Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 04-08-2009, 05:14 PM

Default The Best Studio Headphone

Hello again,

I am planning to buy a studio headphone for recording so that I won't bother the people in the house when they are at home. I have no clue which is the best for decent price like under $200. Old model prefer though. I've heard someone said that small headphones are good for recording, is it correct? Could someone with headphone experience give me some advices please? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:20 PM

Default Re: The Best Studio Headphone Question

I warmly recommend akg k518dj . Theyre way below 200 dollars, but good ones.
I originally bought them for portable player use, but i tried mixing with them with great results, no big difference between headphones and speakers when i compared how i wanted things. So...theres one budget headphones recommendation :)
Old 04-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Default Re: The Best Studio Headphone

I don't think you can fairly say any set of phones is best. I use Sony MDR-V600's and like them for several reasons. 1-they go over the ear instead of on top so they are comfy, and they seal well which keeps the phones sound in and the outside noise out. They can get plenty loud with most any headphone amp. They come with a mini plug and a threaded adapter. They are not flat(and most headphones aren't so I would never mix on these or any phones). And they are under 100 bucks(actually about $75 from ebay vendors, brand new in the box).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-08-2009, 06:50 PM

of course, mixing isnt recommended with headphones at all, but sometimes you got to make some compromises. AKG and Sony would be good candidates.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:23 PM

I'm sure lots of it is prefrence. Like others have said, I would never mix in headphones, so I don't really worrie about flat freq respons. I maily want something that has nice big lows and clear highs with nothing extra added to the mid range.

I'm using the AudioTechinca ATH-M40fs. They sound great when monitoring a recording through them. What I enjoy most is that the low end isn't lost. I can play along to a full drum kit and acoustic guitar, and still hear nice definition in a bass guitar that I'm playing. I also own a pair of Sony phones, and the bass is null plus they have a very exagerated upper midrange, which drives me nutz!

I think i paid about $75 for the M40fs. I really enjoy them!
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 PM

I'll add a vote for Sony mdr-7506s. They're an industry standard. $99 most places.

They're efficient (loud!) and will let you hear details that don't come out in your speakers. Like everyone else says, don't mix on headphones, just check for problems with them.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha]-[acksaw View Post
I'm sure lots of it is prefrence. Like others have said, I would never mix in headphones, so I don't really worrie about flat freq respons. I maily want something that has nice big lows and clear highs with nothing extra added to the mid range.

I'm using the AudioTechinca ATH-M40fs. They sound great when monitoring a recording through them. What I enjoy most is that the low end isn't lost. I can play along to a full drum kit and acoustic guitar, and still hear nice definition in a bass guitar that I'm playing. I also own a pair of Sony phones, and the bass is null plus they have a very exagerated upper midrange, which drives me nutz!

I think i paid about $75 for the M40fs. I really enjoy them!
I also have a pair of the M40fs's and you need to get replacement earpads and headpads, they DO NOT LAST.
luckily AT sells then on their web site.

I still say the Sennheiser's are the best for tracking
Old 04-15-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssiumatic View Post
of course, mixing isnt recommended with headphones at all, but sometimes you got to make some compromises. AKG and Sony would be good candidates.
This is very true.
But most people live in places where the walls are paper thin,
and since people in major cities live on top of each other in shoe boxed apartments,

People have no choice.

Like where I live, I can hear neighbors do private acts.
And I can hear every word in conversation.
its how most apartments are these days, because companies and cities
that build apartments are way too cheap to put some sort of insulation in the walls.

As far as Headphones,
I use the SONY - MDR-7506's

Also, remember that everyone's ears are different.
So just go with what you think is best for YOUR ears and mix.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 AM

I'm another fan of the Sony MDR-7506. I'll put them on occasionally when I'm doing a mixdown and they tend to reveal very subtle nuances that I otherwise wouldn't hear through my monitors. Also the odd time where I have to mix live to 2-track, they isolate pretty good.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:17 PM

Default Re: The Best Studio Headphone Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssiumatic View Post
I warmly recommend akg k518dj . Theyre way below 200 dollars, but good ones.
I originally bought them for portable player use, but i tried mixing with them with great results, no big difference between headphones and speakers when i compared how i wanted things. So...theres one budget headphones recommendation :)
O_O
Abyssiumatic, when he said mixing I dont think he meant that kind of mixing!
He wants GOOD Studio Monitoring Headphones!
...Er I strongly recommend Beyerdynamic DT Range For Sure!
They have been going strong for years and all the parts are replaceable on them!
If you can spend a bit more go for Sennheiser HD 650's.

"The DT770 features circular, fully sealed acoustic chambers with foam-filled velour ear cushions that fit over, rather than resting upon, the ears. Inside is a ported bass reflex system and the frequency response is quoted as 5Hz to 35kHz, though the roll-off limits are not specified. A 3m coiled cord is fitted to the phones and terminates in what appears to be a gold-plated quarter-inch jack plug -- but unscrew the barrel and there's a 3.5mm stereo jack inside. However, unlike that of the DT100, the cord doesn't unplug so replacement will involve some disassembly. Each phone is supported in an anodised aluminium yoke and these are in turn supported by a well padded, adjustable headband."
(SOS 1999)