Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-06-2004, 05:04 PM

Default 1st pro tools setup - Help me out?

G'day. Im looking at getting my first pro tools setup in a couple of months, so I thought I would post a message with what I was thinking of getting, and see what you guys think of it. We want to be able to record ourselves at decent quality whenever we like; i.e. basically have this setup somewhere so if we just feel like jamming we can record it and keep it if it turns out any good; it also has to be relatively portable so we can take it to practice if we want, record a live gig maybe, etc.

I've included a headphone amp/mixer setup, because we want to be able to be playing live in different rooms of the house, and be able to hear each other and adjust our own mixes however we want. The headphone has 4 channels and a master stereo, so Id have a drums/guitar/bass/scratch vocals and the master stereo that we could each adjust. To my understanding, all I would have to do is assign say the 7 drum tracks to their own bus, and then output it via the analog output 1, etc.

Computer= 'Stein machine,A 64 3200+ with 2 200gb SATA Hdd's just for audio, DVD Burner for backup
Digi002r
Focusrite OctoPre w ADAT Option OR Digimax 96 - into 002r via ADAT
Mackie HR 824 Monitors
Furman HDS-6 Headphone distribution thingy
4 Furman HR-6 Headphone mixers
Mics: 2 AKG D112's (Bass Drum, Bass cab)
4 Shure SM 57's (2x tom mics, guitar mic and bass mic)
1 Rode NT4 (Stereo Drum Overhead)
1 ROde NT3 (Drum Overhead)
1 Shure SM58 (Snare Drum - we already have this)

So what do you guys reckon ? Any feedback/info you can give me would be appreciated. My spending limit is about $10k AU - at the moment this setup including taxes and shipping to Australia is going to set me back about $7,500. I can go up to $10k, but Id only really like to if I was going to see a noticeable improvement in either ease of use or sound quality/flexibility.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:07 PM

Default Re: 1st pro tools setup - Help me out?

i recommend getting quality pre amps

I saw you have a s6ereo overhead and mono one just wondering why unless you ment room mic for the mono
'
one
Old 03-06-2004, 05:10 PM

Aren't the pre-amps in the Focusrite OctoPre or Digimax 96k any good? The NT-3 I thought we could use as a supplementary mic for the drums; i.e. put it wherever we needed it. Because we'll be playing in different rooms most of the time, there wouldnt be much point in having a room mic.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:13 PM

they're probably pretty good

as i have heard good things but i mean a one or 2 channel kick ***** pre

for vocals and if you do over dubs anything really

I am not saying dont get the octo pre you need quanitity too but then there's quality
Old 03-06-2004, 05:42 PM

The 002's lightpipe doesn't support sample rates higher than 48kHz, so you could save a little money by getting one of the cheaper (with equally good preamps) Presonus Digimax. I highly recommend a MP20, also from presonus. I would go for a little more versatility in your mic selection. A couple 57's is always a necessity, but I'd look at the audix D series. I really love the D4 on bass guitar (instead of getting two AKG D112's), the D3 and D2 on toms, and the D1 makes for a great snare mic. This would give you a much more diverse assortment of microphones, and they aren't that expensive. I'd think about looking at a really diverse large diaphragm condenser that would handle vocals too (like a C414-bULS, not the TL-II, the ULS is far more versatile and works on most Vox too, just not as "shimmery"). As for monitors, I really like my HR824's, but a lot of people don't, so make sure you audition a large selection at several volumes (especially low volumes), you might find that you can save a lot of money here or wind up with monitors that are far better to your ears for the same price. Keep in mind that you're going to need a gazillion cables that tend to cost more than your average mic cable (trs-trs, xlr-trs, etc...). I personally love the furman system, it's great! I usually create an aux send to a hardware out on each audio track, with the drums getting a stereo track for the main LR in on the furman to be shared with any talkbacks fi I'm out of mono channels (the stereo is a seperate stereo channel, not a master volume knob, there is a button that allows you to include it with the other four channels, so 6 ins total, leaving 1 and 2 for your main mix to the studio monitors; send your headphones out of channels 3 through 8). I just wish I could find LAN cables for the furman that weren't so kinkprone...at a good price. One thing you don't have listed at all is a couple of good DI's. I like Countryman DI's, active flat and very uncolored, suits what I do but you may want something more "boutique". You can record the dry guitars signals for future experimentation with alternative amp setups, plugins, or emulators. You haven't mentioned the actual headphones you've planned on getting either. For tracking, almost any higher impedence closed around the ear headphones will do. I like to use the super cheap ones from AKG for tracking, the sound is alright at best, but they are extremely comfortable and don't leak into the mics at all.

Your first rig looks like it's going to be pretty killer and a lot of fun for you to get to know. Let us know how things go.

-Chris
Old 03-06-2004, 05:44 PM

Oops, I forgot to mention that you should probably put some of that money towards a waves plugin bundle, the bigger the better, super versatile packages with prices that reflect that versatility.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:44 PM

So a set of Audix D1,2,3,4 would be better than using a D112, two SM 57's and a snare? It doesnt work out any more expensive, really, so that sounds good to me.

As per the preamp, the Digimax 96k has inbuilt compressor/limiter/gate, would that be worth the extra couple of hundred over the Digimax LT ? I realise that the 96k compatability is useless in a pro tools system, but looking at the cost of say an ACP-88 it doesnt seem like a bad deal.

Is it really necessary to have other preamps apart from the main 8-channel, whichever one we go for? - i.e. will it really make a difference to vocals if I use an MP-20 for them? We've also decided on a Rode NTK as our main vocal mic, as listening to samples its the one our vocalist prefers.

Would the MP-20 work well with this? Are there any quality alternatives to an MP-20 for this purpose? (vocals through an NTK, possible also used for drum overhead processing while live recording)

Is it better to invest in hardware or software? For the price of some of those Waves plugin, we could get something like an MP-80 or an ACP-88.