Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2010, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Anyone using external SSD to record audio

of course, i also note the wording on the apple store re ssd, pointing to 7200 as the more powerful and the ssd as the longer lasting...
"...Your MacBook Pro comes standardised with a 5,400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive. Choose a hard drive with a faster speed for greater performance. Or you can choose a solid-state drive that offers enhanced durability..."
Old 04-23-2010, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Anyone using external SSD to record audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenkrom View Post
No. When you delete files from SSD drives, the sectors are not cleared, they are simply flagged as available. It is when new info will be written to it that it'll erase. A low-level format would work, but would take quite a while.

There have been improvements to the block-rewrite penalty, espcially TRIM technology. The results aren't always that impressive, though. TechReport did a recent look at new models and the article describes SSD's problems and advantages very well. Most of the general info is on pages 1 and 2.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/18757/1
Actually, on a mac zeroing out the free space on my intel X25m SSD takes less than 10 minutes. This is around 20-30GB of space being zeroed. I've been using this drive as a boot drive since november and only had to do this once, and it brought everything right back up to the original speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgripp
So an SSD would make a great sample library drive, correct? Ignoring the price per/GB.
Excellent sample drives. If you start addressing the per/GB price you will probably find that for all but the most massive libraries the cost of putting them across a few SSD's isn't that bad. Remember that you can fill an SSD completely full and not get a seek time penalty like you would with an HDD. Also if you are streaming a serious sample library that uses lots of voices, you would normally have to spread it across a few HDD's, not really being able to use all of the space on each drive anyways.

I have EW Symphonic orchestra gold on an intel X-25m and have never had a problem having my template that includes 12 instances of play loaded, all of the samples stream from the same drive.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?