Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 09:55 AM

Default AVID video to AV XL

Hi !

Trying to get quicker workflow while waiting for v10/unity for mac.

Today we´re recording video in the timeline with AV XL and machine control.

Is it possible to export a videofile from an Avid and read it with ProTools 6.2.3 and AV XL.
We have access to the Unity with Fibre Manager can copy files quickly to our local discs.

What export settings should I use?

Stupid questions? I´m an idiot on the Avid
Old 01-24-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: AVID video to AV XL

Use OMFs. We constantly get OMF files from our video bays through Unity. (The video people should know how to export them, though I've met a few who needed coaching.)

If they are working on Unity, too, then they can simply send a "linked" OMF, instead of an "embeded" one, and it will see all the files properly. (Again, a lot will depend on how they create the OMF.)

In our setup, I don't copy the video files locally (though I could), but reference the original files. Audio, though, I copy to a dedicated folder.

Hope this helps
Old 01-24-2005, 12:44 PM

Yes, OMF. You cannot embed video because Pro Tools does not support it, and the video must be "flattened", which means a single layer with completely rendered effects. Unless you are on Unity and can work with the original video files it may be easiest to consolidate the video to a separate drive, "flatten" the video to one track and render all video effects, export the consolidated sequence via omf v2(do not embed video!), and copy all of the video files from that sequence to your local system. If you are working with Unity you can skip the consolidation and copying of the files.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:26 AM

Thanks for your answers !

Until recently we didn't have the fibre card in the Macs so recording video with AV XL was the only option. Now we have the card, but as I get it the Mac still has no real Unity support, were only allowed to push-pull files, that leaves us with the option of transfering video to local drives.

We often get projects after the online and the video is 2:1, which becomes a bit akward to copy.
Is it at timeconsuming project to convert/consolitate an Avid project from 2:1 to 10:1, flattened, rendered, and exported as an OMF? Are we better of using the tape and copy the OMF with audio only as of today.

The Avids recently upgraded to Adrenaline hardware, will it make a difference.

The other option is to switch to PC, but I've heard people saying PC/Unity/V10 is not a responsive solution a the time being, thoughts?