Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2015, 11:40 PM

Default Lost iLok key

How can I transfer my ProTools license on a new iLok key?
Old 10-22-2015, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Lost iLok key

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
How can I transfer my ProTools license on a new iLok key?
Hi,

If you've lost your ilok key with the licence on it? Then it's not that simple as you've lost the licence as well with the ilok key.

You need to report it lost to ilok.com and they will advise what to do.

Actually just found this on the Avid site...

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...icy&popup=true

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:30 AM

I've lost my iLok key as well. Had it synchronized with my iLok account, but didn't have insurance (my bad!) it was just PT10-11 license inside no plugins, though.

I bought PT10 back in 2011 while I was studying at RECW in the US. Last time I moved where I live (South America) I was sure I did kept it safe, now I can't seem to find it.

So, before submitting RMA and all that jazz... does this means I have to buy a new license and iLok key?

ResidenRenzo.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentRenzo View Post
I've lost my iLok key as well. Had it synchronized with my iLok account, but didn't have insurance (my bad!) it was just PT10-11 license inside no plugins, though.

I bought PT10 back in 2011 while I was studying at RECW in the US. Last time I moved where I live (South America) I was sure I did kept it safe, now I can't seem to find it.

So, before submitting RMA and all that jazz... does this means I have to buy a new license and iLok key?

ResidenRenzo.
You will have to buy a new ilok2 for sure but start a RMA with Pace/ilok.com and see what they say. For the future maybe a ZDT with the TLC activated is not a bad idea

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-06-2015, 09:48 AM

ZDT with TLC activated is worth it. If only to put your mind at ease. I've never lost an iLok, and I doubt I ever will... But knowing that my licenses are safe is wonderful.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:27 AM

Here's what they say...

"Without TLC enabled: software publishers do not allow us to replace the licenses. You will need to work with them to receive replacement licenses. An RMA order is required, but there is no charge to place the report."

I don't understand that "work with them" bit. Does this means to ask avid for new license, a discount or something like that?

Peace!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:37 AM

So here's how it works. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken about any of the details.

ZDT is a service you have to pay for on a yearly basis. You are issued temporary replacement licenses in the event your iLok is lost, stolen, or broken. This means you can get back to work as soon as you get your hands on a new iLok. ZDT does NOT cover the iLok hardware itself, so you need to use a backup iLok or buy a new one.

If your iLok is lost, stolen, or broken, and you do not have TLC enabled, you must alert the companies that issued your the permanent licenses (Avid, Slate, etc) and ask them for replacements. Unless you have TLC enabled...

TLC can be enabled by the user. It is only available for iLoks that have a ZDT plan. It comes at no additional cost, but you must let your iLok sync every once in awhile (30 days I think).

If your iLok is lost, stolen, or broken, and you do have TLC enabled, you will be issued temporary replacement licenses, and iLok will obtain permanent replacement licenses for you within a few weeks. Once again, ZDT does NOT cover the iLok hardware itself, even if you have TLC enabled, so you need to use a backup iLok or buy a new one.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:04 AM

Since I can't use PT now, I'm doing now my demos with Garage Band.

I already did the RMA stuff on iLok website. Even if I get ZDT, I don't have a replacement iLok So I would have to order a new one since I'm in South America (Uruguay). S&H expenses add a lot of cost and it would be slow.

The thing that baffles me now is this:

Submit a web case with an Avid Support Code (ASC) at http://www.avid.com/ASCform or call Avid Customer Support at 650-237-1700 (choose option 2 to enter your ASC). If you do not have an ASC, you can purchase a Pro Tools software or Pro Tools HD Avid Support Code at Avid Store.

So it seems I have to purchase that ASC for 40-80 bucks to move on and get assistance?

Peace!
Old 11-06-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentRenzo View Post
Since I can't use PT now, I'm doing now my demos with Garage Band.

I already did the RMA stuff on iLok website. Even if I get ZDT, I don't have a replacement iLok So I would have to order a new one since I'm in South America (Uruguay). S&H expenses add a lot of cost and it would be slow.

The thing that baffles me now is this:

Submit a web case with an Avid Support Code (ASC) at http://www.avid.com/ASCform or call Avid Customer Support at 650-237-1700 (choose option 2 to enter your ASC). If you do not have an ASC, you can purchase a Pro Tools software or Pro Tools HD Avid Support Code at Avid Store.

So it seems I have to purchase that ASC for 40-80 bucks to move on and get assistance?

Peace!
You can't buy ZDT for the lost or broken ilok after the fact. Yhis needs to be in place before anything happens. And when replaced your ZDT coverage is also lost so you would need to buy that again for the new ilok.

So .. If you buy ZDT now nothing will happen as you can't sync the ilok which is needed and there is also a cool down period of 7 days for the new ilok and the ZDT.

Your choices here is contact Avid by buying a ASC ticket and see if they will replace your license or give you a discount or do nothing. The cost is around $50 and a new ilok $50 and IF you had ZDT you would have an additional cost of $49 to
Ilok .com so if i were in that situation I would probably buy a second hand license. There is one here in the buy and sell section for $160 including paypal and transfer via ilok.com.

Very Important : You have to treat your iloks as an expensive Asset like you would do with anything hardware related. Its an expensive event if you loose an ilok with 10's of thousands in licenses and have no ZDT and TLC.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-06-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
if i were in that situation I would probably buy a second hand license. There is one here in the buy and sell section for $160 including paypal and transfer via ilok.com.
I agree. That seems to be the most sensible solution.

Quote:
Very Important : You have to treat your iloks as an expensive Asset like you would do with anything hardware related. Its an expensive event if you loose an ilok with 10's of thousands in licenses and have no ZDT and TLC.
You're right, it's "hard lesson learned the hard(est) way"
I don't usually lose even a 1/4 cable plug on my setup.
I think I remember last time I used PT - when I did some Foley recordings at a location. Very bad mistake to take iLok outside my DAW desk
There were just PT 10-11 licences on it, no fancy or expensive plugins.
But it still hurts! Anyway...

Thanks a lot for your support,
Peace!