was my problem last time seeing is I'm new and don't have approved equipment.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
I haven't personally used one, but since it has a headphone output you might be able to use it for recording/playback (if it has a driver or with ASIO4ALL). avid.force.com/pkb/articles/Troubleshooting/USB-Audio-Interface-troubleshooting-with-Pro-Tools-Windows-focusrite-edirol was created for troubleshooting but has the basic info you might need.

It reads it in ASIO4ALL, not seeing anything in peripherals. WHat do I do?
Old 09-18-2019, 09:34 PM

You select the ASIO device in setup > Playback Engine > Playback engine pulldown.

If you don't see the inout and output in Setup>IO>Input/Output then click the default button.

Stuck? post screenshots of all those screens.

Make sure Windows itself and other applications are not trying to use the same audio device.

If you are very new to Pro Tools, just trying to work out how to use this is very hard/frustrating. The best bet is often to find a tutorial on YouTube (with a similar version of Pro Tools) doing something like you want to do (like record solo vocals?) and work through that.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You select the ASIO device in setup > Playback Engine > Playback engine pulldown.

If you don't see the inout and output in Setup>IO>Input/Output then click the default button.

Stuck? post screenshots of all those screens.

Make sure Windows itself and other applications are not trying to use the same audio device.

If you are very new to Pro Tools, just trying to work out how to use this is very hard/frustrating. The best bet is often to find a tutorial on YouTube (with a similar version of Pro Tools) doing something like you want to do (like record solo vocals?) and work through that.

Thank you got it first try. I'll start watching TUTS. It STARTS!!!
Old 09-18-2019, 10:44 PM

I'm gonna piggyback on this thread here because I have a similar issue.

Computer info: Windows 10 64 bit, decent i7 processor, 8gb ram.

I'm using a Zoom H4N with an XLR mic and it's not wanting to show up in Pro Tools. It shows up and works perfectly in Audacity, plug and play, so I know it's not a problem with the interface. When I go into pro tools, all I see is the built in laptop microphones 1 and 2, which I have tested by speaking into the laptop keyboard area.

After I couldn't get that to work, I tried installing ASIO4ALL. When I switch from Windows audio to ASIO4All in Playback Engine, it just disables the ability to use the built in mics (greyed out in Setup->I/O) without giving me access to the zoom input.

In the ASIO4ALL system tray menu, the H4N is shown as "idle." I have no idea what to do other than record into Audacity and then drag the WAV clip to pro tools.

Link to screenshots

Last edited by halcyonacoustic; 09-18-2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added screenshots
Old 09-19-2019, 10:27 AM

Hi, welcome to DUC.

Just to get this out the way, (and then I'll suggest some stuff below) it's normally not good to jump on other users threads this way. They often end up with confusing intertwined posts. The New Thread button is badly hidden on this forum, its at the top of each forum section page, like this one http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158 -- that small "New Thread" button. If you create your own thread you will often get clearer replies, can get post notification that only apply to your problem, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyonacoustic View Post
I'm gonna piggyback on this thread here because I have a similar issue.

Computer info: Windows 10 64 bit, decent i7 processor, 8gb ram.

I'm using a Zoom H4N with an XLR mic and it's not wanting to show up in Pro Tools. It shows up and works perfectly in Audacity, plug and play, so I know it's not a problem with the interface. When I go into pro tools, all I see is the built in laptop microphones 1 and 2, which I have tested by speaking into the laptop keyboard area.

After I couldn't get that to work, I tried installing ASIO4ALL. When I switch from Windows audio to ASIO4All in Playback Engine, it just disables the ability to use the built in mics (greyed out in Setup->I/O) without giving me access to the zoom input.

In the ASIO4ALL system tray menu, the H4N is shown as "idle." I have no idea what to do other than record into Audacity and then drag the WAV clip to pro tools.

Link to screenshots
"disabling the built in mics" is what you expect to happen. Pro Tools uses one Audio interface at a time. Both the inputs and outputs will be the Zoom when that is selected as the playback engine (do not try to combine devices via ASIO4ALL). If you have the Zoom selected as the playback Engine, the built in mics should not work. This also means the Zoom, not your computer, will provide audio output.

"When I go into pro tools, all I see is the built in laptop microphones 1 and 2", you mean they are the only names given for inputs in the IO selector on a track?

Did you try all the suggestions already posted in this thread? Did you default the IO?

Did you make sure that no other apps and Windows Sound itself do not have the Zoom device selected as an audio device. Make sure you other DAW applications are not running.

So even more thoroughly to fully default the IO: with the Zoom ASIO device selected as the Playback Engine (check it is, do not assume, Pro Tools may change that) then go to Setup>IO and on the Input page click on each path show and hit delete on your keyboard to remove it. Then when nothing is there, click the Default button. Repeat for the Output and Bus pages.

When you click those Default buttons do you get a "better" looking names for the Zoom IO?... actually the names are purely symbolic, this all likely worked before with the wrong names... so regardless of what you see as names try recoding one or both of the inputs... do you at least see the track meter move in Pro Tools? Remember to hear an output you have to be listening to the Zoom recorder output not your computer audio or any other device you have connected.

If you are still stuck, screenshot may help, but unfortunately your screenshots are very low-resolution and I cannot read anything on them. You can attach screenshots directly here on DUC, using the paperclip icon in the post editor. This old forum software is clunky but it works, ask if you get stuck. There are limits to the image dimensions, so you should cut out extraneous screen space with an image editor/or just screenshot the relevant part of the screen like just showing the relevant dialog box. If you do this, can you include a screenshots showing the ASIO4ALL configuration panel showing the Zoom H4N.