Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-06-2016, 08:26 PM

Default PT 12 blinking play button/solid stop

I've started getting the blinking play button and solid blue stop issue since Pro Tools 12.6, and 12.6.1 is doing the same. I've read through several of the threads and when I try to change my Buffer Settings it completely freezes Pro Tools (I may not be waiting long enough, but it is over 1 or 2 minutes that Pro Tools stops responding).

The sad thing is, it works fine for a while on a new project, but when I have my project nearly finished, save it, and then try opening it up the next day, it does this almost every time.

I have been able to somewhat recover the project file if I change the hardware buffer size and then power off the MBOX Pro 3. Pro Tools will ask if I want to quit or save, and if I choose save it will save a new PTX file that will open

I don't know if it's the MBOX Pro 3, or Pro Tools 12.6.X, or if it's Vienna Ensemble Pro which I also use. But the issue is pointing more towards 12.6 and the MBOX.

I also have made sure the Dynamic Processing is not enabled on the Play button. I have had a click track, and also have it count off 3 bars (which sounds like it might also contribute to the issue). My HW settings are usually either 512 or 1024. This particular project is at 512. I also use the "Normal" value for Cache.
I don't know if buying a different audio interface will be helpful or not? It's not that I hope to buy a new interface, but this is just getting worse and worse, and fixing project files rather than recording/composing is becoming tedious.

My specs are:

Intel Core i7 2600
16 GB RAM
MBOX Pro 3 Firewire
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
3 x 1 TB Samsung Evo Pro SSD

Last edited by rmoat; 12-06-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:49 AM

Default Re: PT 12 blinking play button/solid stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoat View Post
I've started getting the blinking play button and solid blue stop issue since Pro Tools 12.6, and 12.6.1 is doing the same. I've read through several of the threads and when I try to change my Buffer Settings it completely freezes Pro Tools (I may not be waiting long enough, but it is over 1 or 2 minutes that Pro Tools stops responding).

The sad thing is, it works fine for a while on a new project, but when I have my project nearly finished, save it, and then try opening it up the next day, it does this almost every time.

I have been able to somewhat recover the project file if I change the hardware buffer size and then power off the MBOX Pro 3. Pro Tools will ask if I want to quit or save, and if I choose save it will save a new PTX file that will open

I don't know if it's the MBOX Pro 3, or Pro Tools 12.6.X, or if it's Vienna Ensemble Pro which I also use. But the issue is pointing more towards 12.6 and the MBOX.

I also have made sure the Dynamic Processing is not enabled on the Play button. I have had a click track, and also have it count off 3 bars (which sounds like it might also contribute to the issue). My HW settings are usually either 512 or 1024. This particular project is at 512. I also use the "Normal" value for Cache.
I don't know if buying a different audio interface will be helpful or not? It's not that I hope to buy a new interface, but this is just getting worse and worse, and fixing project files rather than recording/composing is becoming tedious.

My specs are:

Intel Core i7 2600
16 GB RAM
MBOX Pro 3 Firewire
Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
3 x 1 TB Samsung Evo Pro SSD
Option Clicking the Play Button will put you into a State of Waiting "Prime for Playback" just hit the Stop button and it should revert to normal operation

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...ack-modes.html

a little strange if it is doing this all the time .. do you have any peripherals attached to your system and selected ??

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-07-2016, 07:52 AM

Hi John,

I also meant to mention that I made sure that "Prime for Playback" was not checked either. The only thing I have checked is "Loop".

It seems like it only started recently since PT 12.6 came out. I don't have any peripherals other than the regular necessary hardware plugged in (iLok, Vienna Key, USB MIDI Keyboard)
Old 12-14-2016, 01:02 PM

I figured I can get past this issue by doing the following:

1. Change HW buffer to different setting (1024, if I'm using 512, or vice-versa).
2. Let Pro Tools sit there frozen for several minutes 2 - 5 minutes
3. Finally unfreezes, and then I can switch it back to the HW buffer I had it at and it plays

I noticed that when this happens though, when I save the PTX file again, it is very huge. It jumps from 2 - 4 MB to 40 MB. Not really sure what it's saving in that file during these issues.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:30 PM

Hi rmoat !

Try trashing databases and preferences first if not yet . If that fail try a clean reinstall of PT.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:59 PM

Did you accidentally enable "Wait for Midi Note"?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-14-2016, 10:09 PM

jeam25 - I have trashed the preferences several times. I have not tried a complete uninstall/reinstall, so maybe I'll need to look into that.

albee1952 - "Wait for Midi Note" is not enabled. Also "Prime for Playback" is also not enabled.

I mentioned this to our audio department at work, and they think it's the old MBOX Pro 3 drivers (Windows) and issues w/ PT 12.6.X. I think they have a 003 that is doing the same as mine. No problems with the MOTU interfaces that they use (though I think those who use the MOTU interfaces are still on PT 12.5). So it isn't conclusive or anything, it's just a guess...
Old 12-14-2016, 10:25 PM

Or accidentally put it "online?" (Alt-spacebar on Windows, then the blue clock flashes.) Since ALT is right next to the spacebar, it's easy to accidentally do that a few times a day.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Or accidentally put it "online?" (Alt-spacebar on Windows, then the blue clock flashes.) Since ALT is right next to the spacebar, it's easy to accidentally do that a few times a day.
I'll check this tonight, but I doubt it's in online mode due to that fact that it starts working again after changing the HW buffer (Normally if I'm lucky, though sometimes it requires a reboot after changing the HW buffer size).
Old 12-17-2016, 05:56 AM

Hi rmoat !

How are you doing on this ?! Its resolved ?