Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2001, 08:17 AM

Default Rippling events

We have recently installed LE in our audio suite here at the production house. I am not familiar with this software (Sacrilege:I currently use VST at my home studio), so I have a couple of questions:

1) How do you insert events into the timeline and ripple everything past that point?

2) In VST, I generally start a folder for each project and have all the files recorded to that folder. This makes for easy archiving. Is this a good idea in Protools? Any reason not to?

3) There seem to be very few effects in this software. Can plugins be added? Where do I find these?

4) The timeline control tools for how zoomed in you can get are extremely limited. Is there a way to change these at all or is it just a limitation of the LE software?
Old 11-14-2001, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Rippling events

Shannon,
In my limited ability to answer, here goes:

1) I don't understand what you mean. Please add a bit more info.

2) This is exactly what I do. Everything is in a DigiDesign directory. Under that directory, I have directories for each song, or artist. Within those directories are the session file, and anotheri dirctory called audio that holds the track data.

3) Plug-ins should have been installed as part of the basic installation process, except for D-Verb, which has it's own installation. There are about 15 or so plug ins provided. At the top of each track are 5 inster points. Click on each of those insert points and you should be given plug-in options to use.

4) Not sure what you mean by timeline. You can zoom in and look at track data, correct? Are you talking about the controls up on the very top timeline? Those are pretty limited, but I don't know anything of VST so I can't compare.

Cheers,
Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Shannon Dunn:
We have recently installed LE in our audio suite here at the production house. I am not familiar with this software (Sacrilege:I currently use VST at my home studio), so I have a couple of questions:

1) How do you insert events into the timeline and ripple everything past that point?

2) In VST, I generally start a folder for each project and have all the files recorded to that folder. This makes for easy archiving. Is this a good idea in Protools? Any reason not to?

3) There seem to be very few effects in this software. Can plugins be added? Where do I find these?

4) The timeline control tools for how zoomed in you can get are extremely limited. Is there a way to change these at all or is it just a limitation of the LE software?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 11-14-2001, 09:45 AM

Well, as far as I can see, there are 5 preset timeline zooms. Or am I just missing something? I mean, the difference between 4 and 5 for instance is quite considerable! I would like to have a more variable way to zoom in and out of the timeline than to just pick one of 5 presets. Is that possible? Or am I stuck with just 5 preset sizes of the zoom?
The question about folders is just that I can create a folder which has all the wav's and the metadata file(session) in VST. Is it ok to do this in PT?
Also, my question about ripple is this:
I want to take a chunk of audio and place it between two other chunks in a long line of chunks that I have edited together. I want the timeline or series of those chunks to expand a hole for me to insert the new chunk into. Not just write over everything in the distance of the new chunk. I want to insert the new piece into the middle of the sequence, and have the ones past that point to move down and make room for the new piece. I want the new piece or chunk to insert as opposed to overwrite. I hope that makes sense.
Old 11-14-2001, 09:52 AM

Not being at my system I don't feel comfortable answering question '1' right now. I suggest however that you visit QuickTime Tutorials and Quick Tips

ProTools does this automatically. When you select a location for the project to be stored, it creates a folder and puts everything in there.

TONS of effects are available. All it takes is money. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] see Software PlugIns

In what way are they limited? I can zoom all the way in to the sample level, or all the way out so that the entire session fits on the screen, or anywhere in between. There is a funny thing though that if you click to zoom in twice too closely, it seems to think you double-clicked and takes you way in. Other than that, I've had no problems. Also you can pre-set zoom levels in several different ways. Lots of functionality, just a learning curve (as with anything) to grasp how to do things. Those first two links I gave you in response to question '1' have helped me BUNCHES in getting started.

Good luck!
Kurt
Old 11-14-2001, 09:54 AM

Excellent! Thanks a lot!
Old 11-14-2001, 03:33 PM

for answer #1 I think your looking to use the shuffle option instead of grid, slip or spot.
Old 11-14-2001, 04:45 PM

"Well, as far as I can see, there are 5 preset timeline zooms. Or am I just missing something?"

You can also save custom zoom settings as memory locations. Very handy.

Mike
Old 11-14-2001, 05:08 PM

if you click and hold the zoom button and move the mouse left and right, you can zoom to an infinately varible level.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:19 PM

Check out the 14 day trial of the full version of Gold Waves Bundle at www.waves.com
I just finished using it and it is great. Has about every plugin you could ever want and great quality. Make sure you download the new optimized reverb if you purchase the program as it is 230% more efficient on the CPU than the one that comes with the package.
Good luck,
Allen