Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 11-12-2020, 05:18 PM

Default Re: ProTools 2020.11

FWIW, My install on Mojave went fine. No issues yet.

I tend to agree with the criticism from others about "Dark Mode". It's not very soothing to the eye on my screen. The white text is rather harsh against the darker background. hmmm. Perhaps it's also worth giving it time to become normal.

UPDATE: It actually looks pretty nice on my Macbook Pro.

blake

Last edited by Blake Henderson; 11-12-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:33 PM

Default I hope they fix night mode on Windows 10

The top 2 bars of the app plus every single plugin window are still white. Cmon Avid. Please send them a feature request on my behalf

Pro Tools night mode:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1npR...ew?usp=sharing

Normal apps night mode:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19fd...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by jeffro; 11-18-2020 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Similar threads merged.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:40 PM

One of the things about macOS' system-wide dark mode that makes it work is that element borders have this pixel thin light outline that helps distinguish them from their surroundings. I feel like that's what's missing here.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Worst Dark Mode Ever

I agree it's pretty bad, although I've been forcing myself to work with it for awhile and it's starting to grow on me a bit. Or maybe it's a Stockholm Syndrome thing.

I did find that turning the brightness all the way up in the color palette helped to reduce how intense the bright/dark contrast was in some areas.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:49 PM

I like it personally

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2020, 06:52 PM

I think its okay, but I am also happy that I can turn it back to what works with these old eyes. Since its a first draft, just turn it off and see how it changes over the next few releases.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-12-2020, 06:57 PM

Can’t tell if my plugins are active or inactive.

Bye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1
Old 11-12-2020, 07:00 PM

Did *anybody* test dark mode? How can you not hit the nail on the head with something so simple? If you can't hit stuff like this out of the box provide some end-user control over darkness/button illumination.

It's crazy that Pro Tools has is a color palette control that does not do anything useful. It's just like it's broken... it's such an utterly confusing/useless way of setting anything. That's where adjustments for this stuff should live. My main objection against a dark background you get super saturated bright waveforms that hit you in the face so much that it overpowers the dark UI. And I can't find a sweet spot with system wide screen brightness. This should not be rocket science but this looks like a first effort that needs work and some real testing.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-12-2020 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:56 PM

For anybody else concerned (edit:) Setup>Preferences>UI Theme>Classic and be gone with this until Avid gets their act more together.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-12-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
If I may be an a-hole, I’ll say that I LIKE the dark mode. Maybe because I also have had no other issues happen in a quick bit of opening old sessions and running them. There are no lines nor markers that I am used to seeing that are missing; I had to tweak my track saturation and brightness settings to get some colour back, but that’s there too.

So... not sure if the nitpickers have miscalibrated monitors or something (I do, for photography and video), but... taste differences aside... I see nothing functionally missing in dark mode like others have complained, plus I just plain like it better.

$0.02 (CAD)
Good call on the Saturation and Brightness. Bumping the brightness really helped. The 2 main things that are still hard on my eyes are that the white text doesn't read as easily, especially in the Tracks List and Clip List, but also on the Track Name in the Edit Window to some degree. and the GREEN. Jeeez, the Green in the whole Transport Section in the top of the Edit Window is really harsh and burning my eyes. It's almost too cool in temperature. The Blue in the Tool selector (for example) is really intense as well. (My display is calibrated, but it is standalone and doesn't do the Night Shift thing)

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro