Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2015, 05:51 PM

Default Re: New Guy Here - Coming from Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post
Ah, thanks guys - I've only been paying attention to which of my plugins have migrated to 64bit on the AU side of the world...

I take it PT11 is 64 bit only then?

Will also check the Plugins (unused folder) as it seems like several of them besides just trigger 2 should be showing up.

I'll check out some of those shortcut links too.
Confused yet? Let me help you out here... ;-)

Pro Tools 11 and later, all 64 bit. 64 bit AAX (aka AAX-64) plugins only, technically in two flavors AAX-Native or AAX-DSP (if you have Pro Tools HD with the HDX DSP hardware). Unless stated it's assumed folks are talking about AAX-Native and nowadays it's assumed if a vendor states a new AAX release it will be 64-bit.

Pro Tools 10 is 32 bit, and supports RTAS and 32 bit AAX-Native (not 64 bit) or with the right hardware TDM (old fixed point DSP) or AAX-DSP (new floating point DSP that use the HDX harware) plugins

Pro Tools 9 and earlier is all 32 bit and supports RTAS (or TDM for old DSP based Pro Tools HD systems).

There are third party solutions to enable use of VST plugins, YMMV.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:14 PM

Thanks Darryl - to me it looks like the only 32 bit plugin I have in aax is the slate VCC, which should be coming out in 64 bit soon, so I'm not worried about it.

However, I did run into some issues tonight. I reinstalled SSD4 (drum sampler VI from slate, the arturia mini V virtual instruments, and I don't see them showing up in the audio suite menu. (I also reinstalled kontakt 5, which does seem to show up.

It may very well be that I don't know where to look for them. I tried creating both new MIDI and Instrument tracks and I don't see where to choose the input instrument for either of these track types. (Not sure I understand the difference anyway)...

Also reinstalled melodyne, including VST and AAX portions, and don't see it showing up as an option for the plugin list, nor in the audio suite...

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2015, 12:06 AM

You need to spend time reading the pro Tools Reference Guide and looking at tutorial videos on YouTube.

Audiosuite is something different from real-time processing plugins. Its essentially for batch/destructive processing of audio.

To use a VI in the simplest way, you usually create an instrument (not midi) track, and then insert a VI plugin on that track. Literally in the insert section of that track display click on a blank button/slot and the plugin options will list in a menu, you VIs are under "Instrument". Inserts are normally shown in the mix window, but you can add them to the edit window if you want.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post
However, I did run into some issues tonight. I reinstalled SSD4 (drum sampler VI from slate, the arturia mini V virtual instruments, and I don't see them showing up in the audio suite menu.
You may not look for SSD4 in the Audio Suite menu. You will find all your instruments (including SSD4)
in the plugin menu under "Instruments".
You will also get your plugins from there as there you will find all categories from EQ, Dynamic etc.
The Audio Suite menu is only used for non realtime audio processing which will be used for plugins which
introduce even more latency the DC will be able to handle particularly.
Under normal circumstances you open an insert slot in the track, select Stereo or Mono plugin and select
your plugin or VI from the submenus.

But let me recommend to watch some tutorial videos as you seem to be really new to Pro Tools.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...s+11+tutorials
(you may just find yourself what you need, there are videos for every application)

If you would want to get professional information there you will find great video tutorials for not too much
money as well.
http://www.groove3.com/str/pro-tools-training-videos/

All the best to you,

VRW

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, Mac OSX 10.10.2 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2
Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.3, Logic 10.1, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:28 AM

The reason Kontakt is in your Audiosuite list, but not your other VI's, is that there are probably some modules in it you can use as processing effects. But the main thing you'll use it for is as a VI, in which case you'll call it up from the "Instrument" submenu on the inserts.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:22 AM

Welcome Geoff...

May I ask why you left Logic? Which version where you using Pro X?

Tony
Old 02-04-2015, 07:50 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. Have been reading through the ref guide this week and watching a few videos as well. But I admit I am a total noob at PT! I'll check some of the videos that were mentioned, I definitely could use some basic orientation.

It seems like most of my plugins are showing up, now that I'm looking in the right place. I assumed that the Audiosuite was some kind of global plugin menu or something.

As far as why switch from Logic, I don't know that it'll be an either or. Have just heard several colleagues mention that the PT workflow is better, esp for recording real instruments and mixing. I was also working on a project last december and getting pretty frustrated with all of the spinning beach balls Logic (v9) was throwing my way. So, found a used PT license on ebay for relatively cheap, and thought it'd be worth the plunge, once i get over the learning curve.

I'll still use logic I'm sure, as I imagine it's better at some things than PT. In fact I think when I'm tracking people, probably for at least another month or three, I'll still be doing it in Logic, since my workflow there is much faster, until I get up to speed in PT.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:01 AM

Hi there,

I'm really happy to read this thread. I just highjack it because I am exactely in the same position. I bought PT10 two years ago but I was not really using it. I'm on PT11 right now and I work a lot in pre-production and arranging (that's why I use Logic). I also mix in Logic. However I would like to use PT permanentely for mixing.

Shortcuts:
I adepted Logic's shortcuts to PT as far as possible. However I really miss miss miss the magnifying glass and I'm struggeling with the "track hight" solution. So what. PS: Yes, I know PT has a zoom tool but it's behaving differently.

