Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-15-2021, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Anyone tried Protools on an M1 mac yet?

NeilMc,

You’re maybe the only one that can answer this question.

Is your m1 Mac mini with 16gb ram as powerful or more powerful than the intel Mac mini?

I have a maxed out 2018 Mac mini, 64gb ram etc.
I think there's only one app I run that wouldn’t work under Rosetta sooo it has me thinking.

I’ve opened mine up and given it external cooling as well because of the heating issues you also experienced.
It’s a great little box but when you plug into every jack and run it like a Mac Pro it’s a sweaty little dude.

If it matters, I'm running Protools Ultimate.

Kind Regards,

Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilMc View Post
Hi,

I've been running on a 16gig Mac mini M1 for a couple of weeks now.
Clean install of 2020.11

No serious testing, but it runs all of my long form work without breaking a sweat.

Sonarworks is running fine under beta.

Sony, Isotope, and Nugen needed Rosetta to install.

Dialogue Isolate using RX, which made a 6 core mini very hot indeed and arced up the fans doesn't even seem to warm up the M1, and is considerably faster.

The only thing which (unsurprisingly ) doesn't work are the HD Drivers, which won't load, even using the terminal commands.
So no HD Omni for now.
Still, it looks promising.

Last edited by analog orange; 01-15-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog orange View Post
NeilMc,

You’re maybe the only one that can answer this question.

Is your m1 Mac mini with 16gb ram as powerful or more powerful than the intel Mac mini?

I have a maxed out 2018 Mac mini, 64gb ram etc.
I think there's only one app I run that wouldn’t work under Rosetta sooo it has me thinking.

I’ve opened mine up and given it external cooling as well because of the heating issues you also experienced.
It’s a great little box but when you plug into every jack and run it like a Mac Pro it’s a sweaty little dude.

If it matters, I'm running Protools Ultimate.

Kind Regards,

Justin
Hi Justin,

I can't really give you a definitive answer, sorry.
I had a mini with the same configuration as yours, but only for 2 weeks, when I sent it back to Apple.
When in lockdowns I work in a small home studio (bedroom) and the fan noise from the mini drove me nuts.
Im a bit OCD about noise, running on SSDs etc.
My dialogue tracks are usually noisy enough without the mini adding to the confusion.
The M1 is deathly quiet so far, and a wee bit warm at best.
I am running Ultimate too.
Until Avid write new drivers, I can't use this rig professionally, as I am monitoring through HD native thunderbolt with an HD Omni
The maxed out 6 core is an amazing computer- if not for the fan noise I would have kept it, for sure
Old 03-18-2021, 09:49 AM

Anyone word on the M1x macbook? Looking forward to a cooler, quieter and lighter machine. I basically want to be able to import an entire film and score it, with scads of tracks, plugins and zero hiccups. I may have to wait till 2025 to do that on a laptop due to the compatability

I'm still running a 2011 MBP with PT12...
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7

Noise Buffet
Old 03-18-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonejunkee View Post
Anyone word on the M1x macbook? Looking forward to a cooler, quieter and lighter machine. I basically want to be able to import an entire film and score it, with scads of tracks, plugins and zero hiccups. I may have to wait till 2025 to do that on a laptop due to the compatability

I'm still running a 2011 MBP with PT12...
That would be amazing. Too bad Pro Tools is terrible with VI's...

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:58 AM

This should probably be a new thread, but has anyone successfully gotten their HDX cards working on the new M1 machine running Big Sur? I've been testing a new Mac mini with 16 gigs of RAM running ProTools 2020.11 successfully. I took the computer to work and hooked it up to my HDX Sonnet chases, installed the HD drivers but no love. I feel like the OS will not allow the HD cord driver to be properly installed. Any thoughts or successes with this?

Buddy
PT Ult 2020.11
Mac mini M1 16GB
Old 07-06-2021, 02:03 AM

Has anyone tried to install HDX driver on M1 using UAD´s instructions for Reduced Security option

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...atibility-Info

Start the computer in macOS Recovery
Shut down the computer.
Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”
Click Options, then click Continue.
If requested, enter your account password.
Set the security policy
Note: You need to keep the security policy settings below (even after UAD installation) for UAD software to function.

In the Recovery app, choose Utilities > Startup Security Utility from the Menu Bar at upper left of screen..
Click on the system drive you want to use to set the security policy.
startup_security_utility_-_select_system.png
Click Security Policy, select the Reduced Security option, and enter your password if requested.
Check the “Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers” option.
Click OK, then restart your Mac for the changes to take effect.