Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2013, 09:14 PM

Default Pro Tools SE lags infinitely at splash and says "initializing databases"

Hi, I recently purchased a Fast Track M-Audio interface that came with installation CDs to install Pro Tools SE version 8.0.3 and install the Fast Track drivers (version December 2010).

Pro Tools was working just fine several times today, until I tried to export a session to an audio file.

When I tried to export the session to an audio file, the dialog box increased from 4 minutes to 5 minutes to 5min:15sec to 5min:30sec to 5min:45sec, then Pro Tools crashed and crashed my system hard so bad that Windows Explorer was acting wierd and not showing icons on the panel of the bottom of the screen and the start button had a circle spinning infinitely and it was like this for 10 minutes until I gave up and tried to properly shut down Windows.

After waiting 45 minutes for Windows to shut down, I gave up and turned off the power to my laptop. Then I turned back on the power to my laptop and then I receive the start-up message: "Windows was not shut down properly".

Then when my user login has loaded then I try to launch Pro Tools and the horrible problem "initializing databases occurs". Then I log off, correctly shut down Windows, then boot Windows.

Then I try to launch Pro Tools again hoping that properly shutting down Windows would solve my problem since the hard crash is what appears to be causing the initialization error of Pro Tools SE. No luck, the initialization error of Pro Tools SE still occurs, the horrible infinite "initializing databases".

There is a splash screen when I launch Pro Tools SE, and the message in the splash says "initializing databases". Pro Tools SE lags at that screen infinitely and becomes non responsive staying there and task manager can't even shut it down it crashes so hard. The only way to shut off the crashed Pro Tools SE is to turn off the power to my laptop.

What do I do?

Has anyone else had this problem before specifically in Pro Tools SE?

I have seen search results on the Avid forums and on Google that indicate that other people have had similar problems with the "initializing databases" in Pro Tools 9 and other versions of Pro Tools.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools SE lags infinitely at splash and says "initializing databases"

I'm tried deleting preferences and databases using the steps shown on this page:
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...ces-databases/

It worked.

*Problem solved.*
Old 02-03-2013, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools SE lags infinitely at splash and says "initializing databases"

I trashed databases and preferences and problem solved.

I followed the steps on this page: http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/...ces-databases/

Edit: It still didn't work sometimes, and other people have reported that trashing databases and preferences still doesn't work for them. I found some causes of these problems and now Pro Tools works for me and does not give an infinite initializing databases splash.

Some things that I found by trial and error:

Problem (1): Pro Tools crashes when exporting when I tried to minimize the window and open Facebook.

Problem (2): Pro Tools still has infinite initializing databases at startup splash when I turn off Nero.

Solution (1): My processor is 1.8 GHZ. The minimum system requirements for Pro Tools 8.0.3 include a 1.8 GHZ processor. Minimum system requirements means that that is needed only for Pro Tools to exclusively use and no other data intensive programs can use that processing power at the same time. Solution is to (a) don't run data intensive programs like Google Chrome Facebook at same time as running Pro Tools, or (b) buy a faster processor.

Solution (2): It has already been reported to Avid and on other online forums that Pro Tools attempts to mount all drives, even CD drives and DVD drives, and will infinitely attempt to mount to drives that do not exist that will cause infinite initializing databases at startup splash. Solution is to (a) take out any CDs out of your computer's internal CD drive, (b) do not disconnect any external DVD or CD drives while running Pro Tools, (c) do not disconnect any external hard disc drives while running Pro Tools, (d) do not disconnect any solid state drives while running Pro Tools, and (e) if you have Nero installed on your computer for mounting an external DVD player you can not disable Nero before launching Pro Tools or else Pro Tools will infinitely try to mount the DVD drive that does not exist.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 PM

PT used to have problems with virtual CD/DVD drives if I recall correctly. I've never had a issue with Nero7 Ultimate or Nero Essentials 8. but im not using any virtual drives.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88