How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2015, 08:48 AM

Default MBOX2 lifeless protools 12

Hi all,
I have a installed crossgrade to pro tools 12.2 on a new windows PC and finally got the software installed by downgrading to windows 8. (Windows 10 is not supported by either ilok or protools) ilok and pro tools now opening but MBox2 is showing no signs of life ie not showing full LED's and not appearing as an interface in the program . There is a faint trace of light when DI button depressed but very little. There is also an acknowledgment beep from the laptop when plugging in. i plugged a different MBox2 into same laptop with similar results and then plugged both Mboxes into a G5 mac and they both lit up as normal. Any one got any suggestions on what might be the problem?
Old 09-11-2015, 08:55 AM

Default Re: MBOX2 lifeless protools 12

"New Windows PC" of course means nothing..we'll need to see the actual system specs. But in the meantime, make sure you disable ALL USB power management....
Old 09-11-2015, 11:01 AM

Assuming that you installed the latest drivers for it, does it show up as Windows "Playback device" option? You can see those options by selecting them after right clicking on the speaker icon in the lower right hand corner of your computer's desktop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazola View Post
Hi all,
I have a installed crossgrade to pro tools 12.2 on a new windows PC and finally got the software installed by downgrading to windows 8. (Windows 10 is not supported by either ilok or protools) ilok and pro tools now opening but MBox2 is showing no signs of life ie not showing full LED's and not appearing as an interface in the program . There is a faint trace of light when DI button depressed but very little. There is also an acknowledgment beep from the laptop when plugging in. i plugged a different MBox2 into same laptop with similar results and then plugged both Mboxes into a G5 mac and they both lit up as normal. Any one got any suggestions on what might be the problem?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:20 PM

ok sorry Lenovo z70-80 i7 2.4 GHz running windows 8.1 No idea if there are any issues with this model and inadequate USB power.(I remember an power issue with the MacBookPro a few years back) I was fishing to see if anyone else has had this kind of problem. I was wondering if a firmware upgrade oon the Mbox 2 might sort it? Thanks for the heads up on usb power management will look into it.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:38 PM

you assumed wrong Amack- I assumed drivers were included in 1.3 gigabyte install package dx drivers and assorted codecs.-that's all a bit old school sort of been a long time on the Mac's for me. Thank you problem now fixed to be replaced by a new one! I can only get the damn thing to run at 44.1 and won't open 48k sessions. onboard sound happy at 24/48 mbox 2 not! aah well here we go again.....
Old 09-11-2015, 05:42 PM

Mbox2 is not "officially supported" on PT12 http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nd-Peripherals. But, you may be able to make it work anyway if you're lucky. If its acting like other "third party interfaces" on PCs,you might want to look at - http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=368422. At least PT works quite well with ASIO4ALL using your computer's own audio device. Welcome to the world of PT on PCs!

Quote:
you assumed wrong Amack- I assumed drivers were included in 1.3 gigabyte install package dx drivers and assorted codecs.-that's all a bit old school sort of been a long time on the Mac's for me. Thank you problem now fixed to be replaced by a new one! I can only get the damn thing to run at 44.1 and won't open 48k sessions. onboard sound happy at 24/48 mbox 2 not! aah well here we go again.....
Old 09-12-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
[...] I can only get the damn thing to run at 44.1 and won't open 48k sessions.
I'm betting that has something to do with Windows settings. Try changing the clock for the internal sound card to 48 via Control Panel (or better yet just disable the onboard sound card altogether) and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:35 AM

Here's what has been working quite well for me and my son - http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2290863&postcount=27. Thank god for ASIO4ALL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
I'm betting that has something to do with Windows settings. Try changing the clock for the internal sound card to 48 via Control Panel (or better yet just disable the onboard sound card altogether) and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:42 AM

Why would anyone use asio4all when a product has its own drivers

When will this end ...

PS Why isn't your "son" here instead learning what PT can and can't do instead of you flooding this fine establishment with such outer world ideas that contradict everything that people who knows wth they are talking about!?!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-12-2015, 10:51 AM

Because using ASIO4ALL with the Windows "Playback device" is sometimes (all too often!) necessary to enable the use of those other interfaces and drivers by PT on PCs. If you (or others) had (have) trouble understanding the linked post, please let me know which part(s) and I will do my best to try to explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Why would anyone use asio4all when a product has its own drivers

When will this end ...