Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-13-2008, 04:52 PM

Default Apple Computers - most bang for buck, which to buy

I've been using power macs of various incarnations and a 12" powerbook for pro tools over the last 10 years. Its now time to upgrade - I currently have a Mirrored Drive Doors Dual 1.25Ghz 1GB ram power mac, and I'll be keeping the powerbook for now also. The MDD has recently been sold along with my 2x 15" Apple LCD studio displays.

I realize all of the implications with buying a new mac as far as compatibility of pro tools goes so lets not get into a discussion on that - it'll be compatible in a month or so, and others have had success with running under 10.5.

I have been looking at a new Dual 2.8Ghz quad core Mac Pro with a 23" apple display - which is the most expensive yet fast, reliable and versatile option at the moment. But having said that, I would like to explore other options just to see if for what im doing (quite large pro tools sessions and Final Cut Pro) would run perfectly fine on a less expensive setup.

The other options, im pretty open to, such as:
- A 24" iMac 2.4Ghz
- A 15" MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz
- A Macbook
- A Mac Mini + 23" Display

What do you reckon - and dont just all say Mac Pro, let me know what you are getting out of your iMacs, MBP's, MB's and Mini's ok.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Apple Computers - most bang for buck, which to buy

Quote:

- A 24" iMac 2.4Ghz
- A 15" MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz
- A Macbook
- A Mac Mini + 23" Display

What do you reckon - and dont just all say Mac Pro, let me know what you are getting out of your iMacs, MBP's, MB's and Mini's ok.
I have to say, just from a RAM standpoint, the mac pro would be your best bet. The max RAM on those other solutions is up to 4 GB.

NOT that 4 GB is anything to sneeze at.

However, thinking long term, with the possibility of just being able to upgrade RAM, I would say the Mac Pro.

Also, the fact that you can have 4 internal drives before you even need to use externals.

You can get what you can most afford now, and upgrade later (RAM, HDs, etc).

With those other options, there's a limit. A limit some may feel somewhat....confined by.

Just my 2 Hz.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Apple Computers - most bang for buck, which to buy

I'm in the same boat.
I would go for Mac Pro if you plan to keep
another desktop for 10 years (longterm). I want to run UAD
in addition to other software which would make
MacPro the most conducive.