Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2010, 11:07 AM

Default Rumour or Fact

http://michaelkammes.com/audio/when-...ho-digidesign/

Living the dream.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Rumour or Fact

Interesting.. who knows tho?..

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-26-2010, 11:24 AM

Probably rumour (again) although it will happen eventually. Back to the close future, my boss was at NAB and was told PT's 8.04 will fix A LOT of the problems still lurking - quicktime being the major one for me in post anyway. Now hopefully that is fact...
D
Old 04-26-2010, 11:49 AM

I really can't see how dedicated processors are going away. HD could easily turn into a USB-3 box containing floating point chips but my understanding is that there are still way too many advantages to segregating DSP from an operating system. Heck, this is why we have separate graphics processors and RAM.

While native has caught up with eight year old dedicated DSP processing, it isn't like the capabilities of dedicated processing have stood still. How to move forward with dedicated processing and what features to offer is obviously going to make or break Avid's future in both audio and video. It would be pretty stupid for them to rush any new hardware to market in a time when high end studios aren't doing very well. I suspect this is a lot of why PT-8 didn't include new HD hardware. The merger with Euphonix also brings a lot of new, higher-end DSP, conversion and MADI support to the table.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
at NAB and was told PT's 8.04 will fix A LOT of the problems still lurking
I was going to make a sarcastic remark (I mean, we do hear that every time don't we?) but now I think it is best to just have blind hope.

You know what? I don't care what Avid decides to do. Honestly, Pro Tools is a tool, along with everything else in my place. Tools wear out, they get replaced. NOTHING about Pro Tools is irreplaceable. Well, actually, the DUC is irreplaceable. Once Avid sucks that down I'll be really angry.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I was going to make a sarcastic remark (I mean, we do hear that every time don't we?) but now I think it is best to just have blind hope.
Oh it is blind hope alright but I'm holding out for this one - I imagine my boss was told that because he was ranting for a good solid 5 min about the software issues and the fact the mojo was a piece of **** (actually the avid guy tried to distance himself from the mojo pretty quickly, decklink hear i come...), then again I doubt he wasn't the only one to be giving out to them over the course of the week...

Quote:
Digi may have been a "hardware company" but Avid has slowly turned into a "software company"
Definitely, that was the impression my boss got after talking about the mojo

Honestly if they fix the software, I'm happy and won't be upgrading my HD stuff until it breaks or is unsupported. On the upside if they do revamp HD systems they'll be loads of accel cards going cheap for parts or upgrades...
D
Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post

You know what? I don't care what Avid decides to do. Honestly, Pro Tools is a tool, along with everything else in my place. Tools wear out, they get replaced. NOTHING about Pro Tools is irreplaceable. Well, actually, the DUC is irreplaceable. Once Avid sucks that down I'll be really angry.
Amen to that!
www.tnfilmlocations.com
Old 04-27-2010, 02:55 PM

Personally I'd love to see the link between Pro Tools hardware and software broken, so we have far more choice in interfaces, without having to use S/PDIF or AES/EBU for convertors that won't interface with HD cards. MC5 finally lets you use one non-Avid video I/O box, so hopefully Pro Tools will follow suit.

Of course you should still be able to buy an Avid audio interface, but just not be forced in to it.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
MC5 finally lets you use one non-Avid video I/O box, so hopefully Pro Tools will follow suit.
small gotcha on that, it's for output only

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-28-2010, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
Of course you should still be able to buy an Avid audio interface, but just not be forced in to it.
That would be good - and Avid should give the users an incentive to WANT their interfaces - by making them top-of-their-class.

The HD stuff is average to OK at best. The LE stuff is just garbage.

Good software alone will not tempt me back to the Avid fold unless either a) I can use the hardware of my choosing or b) Avid makes boxes that are up there with the best of the best..