Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2001, 01:37 PM

Default 6045 and the lack of support from digidesign

well actually i`m a G3 beige user and i do need to use the ADAT connection. I had my computer first and nobody ever told me it would not work like it should. It works with every other computer ! does it ? Now G4 also having those problems.

i must also say that i use the digi 001 with Studio Vision Pro , but not with DAE cause it cannot find the audiocard ! so i use asio drivers BUT error 6045 pops up.

today was terrible, every 2 minutes. and even if i keep the software idle.
I record in 24bit, 44.1khz cause it should not give you those errors.

i think digidesign should rethink the matter and solve the problem.

The digi 001 switches things by itself. I`m doing digitests every time i shut down, last time something was wrong with the S/PDIF.

Now i haven`t had any in 2 hours. i have to switch every button every time , kill preference files every time.

Digidesign just give us a updated rom for the digi 001 that solves the problem !
I pay for software including support.

In these days of technical evolution , i find it hard to believe that the 6045 problem still isn`t fixed !!!! don`t give the lame excuses that you won`t fix it cause it`s on a beige g3 cause it is not only on those computers !

It`s not DAE ,i think, it is the box, something might be wrong with the internal clock or whatever.

find a solution and no work arounds , cause we all pay for it to work even the local guy who just bought a g4. It`s money , yea sure but it is quality that we want. somewhere down the line digidesign might neglected that.
Old 10-02-2001, 02:39 PM

Default Re: 6045 and the lack of support from digidesign

From Digi:

"Power Macintosh Beige G3 - Digi 001 Performance Issues & Requirements

During the development of the Pro Tools LE, Digidesign tested the Apple "beige" G3 line (all speeds) with Digi 001. During testing we encountered random occurrences of a particular software error with our DAE (Digidesign Audio Engine) and the beige G3 line. The error, "DAE -6045" would pop-up inexplicably during normal operation of Pro Tools LE. While this error is non-fatal, it will stop playback or record of a Pro Tools LE system. Digidesign engineering spent weeks trying to find the cause of this error without a successful fix.

There is some good news - to continue through the error simply click OK. We suggest saving the session and rebooting the computer to completely clear the error. Although all other aspects of Digi 001 and beige G3 configuration function satisfactory, the repetitive nature of this error caused us concern here at Digidesign. This explains why Digidesign is not formally supporting beige G3 configurations with 001 (we still support beige G3's with Audiomedia III cards and TDM systems). We did not make this decision lightly due to the large installed base of beige G3 customers. However, here at Digidesign, we believe in shipping solid systems that our customers can count on."
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 10-02-2001, 03:53 PM

But finally, there must be a way to fix such a problem, even if one needs to slightly alter, reconfigure or swap some hardware. For instance, let's say that the error originates from some physical problem on the 001 PCI card and someone was able to pinpoint it, you would think that it would be possible to swap in a new componant onto the card, or do something somehow to make it work right. Or even if it is a software thing, Digi should be able to find the problem and fix it somehow. If they can design and build such a complex recording system, I'm sure they can pinpoint and fix one single problem.

Interesting that Digi does not officially support the beige Macs merely due to this 6045 error. And now the 867 seems to have this error problem a lot too... I wonder if Digi will also reject the 867 due to this...???

Also, I wonder why it takes so damn long for Digi to test the new Macs when they come out. You would think that they would get their hands on the new Macs the second they exist, and test them immediately. Are we all expected to just wait and wait (seemingly forever) before buying a system?

Or maybe Digi is realizing now that many pro guys are not buying TDM systems because one can easily make a good pro recording with a 001 as long as one uses a good AD converter... and an 8-channel outboard converter must be used via the ADAT lightpipe... so maybe Digi likes the fact that this 6045 error problem plagues lightpipe users... I've already seen some comments saying that a good fix for the 6045 error is to just get a TDM. My response to that would be inappropriate to post here.

Ummm... no sir... TDM is great and all, but it is simply way too overpriced for small studios. I've been eyeballing Pro Tools since it first came out but never bought anything due to cost. It's not that I couldn't afford it, but it's just a bad dollar to performance investment, unless of course you have a decent sized studio with lots of business where that TDM system can pay for itself and earn money. But for anyone else, it's like throwing a LOT of money in the trash.

I just hope and pray that Digi continues to adequately support an affordable Pro Tools system (like the 001)... otherwise we're all gonna have to switch over to the other stuff (Nuendo, Digital Performer, etc). I am grateful that Digi has indeed given us the 001, and for $750 or whatever, it's a damn good deal. But at the same time, it should at least fully work and function as advertised.

