Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-06-2011, 02:04 AM

Default Pro Tools Startup Hangs on "Initializing Databases"

Hello,

I've had this problem for a few days now where on startup the Pro Tools box opens up with the logo saying "Loading Pro Tools..." and then the main windows opens with the text saying "Initializing Databases" at which point the program becomes unresponsive and stays like that until I shut it down from the task manager.
I have looked up some solutions but I can only find ones for PT8 and 7, but have tried trashing the prefs and databases and also downloaded the latest version but so far nothing has worked.
Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-06-2011, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Startup Hangs on "Initializing Databases"

Thanks,

I don't have the disks on me at the moment - I don't suppose theres any other way of reinstalling? only had PT for a few months...

Tom
Old 09-06-2011, 06:42 AM

Hi, you could try just clearing your prefs as outlined below. I've cleared the hanging "Initializing Database" a few times using this method.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE >Right-click on the DAE Prefs folder and delete.
C:\Documents and Settings\169538\Application Data > Right-click on the Digidesign folder and delete

Restart PT.

Good luck
Rob

"OOpps...just read the rest of your post.....!!!!"
Old 09-12-2011, 02:25 PM

Nothing seems to be working... might have to install with a PT8 disk I have and wait for a working update, but thanks for the help anyway,

Tom
Old 09-13-2011, 06:38 AM

Actually I've fixed it - uninstalled 9 again and installed the 8 disk that came with my Mbox, started the 8 which got the databases initialized, uninstalled 8 and reinstalled 9 to 9.0.0 and now it starts... Weird ...
Old 09-15-2011, 08:41 AM

Hi, I've had this problem a few times and I also had to go through the route of uninstalling and re-installing Pro Tools (8 to 9)

however, and I'm not sure what card you're running with your system but one way I've learnt to get passed the loading problem is to unplug and run Pro Tools with just the Asio 4 All driver. Once in Pro Tools, go into:
Setup > Play Back Engine
where it displays Current Engine as Asio4All, click and choose the card you're using. It should then ask if you want to change the current settings. Click yes so that Pro Tools resets and you should be back up and running.

At least, this works whenever I run into the problem (only using the Mbox 3G...so not sure how it will work with a bigger system)

Hopefully that will help in the future
Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 AM

"Once in Pro Tools, go into:
Setup > Play Back Engine
where it displays Current Engine as Asio4All..."

sorry, forgot to mention to re-plug in your card once pro tools has loaded with only the Asio4All drivers.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Hi again,

Things seem to have broken again... I partitioned my hard drive and installed an unupdated version of windows 7 and then PT and it worked fine until this morning when I opened it up and found that I had the same problem. I've checked and no windows updates have been installed and have also restored my system back to when it was working.
Also I can't seem to be able to change my settings as suggested by Tambles as my mouse pointer won't let me click on the menu...

Any other solutions??
Thanks,

Tom
Old 11-08-2011, 05:31 PM

I had a similar nightmare, except mine hung at "Starting Pro tools". No matter how many times I'd reinstall everything and even reformat my system drive, it always failed - except once or twice just to tease me. It turned out to be a problem with the hard drive. Absolutely everything else on my system worked fine, and the drive even checked out using WDs diagnostic tool. But, I replaced the drive with a very similar model and never had the problem again. I've found only two or three other people that had this issue. One happened to be the Avid Support Tech.

Good Luck.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:38 AM

I feared it could be this as my laptop isn't Avid qualified... I've already got an issue with the disk drive in that it won't play Warner reissue CDs and they're replacing it but I hope I'll need a new laptop to fix the problem which I'll get free under warranty...
Is there any way of checking if its the hard drive causing the problem though?

Thanks,

Tom