Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2020, 12:51 AM

Default Protools forced into small window on startup?

Whenever I open protools it opens fullscreen then seizes a bit and goes into a small window. That's the problem.

In the top right it will still show the "Window mode" icon as if the computer thinks it is currently in full screen and is giving you the option to make it smaller. If I click it nothing changes except that icon changes to the full screen symbol, and then if I click it again it will finally become full screen. But then I have to make the interior windows full screen too. Basically it ends up being a lot of clicks every time I open Protools.

Now I was able to find a workaround for this. If I override the high DPI scaling on protools then it will open in full screen. But if I do that it totally messes up plugins and makes them unusable. Their scaling is all wrong and it blocks access to certain buttons.

So I'm looking for a way to fix this small window issue without messing up anything else.

Attached is a picture of how it looks when it opens:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uhu.jpg (45.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-05-2020, 07:42 AM

Default Re: Protools forced into small window on startup?

Get it where you want it, then hold down Alt and close the Window by hitting F4. That will usually remember a window's size. Alternatively, go to the shortcut Icon for Pro Tools, right click, choose Properties and in that dialogue window, go to Run: Maximized. Try both.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-05-2020, 11:56 AM

Thank you for the suggestions. I tried both but unfortunately they didn't work. I think because the computer seems to think it is in fullscreen when it actually isn't, which I'm deducing from the incorrect window icon in the top right of the program in my screenshot.

I think it thinks it is in fullscreen, so setting it to open in fullscreen just makes it think it needs to do the same thing.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOOTOOO View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I tried both but unfortunately they didn't work. I think because the computer seems to think it is in fullscreen when it actually isn't, which I'm deducing from the incorrect window icon in the top right of the program in my screenshot.

I think it thinks it is in fullscreen, so setting it to open in fullscreen just makes it think it needs to do the same thing.
So what happens if you hit the Maximize "button" on the PT window? If it fills the screen, that's good. If it does not, then use the mouse to drag the side and bottom until it does fill the screen. Hit Alt+F4 to close and it SHOULD come back that way the next time you open it(it might work best if you actually open a session and also drag the MIX and EDIT windows to fill the screen)

If that still isn't working, maybe update the graphics driver. I've been running Windows 10 for a long time now and have not had any issues that the above doesn't solve.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-05-2020, 03:49 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried several variations of that to no avail. I can get it to full screen by dragging or clicking the maximize button several times, but no matter what I do it just opens the same way again. I think it is some deeper bug with protools or windows that is forcing it into a small window every time after startup.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOOOTOOO View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I tried several variations of that to no avail. I can get it to full screen by dragging or clicking the maximize button several times, but no matter what I do it just opens the same way again. I think it is some deeper bug with protools or windows that is forcing it into a small window every time after startup.
What resolution is the screen? Have you updated graphics drivers?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-05-2020, 06:13 PM

The screen resolution is 1920x1080 and I just checked and anything graphics related is up to date