I'm thrilled to death over my new 001 system... well, I will be really thrilled once I get the 6045 error to go away for good. I just want the system to work as it's supposed to... that's all I ask.

-imp
Old 10-02-2001, 05:53 PM

On approved computers, the 001 works as advertised. If you use the system on a computer that is not approved, you do so at your own risk.
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:25 PM

That makes sense. I never realized the great degree of "risk" I was taking by buying a brand new 867 Mac. Gee, I wonder whether or not the 867s will make it onto the "001 approved" list. I guess not, just like the beige machines did not.

So I guess the reality is that I just totally wasted a large amount of money here. That really sucks. Well, I guess Digital Performer or some other DAW will probably actually WORK on an 867. Or maybe I'll just get an MX-2424 and be done with this super-problematic computer DAW stuff. Gee, I just wanna record MUSIC! I am very soured by this Digi experience.

I am especially irritated right now after coming from a session in which I got at least five or six 6045 errors... and they always like to pop up at the end of seven minute takes, ruining the takes. It took a lot of restraint to keep from throwing the 001 unit right out the window. Recording can be stressful enough without unacceptable equipment failures like this.

And again, WHY does it take Digi so long to approve the new Mac machines? I thought I was doing a good thing by buying the latest greatest Mac for maximum performance with my new 001. I guess I should have bought some old used computer... something on the approved list. What a joke.

The 001 seemed like a good deal, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. That rule seems to ALWAYS apply. Cannot get around it. And while $750 may be very cheap for a full featured recording system, it's still a lot of money to piss down the drain.

-very unhappy imp
Old 10-02-2001, 10:47 PM

I got fed up with using an approved digi system, I had alot of trouble, and the wait at the digi tech support I think is bad, for a tech business. Try contacting SweetWater, I just baught a 733 quicksilver from them (i dont think it is digi approved), but they set it up with a glyph x project, fire wire drive (i dont think that is digi approved). and it works great. All i did was send them my 001, and they shiped me a turn key system with great tech support. May be for a fee they can strem line your system for you. Call and ask for Justin Spitler (800)222-4700 xe1341

It sucks when gear dosen't work, but is heaven when it does.
Hope it all works out for you.
Notefarm.
Old 10-03-2001, 02:20 AM

first of all my shop where i bought it never told me that it would not work 100% .
every time a post like this gets published some reply by saving digidesigns ass.
Digidesign has some great ideas but i refuse to believe that there isn`t a cure and also please stop saying , you shouldn`t bought it on a non approved computer because it is on many G4 ALSO ! many people even got it once so i want to know why did it happen which will let us to a solution.

stop thinking about G3 beige and just look why that error comes up. nobody knows !
ATI update extension or midi protools extension removel i did it all , it is not that. I don`t think it is a PCI thing it`s the protools thing. Don`t blame it on apple (because they had the G3 first).

I tried different cache settings, i got enough memory low extensions, no open transport, just updated to 9.2 . Only thing that rests now for me is to zap the pram really good and delete all my pref files.

But i`m not getting paid to find a solution , digidesign is.

I believe Digidesign made some excellent stuff along side Studio Vision (opcode) but end 90`s like most commerce quantity became more important than quality.

And now i want quality back.
just write a rom so we can update the box and pci card , with some software telling the box not to see an error where there isn`t one.

It`s not a speed problem , even if i just have midi the thing comes up !
maybe OMS ?

i read every report and lame excuse there is regarding that error but if someone replies now, please reply thinking about all macintoshes. The digi list is never correct, i found many other things that should be on the list and gear on the list not working.

take care
Old 10-03-2001, 04:07 AM

So what you're saying, Park is that a G4/400, for instance will work perfectly with Digi 001 ? ADAT on optical, 48 K 24 bit sessions with no 6045 whatsoever ???
Old 10-03-2001, 07:39 AM

OK....I'll try again :
Park, so what you're saying, is that a G4/400, for instance will work perfectly with Digi 001 ? :
ADAT on optical, 48 K, 24 bit sessions with no 6045 whatsoever ???
Old 10-03-2001, 08:08 AM

I'm running a G4/400 and have had no problems. It never crashes and I have not gotten any errors.

It is a dedicated machine to PT LE and I am running a very skinny set of extensions. I have few applications on the machine that don't apply to audio.

Yes, I have used the Lightpipe to import 8 tracks at a time from ADAT. No problems.

I know it is frustrating to have problems.