Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2017, 05:49 PM

Default Bouncing to QuickTime Audio Prefs

Can someone please explain to me why there is an entire page of audio preference settings for a QuickTime bounce but Pro Tools entirely ignores these settings. Apparently it actually states in the manual that Pro Tools will ignore its very own Pro Tools preference panes. You can configure your bounce the way you need it to be, but none of these preferences will do anything.
Despite what it's masquerading as, you can in fact not choose what audio format you want your QuickTime bounce to be.

This page of settings is apparently either a decoration from an engineer's dream, or some sort of DaDaist art project.

Seriously...Avid...can someone explain this to me?
Old 06-23-2017, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Bouncing to QuickTime Audio Prefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimeograph View Post
Can someone please explain to me why there is an entire page of audio preference settings for a QuickTime bounce but Pro Tools entirely ignores these settings. Apparently it actually states in the manual that Pro Tools will ignore its very own Pro Tools preference panes. You can configure your bounce the way you need it to be, but none of these preferences will do anything.
Despite what it's masquerading as, you can in fact not choose what audio format you want your QuickTime bounce to be.

This page of settings is apparently either a decoration from an engineer's dream, or some sort of DaDaist art project.

Seriously...Avid...can someone explain this to me?
hi, can you be more specific .. i just tested making a QT bounce and all is fine ... exactly the settings i chose ...

a little system info never hurts !!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-23-2017, 08:25 PM

It doesn't apparently matter for this issue but sure. I'll post below.

I can make playable Quicktime files. That isn't the problem.
I can customize the Codec, that works. What I can't do is change the audio
in my saved QuickTime files to my preferred format, even though I am given a whole menu of audio file types to choose from.
See if you can "Bounce to QuickTime" and change the audio saved into your QuickTime file as AAC. I'll bet you can't.

The online manual ACTUALLY STATES:

"When bouncing to QuickTime from Pro Tools, the Sounds settings in the Movie Settings dialog are ignored."

Which begs the question: In what case is it not ignored?

--------------------------------------------

Pro Tools 12.5.2
OSX 10.11.6

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) 2 x 3.06 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 12
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
Memory: 48 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 6.4 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MP51.007F.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.39f11
SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11
Old 06-23-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:

in my saved QuickTime files to my preferred format, even though I am given a whole menu of audio file types to choose from.
See if you can "Bounce to QuickTime" and change the audio saved into your QuickTime file as AAC. I'll bet you can't.

"When bouncing to QuickTime from Pro Tools, the Sounds settings in the Movie Settings dialog are ignored."

Pro Tools 12.5.2
OSX 10.11.6

48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC

Maybe this will help. There IS a grayed out "Use Avid Codecs" and Quicktime Settings.
pg.1240 Pro Tools Reference Guide. I usually always do not want to dumb down the audio with a codec such as AAF or whatever until after which is easily done in several apps. MPEG Streamclip, which is free. Also QuickTime Pro 7.6.6 which I keep around for such things along with the unusable newer QT Player 10.4 or there are others I'm sure you are aware of that do a better job with video maybe, depending on your experience with such apps.
(see “Bounce Options” on page 1114).
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 06-24-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:

Pro Tools 12.5.2
OSX 10.11.6

48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
hi, the information is very Helpful .. thx for that

please do not take this the wrong way as i do not know you from adam or your level of experience .. take what helps and disregard the rest please

1) El Crap - got it .. i skipped that OS
2) PT 12.5.2 (12.7.1 is current if you are up to date on subscription) and i understand if you have NOT upgraded
3) QT: you can do an Export and change Linear PCM to AAC in QT7 after you export quicktime from PT, if you like .. see pic
4) or you can add a 2nd soundtrack to your video, in this case AAC (conversion done in another program obviously) .. you can then copy and paste and you can have both soundtracks in there .. you or your client would just go into movie properties and turn on the one you want .. the UnCompressed PCM or the AAC (we used to do this with stereo and 5.1 - throne on what you want .. or Different Versions of the Same Audio for a Video - this is very handy)

NOTE: i think i understand that you would like to have this control from within Pro Tools .. we cannot make AAC's in pro tools at this time .. only Wav, AIF, Mp3 .. so it makes sense that there is no AAC option in there ..

the fact that the PT manual says it Ignores - i think this is it ignores all other options but what is in the QT settings dialog boxes .. i will say, i am not sure of this but will take a look !!!!

this would be a good suggestion ... i would be happy to pass it up the food chain at avid ..

cheers john
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QT7 export audio dialog for mime DUC.jpg (50.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg QT7 inspector_properties for mime DUC.jpg (41.0 KB, 0 views)

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-24-2017, 11:18 AM

#1 El Capitan. I have no complaints at all with this version of OS X
#2 12.5.2 - I am on the plan but I have not yet upgraded. I long ago learned that when one has a stable system, wait until you have some free time before upgrading to a new version.
#3/4. Yes. This is what I do. I have an old version of QT7Pro for this.

"NOTE: i think i understand that you would like to have this control from within Pro Tools .. we cannot make AAC's in pro tools at this time .. only Wav, AIF, Mp3 .. so it makes sense that there is no AAC option in there .. "

This is the point of my post.
There IS an AAC option in there.
Yes, I would love to have this control from within Pro Tools. In fact, I have
the pretense of this control right here on my screen. I would love to not have to spend the time on an additional step re-encoding a (sometimes lengthy) QuickTime file. But alas...
I was told by Avid support that what the manual is saying is that the entire Sound/Settings section within "Bounce To QuickTime" is to be ignored. It is non functional.

Which leads back to my question. Why is it there?