Mixer:
The mixer is a mixer. Busses are busses. etc... I have an analogue background so I basically have the same routing in both daws. In both DWAs I simply load my Template and then I tend to mix in the arrange/edit window as one can see all the plugin there too if you want.

Screensets:
I love those in Logic and I miss them in PT. PS: Again, I know PT has "window configuration" but it's behaving differently

And I also have a question
I guess it's not possible to switch a mono fader/channelstrip to a stereo fader and vice versa. I have to create either a mono or a stereo audio track. But how do I prepare my Template then?
I have preped empty tracks and busses. However If I get f.ex a stereo kick I can not drag the audio file to my mono fader. If I import that audio track I get an audio track without my sends and busses. That's a too much of manual work to do.

Have a nice day,
Dany
Old 09-24-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyg View Post
However I would like to use PT permanentely for mixing.
Me too uses PT12 and Logic together on one system and while I love Logic for a lot of things as well,
mixing itself definitely is a department where Pro Tools shines.
Itīs not only a more logical and more simple workflow than in Logic, itīs the more clear surface, itīs
got larger, more sensitive faders and, what I really appreciate in Pro Tools, you can UNDO every step
of your fader like all other stuff you can undo on a computer.
Logic definitely is a high class, professional DAW but you still CANīT UNDO whatever you have done
with your fader before. I have written to Apple several times about but that issue.
You can undo other stuff in the mixing window, no problem, but you canīt undo your fader movements.
So, trying out stuff on your fader always will be well prepared, you always will have to remember what
your last setting was before starting to experiment because you cannot simply skip and undo it.

Quote:
I guess it's not possible to switch a mono fader/channelstrip to a stereo fader and vice versa. I have to create either a mono or a stereo audio track. But how do I prepare my Template then?
I have preped empty tracks and busses. However If I get f.ex a stereo kick I can not drag the audio file to my mono fader. If I import that audio track I get an audio track without my sends and busses. That's a too much of manual work to do.
To stay fair this point goes to Logic.
In Logic you simply import an audio file to an audio track and you can change the input and layout settings
afterwards to whatever you like.
You can insert a Stereo track first nevertheless you can change your mixer channel input and layout to Mono,
Mono L and Mono R at any time.
So itīs easy to mix and treat a Stereo kick drum as Mono signal by just changing the settings on the channel.

You canīt do that in Pro Tools. Pro Tools recognizes the format of the file and you only can use a track type
conforming with this particular format.
However what you can do is to split a Stereo track into 2 Mono tracks "afterwards" but you only will get the 2
channels of that track separated.
In some cases, where there is no important stereo information on the particular track, you can split it and only
use one channel of it (either L or R), delete the other one.
I have seen that been done by many engineers during the years with Stereo bass tracks, Stereo kick drums,
Stereo hihats, percussions etc. but of course itīs not the same like in Logic.
In Logic the information just got summed into a Mono signal automatically in a way. Thatīs cool and very handy.
And you can reverse the setting at any time. Only your plugins will get lost on doing so as those of course are fixed
working either as a Mono or a Stereo plug in.

Quote:
Screensets: I love those in Logic and I miss them in PT. PS: Again, I know PT has "window configuration" but it's behaving differently
I understand that. Itīs very convenient and cool how Logic handles it.

Quote:
Mixer: I tend to mix in the arrange/edit window as one can see all the plugin there too if you want.
I am aware of that this is solved pretty conveniently in Logic too as you can open/hide the Mixer window within the
arrange/edit window with one click without leaving it but nevertheless I personally use this only for quick corrections
while mainly working in the arrange/edit window. When it comes to mixing I prefer to do it in the large, separate Mixer
Window. So for me personally there is not such a big difference between Pro Tools and Logic finally.
However I understand that if someone is used to mix in the arrange/edit window in Logic he might miss it in Pro Tools
because there you only can have the Mix window as a 2nd floating window opened in the arrange/edit window, itīs not
integrated.

Quote:
Shortcuts:
I adapted Logic's shortcuts to PT as far as possible. However I really miss miss miss the magnifying glass and I'm struggeling with the "track hight" solution. So what. PS: Yes, I know PT has a zoom tool but it's behaving differently.
To be honest, I have never tried to copy any shortcuts from Pro Tools to Logic and vica versa. Itīs just 2 different DAWs
and 2 different workflows (for me at least).
I have just learned those shortcuts I really do need on a daily base for both separately, only the particular, important ones.
I once gave up trying to become a real Shortcut Ninja like Russ used to call it and use as many as I can remember finally .
Itīs still enough to be able to work fluently but I think this is something everybody will solve how it feels best for himself.

Actually it is great to have both, Pro Tools and Logic, just because both offer great things and, yes, of course, you can do
everything you ever need only with one as well. Both are great, high quality DAWs. Anyway when it comes to audio recording
and mixing PT is in a class of itīs own
. Many other things are easier, more flexible and more creative in Logic.

You definitely do not need both, itīs nice to have it though.

Wishing you the very best and lots of fun in the beautiful Pro Tools world!
Old 09-24-2015, 07:30 AM

If you're on HD simply use the downmixer plugin in the first insert to fold-down from stereo to mono.

Darryl Ramm