Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2020, 05:34 PM

Default Parallels and ProTools 18.4

In lieu of upgrading to the ProTools 19.2 (and having incompatible plugins etc) has anyone had any success with installing Parallels software and running an old version of the MacOS in order to use an earlier version of Protools? I'm using 18.4. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-03-2020, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Parallels and ProTools 18.4

It is totally unsuitable to run a real-time latency critical application like Pro Tools in any virtual machine, Parallels, VMware Fusion, etc. this has been covered here before.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It is totally unsuitable to run a real-time latency critical application like Pro Tools in any virtual machine, Parallels, VMware Fusion, etc. this has been covered here before.
Thanks much, Darryl. I'm new to the forum. Since we bought a lifetime license I really don't want to have to pay to upgrade my ProTools after just a couple years. Would partitioning my hard drive to install any earlier operating system work?
Old 01-03-2020, 07:48 PM

... yes I f your Mac is compatible with that old OS version. Or just stop riding the upgrade crazy train. Lots of professional DAW users will freeze systems configurations for years.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-03-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:25 PM

Thanks Darryl, is the same true for running an earlier OS version from an external hard drive?
Old 01-03-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyandDuke View Post
Thanks Darryl, is the same true for running an earlier OS version from an external hard drive?
Yes. You have to know what OS versions are supported on your Mac. There are lists/info online findable with google.

And one extra complication in modern Macs is you also need to disable the T2 protection if you want to boot from external drives.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:26 PM

Thanks so much, you've been a huge help!
Old 01-11-2020, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyandDuke View Post
In lieu of upgrading to the ProTools 19.2 (and having incompatible plugins etc) has anyone had any success with installing Parallels software and running an old version of the MacOS in order to use an earlier version of Protools? I'm using 18.4. Thanks in advance!
I think you don't quite understand what Parallels does - it's a piece of software that allows you to run Windows on a Mac. It has nothing to do with running another version of OSX on the same Mac.

What OSX are you running now? Pretty much every plugin that runs in PT 2018.x will run in PT 2019.x so there's no compatibility problems there. What's going to come into the arena is PT compatibility with different OSX versions. I suggest you look at this page: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart to figure out your roadmap

As far as running two different OSX versions on the same computer that's an easy one: use OSX disk utility to partition your system drive into two (or more) partitions and install the OSX you want to install there along with the PT version you want. Be aware though that getting older full OSX installers is not going to be easy but as Master Yoda would say: 'always solutions there are'. Amazon sells thumb drives with various OSX versions on them that are bootable.

QAPLA!
Old 01-11-2020, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I think you don't quite understand what Parallels does - it's a piece of software that allows you to run Windows on a Mac. It has nothing to do with running another version of OSX on the same Mac.

That’s incorrect. He is right. You can create VMs running an older version of Mac OS, not just Windows.

Having said that, I agree that partitioning and dual booting is a better option as it will chew less resources and probably be more stable with a finicky application like Pro Tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2020, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
That’s incorrect. He is right. You can create VMs running an older version of Mac OS, not just Windows.

Having said that, I agree that partitioning and dual booting is a better option as it will chew less resources and probably be more stable with a finicky application like Pro Tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm confused about your first statement. What's incorrect about what I wrote? Parallels has nothing to do with running another version of OSX on a Mac - I've read the product page for it. Never said anything about not being able to create a VM to run another version of OSX.

QAPLA!