Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2008, 03:22 PM

Default Can\'t hear playback from ProTools M-Powered + NRV-10

So everything seems to be hooked up correctly. I have a pair of powered monitors plugged into the main mix output on the back of the NRV-10 and a synth plugged into the the first input. When I record to Pro Tools, I can hear the synth in the monitors and the waveform is recorded into PT.

When I try to play back the track I have just recorded, I hear nothing. There is obviously something connected wrong or there is something not configured correctly in the hardware settings. I should be able to hear the playback with only the NRV firewaie connection and the monitors, right? Is there something I am missing in the chain?
Old 01-19-2008, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Can\'t hear playback from ProTools M-Powered + NRV-10

Is the track that you are recording to stil record armed? Are you in Input-only monitoring mode? (alt+k)

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 01-19-2008, 11:19 PM

After I record the track, I disarm the recording button for the track and I have tried switching between the two modes "Input Only Monitoring" and "Auto Input Monitoring" under the "Track" menu. Neither of those seem to have any effect.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:13 PM

you might want to check the recorded tracks outputs and see where those outputs are routed,, if they are recorded ,say , using inputs 1+2 and outputs are set to 3+4, you have to make sure 3+4 levels are up for playback and the firewire button for each of those channels is depressed or pushed in,,,an easy way is to set your outputs to 9+10 (including your master fader if you use one)and you should be covered ,, the nrv can be a little tricky to use, but once you figure it out, you'll love it, this unit is way underated and the mic preamps are awesome, i also use one live on stage to dig out my sequenced drum and bass tracks,, hope this helps, B.b.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:16 PM

I think I tried doing that... but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly. The input for that particular track was set to "In 1" and the Output is set to "Out 1-2", which were the defaults.

Prior to purchasing PT and the NRV-10, I was using Audition and Cakewalk with an Echo Gina card and a small analog mixer.

I suppose I am confused about how the "outs" work with PT and the NRV. The documentation that comes with the NRV is basically useless. I can change the "outs" for the recorded track in Pro Tools all day and it seems to change nothing. The "I/O" options under "Setup" seem to be what you're talking about to "make sure they're pressed in", but I'm not really sure how this works.

I've tried to find some online documentation about this, but to no avail. Any help, or if someone could point me to some help somewhere, would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:19 AM

If Pro Tools is assigned to outputs 1/2, you have to setup CH's 1 & 2 on the NRV-10 to monitor the FW bus, not the hardware inputs. If you want to be able to directly monitor your inputs, assign Pro Tools to out 7/8, set it to monitor the FW bus, and mute the channels in Pro Tools to prevent doubling your monitored signal.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 AM

Please forgive my ignorance. I have no idea how to do any of that. Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it is. I understand how you can set the input and outputs an each track in PT, but I have no clue as to how this needs to be mapped for the NRV. Like I said, the documentation provided with my NRV says nothing about integration with PT.