How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-08-2020, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Plugins disappear during session

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2one View Post
I made sure the hdd never sleeps but kept the display turning off after 1 hour and still had to restart PT to relink. Same message about license appeared. I do have a physical iLoc but was trying out the cloud with the new PT. Guess I’ll have to go back and try that next. I don’t think it’s my internet connection as I have no issues with anything else dropping (it’s 500 down and a pretty good modem).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But do you really know you're not getting dropouts? All it takes is one little blip to create a problem.

QAPLA!
Old 12-09-2020, 04:11 PM

Okay. I went back and changed my settings again by not only adjusting under the energy saver but also going into the terminal and keeping the computer from ever sleeping. The terminal command is “caffeinate -s” to keep the MacBook Pro from sleeping while on AC power. So far this seems to be working. I plan to leave PT open overnight and see if this holds. (The only drawback may be with the life of the display according to Apple.) I’ll update here either way in case someone else has this issue. I also looked at keeping it from sleeping while closed but currently it’s only in my studio and never closed so that is not an issue. This may change as I do more research on the display lifespan as I do have 2 external monitors connected also.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Okay. I went back and changed my settings again by not only adjusting under the energy saver but also going into the terminal and keeping the computer from ever sleeping. The terminal command is “caffeinate -s” to keep the MacBook Pro from sleeping while on AC power. So far this seems to be working. I plan to leave PT open overnight and see if this holds. (The only drawback may be with the life of the display according to Apple.) I’ll update here either way in case someone else has this issue. I also looked at keeping it from sleeping while closed but currently it’s only in my studio and never closed so that is not an issue. This may change as I do more research on the display lifespan as I do have 2 external monitors connected also.

Unless Apple changed something you don't need to use a Terminal command to keep the computer from sleeping. Go to system preferences then click on energy saver and set computer sleep all the way to the right to never sleep. You can set the display to sleep whenever you want and that won't affect things. Also make sure to uncheck 'put hard disks to sleep'.

QAPLA!
Old 12-09-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Unless Apple changed something you don't need to use a Terminal command to keep the computer from sleeping. Go to system preferences then click on energy saver and set computer sleep all the way to the right to never sleep. You can set the display to sleep whenever you want and that won't affect things. Also make sure to uncheck 'put hard disks to sleep'.

I did that but wanted to cover all my basses to make sure it was not the cloud causing the issue. I am letting the display go to the screen saver at this point and plan on dialing settings back until I know for sure where the issue occurs. I’m not totally sure that the terminal command actually continues after closing the terminal.

Old 12-11-2020, 02:58 PM

Alas, they disappeared again. Must be the cloud. Whether from the internet connection dropping or just the cloud in general I don’t know.

Old 12-12-2020, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Alas, they disappeared again. Must be the cloud. Whether from the internet connection dropping or just the cloud in general I don’t know.

Please try using a real iLok and report back. If that works then you have your answer. If not then more investigation is needed.

QAPLA!
Old 01-16-2021, 05:48 PM

I had asked Avid support about this also. They sent me a message telling me to update the iLok License Manager. I checked and it was already up to date. However, ever since I checked, the problem is no more. I don’t know what changed. I didn’t update anything. I’m thinking it was on Avid’s end and they fixed it...whatever it was. Regardless, all my plug-ins are there even if I leave Pro Tools running for days without restarting. (I tested this)

Old 01-16-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
There's your problem. Get a real physical iLok and ditch the cloud stuff.
I tried using my Pro Tools license and plugins on the Ilok Cloud and loved it - as long as my internet was on. Unfortunately it tends to go down and I couldn't even boot Pro Tools because I needed an internet connection to put the Pro Tools license back on the iLok. I'm not an expert in in ILM (seems a bit clunky to me) so I don't know if there's a way to still use the physical iLok when the internet is down or not. Frankly, I got tired of trying to figure it out and decided it's not that big a deal to just move my iLok from the desktop to the MBP.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-17-2021, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
I tried using my Pro Tools license and plugins on the Ilok Cloud and loved it - as long as my internet was on. Unfortunately it tends to go down and I couldn't even boot Pro Tools because I needed an internet connection to put the Pro Tools license back on the iLok. I'm not an expert in in ILM (seems a bit clunky to me) so I don't know if there's a way to still use the physical iLok when the internet is down or not. Frankly, I got tired of trying to figure it out and decided it's not that big a deal to just move my iLok from the desktop to the MBP.
You can only have the license asset in one place and once it's on the iLok you don't need internet access.

QAPLA!
Old 01-17-2021, 05:38 AM

I've had my PT license and many other licenses on ilok cloud now for about eight months and there has been a total of two instances of "Authorization failed because no license found. PT will now quit." Internet worked fine. Went to ILM and confirmed that the license was not there. First time it happened, the license reappeared after a few hours without me doing anything, second time it was a matter of minutes. I keep my mac awake and PT running most of the time. My internet connection is very reliable.

I think these were errors on either Pace's or Avid's side. There are many reports lately of assorted license problems. Anyway, I'm happy with iLok Cloud. Each to their own.