Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2002, 04:03 PM

Default Re: It\'s like a monster movie! PT vs. SX

After comparing rough mixes of the same files done in PT LE and SX (the tracks were recorded on PT TDM) I was shocked at how much better SX sounded. In PT LE when you satart mixing everything becomes harsh and ugly. I don't even care about extra features, cause sound quality is what I care about the most. SX just has a superior mixer.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:36 PM

I appreciate the info comparing the two programs.Fact is, if you troll around on the Duc, nuendo or SX forums, you see a lot of the same folks on the different forums. Just as PT is discussed on other forums. SO DON'T FREAK. His post was clearly labeled PT vs.SX so if your not interested , don't click on the post! Much less write an 11 paragraph reply.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by knob twister:
if your not interested , don't click on the post!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2002, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I want nothing more than to put this mundane thread to rest, but being the curious cat that I am, again FunkdeFino, what is it you need to get the job done? What type of music is it you and your colleague are writing that makes PT seem like a toy ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, I could say we are electronic musicians, but that would imply that we make weird music with little squiggle and blip sounds. I could say we are remix artists, but that would imply that we are probably DJ's with no real musical ability to speak of. I could say we are experimentalists, but that is way to undefined.

The only explanation I can give is this.

I make music. I make it electronically. I play real stringed, percussion, and some wind instruments to flavor my productions so I approach my music from a musical background even though it is mostly electronically produced. For money I will re-mix or produce other artists work. For money I will do sound track work. Current technology allows me to do all of this from my computer.

I love my computer! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

38, 39 what ever it takes.
Old 09-18-2002, 11:45 PM

Parallel: 150 Kbps
Serial: 230 Kbps
USB 1.0: 12 Mbps
FireWire (IEEE 1394): 400 Mbps
USB 2.0: 480 Mbps
PCI: 1 Gbps
PCI Express: 2.5 Gbps

PCI Express isn't yet realized in the market, so to get the least amount of latency go with PCI.

Can you believe the Digi 002 is going to be Fire Wire? What are they thinking? They could of at least used USB2.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:35 AM

the only daw i will use is protools. anything else is sub-standard in the audio editing arena and frankly, that's all i care about.

sometimes you want the midi features of logic or cubase, as your choice may be, but who wants to use more than one music application at a time?
Old 09-19-2002, 12:48 AM

Quote:
There are always diplomatic ways of stating what areas of interest you would like DIGI to address. But all these hostile this vs. that threads are counter productive IMO.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't think that my thread is hostile or childish for that matter. I didn't make a post called PTLE Su*cks go buy Cubase. I conducted an experiment and wrote about my findings. If you find my words harsh well I am sorry you are offended.

Maybe we can have little thumbs up thumbs down symbols next to the threads.

Thumbs up = Steve will like this.
Thumbs down = Steve won't like this

Whether you agree with my approach or not, the fact is comparisons favorable or not make us stronger. You can say that findings of this test don't belong here, but I and obviously others do too. Digidesign clearly pays attention to this board. Maybe these so called childish posts will make them stand up and take notice to the fact that we the users of DAW's need more than what they are giving us. More options. More flexibility.

I would have gladly spent my entire budget with Digidesign, but I didn't. My reasons were clear and yes well informed.

Digidesign didn't get my money...again and at least now they know why. Maybe this helps to improve the product you own in some way.

Sorry for trying to help!

Quote:
You can run other apps, like Reason, Acid, even Logic. If you dig a little deeper than your average "no other software seems to like PT" post, you would see that there are workarounds.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Of course there are workarounds. I have dug deep enough to find this. In fact that has pretty much be the majority of my time here. Searching for workarounds (the rest being bad jokes). They are-a-plenty. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I did mention though that if the sound quality were somehow better coming from PT it would be worth the effort to use those workarounds. My little experiment proved (to me at least) that there were no marked improvements in sound quality by PT. That being the case. Wouldn't it be better to run a program that allows me to run other tools without workarounds?

Quote:
I switched to SX from PTLE. I see the benefit of letting others know what you find. There are too many newbies in the shops and on the net looking for why they should buy one product over another. All they have to go on is marketing crap.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thank you!

It surprises me that I am getting questions about the intent of my post and not about my findings.

I am always looking to learn more and find better more efficient was to do things. PTLE may be the most cost effective way to get the job done for some people. Others may need more tools.

All in all the general tone of most people that I talk to is that "Protools is the industry standard. It's the best." This can be misleading to someone wanting to spend their hard earned cash so that they can make music. Nearly every other DAW on the market in the same price range as the DIGI product line has more features and more 3rd party tools available. Logic would dictate that there must be a reason to pay more for less. My only intention was to find out what.

Unfortunately I found nothing special.

In my humble opinion PTLE is nothing more than Digidesigns "My First Sony" product. It's a toy compared to their TDM systems, but unfortunately for them it is also a toy compared it's competitors in the same price range.

I'm sure it gets the job done for alot of people, and that makes me happy. I wish it could get the job done for me!
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-19-2002, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SKI:
Just because you went with Cubase doesn't mean you can't still hangout on the DUC.
Take care
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks!

I would like to keep my eyes peeled to see if the full XP support pans out the way we all hope it will.

Good luck all! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-19-2002, 11:42 AM

Oh man, there's some people that get offended very fast here !!!
We dont need that kind of arguments over here,
people are free to use whatever they want.
If somebody want to use Cubase, Logic, Nuendo, Sonar, Samplitude, Performer, Mac, PC, Linux, Intel, AMD, Soundscape, thats OK, and people dont start a war everytime somebody says something different as you !!! We're all adults here,
I think ! Stop all those childish wars.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]