Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 01-05-2021, 01:19 PM

Default Stuck at the First Hurdle - retrieving 'saved' project

Hi there:

I am brand new to using Pro Tools First and have become stuck right at the start...

-I have begun with 'Create' a project and successfully recorded a couple of test tracks.
-I assume, I have done this correctly in that I am able to visualise the sound input and am able to listen back to these tracks
-I then have named the project and clicked 'Save' under File

However, upon subsequently reopening of Pro Tools, I am met with the welcoming window which lists the names of projects available to 'Open'. When I click on 'Open' nothing happens... I have tried this several times and have never been able to access recordings made on a previous session...

It is curious that while my project titles are saved and displayed, and I am given the opportunity to 'Open' them, but I cannot actually open or retrieve any recordings...

It seems like the most rudimentary step that I am missing - perhaps my recordings are never actually being saved or perhaps they are 'there', somewhere, but I cannot retrieve?

Any advice for a confused newbie!?
Old 01-06-2021, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Stuck at the First Hurdle - retrieving 'saved' project

I guess first let's see if your problems are related to projects in general or if they are not backing up to the cloud properly.

I would try to create a new project, this time make sure the backup to cloud checkbox is NOT checked.
Add a couple of test tracks, record some audio, MIDI or whatever you want to test out. Then, like you did, File -> Save. After saving, choose File -> Close Project, which will close the project, but not PT.
You should now be back at the start window and should see your new local project in the list. Try opening it and see if you get any further. If not, then something could be wrong with your installation and I would uninstall and reinstall PTF.

If you were able to open it successfully, then it would seem that PTF is working, but the actual cloud back is not.

For another test, create a new project and this time make sure the Backup to Cloud checkbox IS checked. Just like before, add some tracks and record some audio. Now go to File -> Save. After saving, go to Window -> Task Manager, which will display the task manager window. Now go to File -> Close project. After the project closes, you should see some activity in the task manager window about syncing with the cloud. Wait until all tasks have completed, then close PTF. Now restart PTF and see if you can open the project you just created.

Hope this helps.

System Details
Old 01-17-2021, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Stuck at the First Hurdle - retrieving 'saved' project

Thanks Will K:
I haven't managed the time just yet but thank you for the suggestions. I will follow your advice and get back with an update.
All the best
Andrew