Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2010, 12:37 PM

Default > Waves Vocal Rider - Live

Anyone tried Waves Vocal Rider in a live situation? Even with much compression, I focus a lot of my attention riding the lead vocal with certain singers when mixing, sometimes to the peril of other cues. Vocal Rider does an impressive job on recorded vocals and looks like it could prove useful for live. Anyone had experience with it?
Old 05-27-2010, 05:16 AM

Default Re: > Waves Vocal Rider - Live

I haven't tried it live but something I've found that helps me is I create a "Band" VCA and a "Vocal" VCA.They scope only the groups that make up vocals and the band,not individual channels. That allows me to keep the vocal at nominal and control the entire band on a group level,and I feel like it preserves my mix pretty well if I hav to drop the band -1 or -2db below the vocal VCA. I use groups for everything and not VCAs so it my or may not work depending on how you setup your console.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:32 AM

Default Re: > Waves Vocal Rider - Live

it seems there are people using it: http://waveslive.com/html/poochs-cor...n-guitars.aspx

this is what waves suggests to use:

Here’s a useful four-plugin chain for female vocals that sounds great in any live sound situation:
Open up the SSL E-Channel for your main EQ, to add just a touch of brightness.

Next in line, use the C4 Multiband Compressor as both a wide de-esser with high cross points between 2.6 and 8kHz, as well as to shape the edges of the vocal range.

Close out the vocal processing with some hard compression, courtesy of Renaissance Vox: Threshold at -13 dB and -10 dB output level.

Finally, use Vocal Rider Live to ride the levels the vocal channel within a 4 dB up and down range.