Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 11-12-2020, 11:36 AM

Default Dark theme in Pro Tools 2020.11

Not a big fan of Dark Mode, it really looks confusing to me, no depth/contrast at all. Will try and use it for a while, maybe I get used to it, if not, I can just change back to classic look. But so far, Pro Tools 2020.11 runs smoothly on my iMac Pro.
iMac Pro 3.2 Ghz 8 Core Intel Xeon W • 32GB 2666 MHz DDR4 • Amphion Two15 w/ Amphion Amp500 • UAD Apollo 8 Duo • UAD-2 Satellite Quad • Avid Artist Mix • Kemper Profiling Amp • BSS DPR-402 Stereo Compressor • Pro Tools 2023.12.1 • MacOS 14.3.1

Last edited by jeffro; 11-18-2020 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Split out from 2020.11 thread to focus on Dark Mode topic
Old 11-12-2020, 12:09 PM

Default Re: ProTools 2020.11

I like dark mode. I also like dark mode in YouTube - a lot easier on the eyes ate least for me. The inability to fix the MIDI event list bugs is my big issue; thankfully I still have 2019.6 installed and working.

QAPLA!
Old 11-12-2020, 12:50 PM

Great update! Absolutely love dark mode...
Old 11-12-2020, 02:18 PM

I really love Pro Tools, and I disagree with people who come on this forum to bash it, but I have to say that this is a very poor implementation of a "dark" mode. There was no need to make it SO dark. I colour my tracks, and for some reason it was decided that there had to be a whole bunch of black blended into the track colours, which completely defeats the point of colouring your tracks... they become indistinguishable. Idiotic is the word that comes to mind.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivestudios View Post
I really love Pro Tools, and I disagree with people who come on this forum to bash it, but I have to say that this is a very poor implementation of a "dark" mode. There was no need to make it SO dark. I colour my tracks, and for some reason it was decided that there had to be a whole bunch of black blended into the track colours, which completely defeats the point of colouring your tracks... they become indistinguishable. Idiotic is the word that comes to mind.
Agree. I turned it off instantly. It's way too different to be useful. I feel like I'm looking at a different DAW. Really slow and actually making my eyes ache tonight! I'll stick with Flux

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 11-12-2020, 02:41 PM

My machine seems to be running again back to normal.

I am very sad about the Dark Mode implementation though. I was REALLY looking forward to it, after toggling with Logic and Cubase on some collaborative jobs, I found it much easier on the eyes.

But this non-customizable Dark Mode in PT 2020.11 is like being stabbed in the eye. (on a 3440x1440 display anyway). It's like the worst 1980s EGA-graphics layout on a DOS PC I've ever seen.

Looking forward to being able to customize the color scheme a bit... and make the text bigger to help compensate. (Longer visible track names in the Edit Window would be a big help as well)

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 11-12-2020, 03:34 PM

The first thing I did was turning off Dark Mode.

First of all, I'm not a big fan of Dark Mode. It works for me on the iPhone but not on the computer. Tried for a while and switched back.
The Pro Tools implementation of dark (and flat) is just more work for the eye, which beats the purpose, I guess.
For example, the Edit Window Toolbar has vertical lines to visually separate the individual sections. Now in Dark Mode, those black lines are on black background, which means, they are gone (unless you squint your eyes and look really closely). Now what my eyes see is a bunch of colorful bits and pieces floating on a black background. I get it why people think this is looking cool, but for me, it looks like a mess.

Pro Tools is not a video or image editing software to blend out visual noise to concentrate on the image you work on. In Pro Tools, we work on audio and the visuals are supposed to help the work and not be in the way.

But in the end, you can turn it on or off, so everybody can choose, which is good.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 11-12-2020, 05:01 PM

If I may be an a-hole, I’ll say that I LIKE the dark mode. Maybe because I also have had no other issues happen in a quick bit of opening old sessions and running them. There are no lines nor markers that I am used to seeing that are missing; I had to tweak my track saturation and brightness settings to get some colour back, but that’s there too.

So... not sure if the nitpickers have miscalibrated monitors or something (I do, for photography and video), but... taste differences aside... I see nothing functionally missing in dark mode like others have complained, plus I just plain like it better.

$0.02 (CAD)
Old 11-12-2020, 05:04 PM

Messing around in dark mode. I like it. I don't like the fact you have to restart protools to disable it. So I just left it. Overall it seems snappy.

Macpro 5.1. High Sierra. Hdx3 in chassis. Hdio x3.
Don't see any options for the hybrid engine or whatever the new thing is. Guess you have to have the new hardware.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Last edited by arche3; 11-12-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:11 PM

Default Worst Dark Mode Ever

I've never seen a worse dark mode implementation on any product anywhere. It's actually scary how bad it is, how oversaturated the colors are and how little (none, actually) adjustment function there is. What a shame.

Last edited by jeffro; 11-18-2020 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Similar threads merged.