Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 03-11-2015, 05:08 AM

Default Pro Tools and Nuendo Hardware syncing

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has experience of locking together a PTHD and Nuendo with full sync (trilevel, wordclock, 9-pin/some other transport). I'm talking to a production whose sound designer has a very developed session in Nuendo and the dialogue is in Pro Tools, so moving it all to one system isn't going to work at this point. The film is dialogue heavy, with minimal FX but lots of subtle atmos/sound design from Nuendo. I know I could get him to print his Nuendo session as audio but I don't think that is going to suit the production.

Ideal scenario for me as a mixer would be to lock the two together, feed a few 5.1 wide stems (say 24 channel) from Nuendo into Pro Tools which would playback dialogue and be used for dialogue premix and final mixing, printing either internally or to a satellite PT. The sound designer will most likely operate the Nuendo session at the same time during the mix if changes are required in his balance.

Any advice on specific hardware setup or a better way to do it? Obviously I would be using a Sync HD, more interested in a reliable Nuendo solution that plays nicely with Pro Tools.

Rob Walker AMPS
Old 03-11-2015, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools and Nuendo Hardware syncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermisonic View Post
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has experience of locking together a PTHD and Nuendo with full sync (trilevel, wordclock, 9-pin/some other transport). I'm talking to a production whose sound designer has a very developed session in Nuendo and the dialogue is in Pro Tools, so moving it all to one system isn't going to work at this point. The film is dialogue heavy, with minimal FX but lots of subtle atmos/sound design from Nuendo. I know I could get him to print his Nuendo session as audio but I don't think that is going to suit the production.

Ideal scenario for me as a mixer would be to lock the two together, feed a few 5.1 wide stems (say 24 channel) from Nuendo into Pro Tools which would playback dialogue and be used for dialogue premix and final mixing, printing either internally or to a satellite PT. The sound designer will most likely operate the Nuendo session at the same time during the mix if changes are required in his balance.

Any advice on specific hardware setup or a better way to do it? Obviously I would be using a Sync HD, more interested in a reliable Nuendo solution that plays nicely with Pro Tools.

Rob Walker AMPS
Can Nuendo not export you an OMF or an AAF? if not, I recall seeing some software made by I think SSL (can't remember the name) that may allows you to export OMF from Nuendo
Old 03-11-2015, 06:26 AM

It can I believe, too much automation to go that route (so I am told)

Rob Walker AMPS
Old 03-11-2015, 04:17 PM

For Tri level frame sync you need the Nuendo Syncstation (equivalent to Sync HD).
I suggest you lock the Nuendo station to Wordclock and feed it LTC or MTC to sync it to the PT station.
However if you can get SB in the US to lend you a Syncstation you can also lock the machine to 9 pin if needed. It is also a quick LTC chaser if you just feed it TC.

At my studio we usually mix and match PT and Nuendo rigs (usually PT is the stem recorder) and there is always a solution.

The studio FB page
Old 03-11-2015, 04:18 PM

And yes, if the session is automation-heavy you would want to keep the original session and not export an AAF where you would lose a lot of info (same goes for PT to Nuendo).

The studio FB page
Old 03-11-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
For Tri level frame sync you need the Nuendo Syncstation (equivalent to Sync HD).
I suggest you lock the Nuendo station to Wordclock and feed it LTC or MTC to sync it to the PT station.
However if you can get SB in the US to lend you a Syncstation you can also lock the machine to 9 pin if needed. It is also a quick LTC chaser if you just feed it TC.

At my studio we usually mix and match PT and Nuendo rigs (usually PT is the stem recorder) and there is always a solution.
Yes doesn't Nuemdo have a built in timecode generator? You can send LTC to the Sync HD, wordclock both rigs to a common clock and have PTHD chase Nuendo

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 03-12-2015, 12:53 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I think the chances are the sync station maybe overkill if MTC is a reliable positional reference with Nuendo. The master transport would be Pro Tools. I'll find out more armed with your info.

Thanks again,

Rob Walker AMPS
Old 03-12-2015, 02:26 AM

No worries Rob. If you need any specific pointers regarding Nuendo shoot me a PM.

Best,

Steven

The studio FB page