Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2010, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Rumour or Fact

You are of course correct in the big picture and long run.

However, Bluray sales are still going up...and there can't be _that_ many enthusiasts (like myself) to make that happen. Why?
Bluray is just one of those "see it and there is no going back" kinds of deals.
Bluray to iTunes HD movies is a different ballgame to 96k to 44.1 audio.
Most people will really notice the difference and people like myself will pay for that difference.
Blu-Ray has alot better options, extras, picture quality, sound quality.

Yes digital downloads have their place. I use them too, but Blu-Ray is just so much better.
Hands down waaay better and that will probably mean it will survive for a good while. My 2 cents YMMV etc..

best
Janne A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Nobody's going to invest another dime in assembly lines related to physical media.

Software dictates all hardware demand. Only the most avid movie collectors want to see a film more than a few times. It's a far more disposable medium than music recordings.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:19 AM

What will keep physical media alive, is Gaming.
Just as Gaming has pushed computer specs, especially on the pC side.

Living the dream.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:58 AM

While I would agree that the days of physical media are numbered one only needs to look at NetFlix and RedBox to see that physical media is alive and well. Its going to take a big shift in bandwidth to kill physical media and most places just dont have the bandwidth yet to stream full HD - or at least at an affordable level that Joe Shmoe is willing to pay for.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
While I would agree that the days of physical media are numbered one only needs to look at NetFlix and RedBox to see that physical media is alive and well. Its going to take a big shift in bandwidth to kill physical media and most places just dont have the bandwidth yet to stream full HD - or at least at an affordable level that Joe Shmoe is willing to pay for.
Considering cable HD is 1080i (at least in the north east) and runs at 80 MBPS, and cable internet is 25 Mbps at most, I would imagine that for FULL 1080p broadcast, we are a while from that. I like my blueray. And on a 720p Plasma, Blueray kicks cable but 10:1, even at the same level.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:23 PM

Full broadcast HD on the BBC is only 12mbs and that is bouncing off the sat and transmitter system, for internet I am doing tests at 1920x1080p 5mbs and the quality is very very good.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Really? Even with services like Steam making inroads into the delivery world?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Gonna have to disagree on both sides.

First off:

We have things like the Playstation Network and XBox Live, just for consoles, which is very quickly eliminating the need to actually go out and purchase your console games. The Wii has picked this up, and I'm sure handhelds are going to follow suit very quickly. Devices like the iPhone/iPod/iPad are entirely download only for their games, and software development for those devices is rivaled by none.

Second:

The difference between a gaming computer and a professional audio/video computer has never been more apparent. Multi-core processors are prime examples of this. I've been reading up on several gaming forums those who call the new hexa-core i7 as a "waste of money" because it does nothing to improve frame rate. Games are highly dependent purely on CPU and GPU speed, and do very little to take advantage of multiple cores and mass amounts of RAM. Plugins, tracks, bussing... these all demand more resources rather than speed alone. Running a DAW by itself is multitasking, while running a game isn't really.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515