Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2017, 05:57 PM

Default pt12.7.1 AAF export

Does anyone else experience offline media when importing an ebedded AAF generated from pt12.7 into pt10?

Have tried both Mac and PC versions running 12.7.1,

IF AAF is referenced, then all opens fine
IF OMF then all is fine?

So, what broke in AAF embedded?

Last edited by rojgreen; 06-22-2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-22-2017, 07:36 AM

Default Re: pt12.7.1 AAF export

Haven't tried this, but PT 12 sessions should open up in PT 10 just fine. PT 10-12 all use .ptx session format. The .ptf format was for PT 7-9.
Is there a particular reason for exporting an AAF rather than just opening the session in PT10?
Old 06-22-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Haven't tried this, but PT 12 sessions should open up in PT 10 just fine. PT 10-12 all use .ptx session format. The .ptf format was for PT 7-9.
Is there a particular reason for exporting an AAF rather than just opening the session in PT10?
Jeez! Another stupid bug! I mean, the more I hear about 12.7 and 12.7.1 having issues, make me glad I did not upgrade from 12.6.1. That would be a real problem for me.

Some tools that a friend used at his post place that worked great on importing OMF or AAF's into Window from Mac format that might be helpful. The biggest problem I have run into going form say Protools to like a PC Nuendo or Cubase in Windows, is that the automation does not follow.

http://www.aatranslator.com.au
Makes an XML file that you can then bring in everything The company is great and will do a test for you for free! They did for us. I think they are part of the old Fairlight company out of Australia or NZ somewhere down there.

https://www.extremraym.com/en/premiere-pro-to-reaper/
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 06-22-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Jeez! Another stupid bug! I mean, the more I hear about 12.7 and 12.7.1 having issues, make me glad I did not upgrade from 12.6.1. That would be a real problem for me.

Some tools that a friend used at his post place that worked great on importing OMF or AAF's into Window from Mac format that might be helpful. The biggest problem I have run into going form say Protools to like a PC Nuendo or Cubase in Windows, is that the automation does not follow.

http://www.aatranslator.com.au
Makes an XML file that you can then bring in everything The company is great and will do a test for you for free! They did for us. I think they are part of the old Fairlight company out of Australia or NZ somewhere down there.

https://www.extremraym.com/en/premiere-pro-to-reaper/

I'm not mentioning anything about a bug, Greg. The OP mentioned that the AAF was generated in Pro Tools 12.7.1 and was attempting to open it in Pro Tools 10. So I'm just asking why one would export an AAF to take a session from Pro Tools 12 to Pro Tools 10. A Pro Tools 12 session file should just open up in Pro Tools 10, no AAF needed. I was asking the OP why an AAF?
Old 06-22-2017, 02:34 PM

Thanks guys, though I am aware of all the workarounds.. just wondering if others can reproduce the fault - and maybe AVID can fix it if there is a bug. It's only embedded AAF that seems to cause the issue (for me).

I only found this as two engineers are mixing different episodes of a show, and exporting final timelocked mixfiles via AAF for re-import to AVID MC (with all stem tracks etc) and I was checking (on my home PTHD10.3.9) the mixes of the other guy for him. Embedded AAF provides a tidy way of delivering final audio for broadcast.

It imports into Avid MC ok, Nuendo 7 OK, back into PT12.7 OK.

Not a big deal - but if it is in fact broken - annoying. It's is AAF. It's supposed to work.

Last edited by rojgreen; 06-22-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-22-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I'm not mentioning anything about a bug, Greg. The OP mentioned that the AAF was generated in Pro Tools 12.7.1 and was attempting to open it in Pro Tools 10. So I'm just asking why one would export an AAF to take a session from Pro Tools 12 to Pro Tools 10. A Pro Tools 12 session file should just open up in Pro Tools 10, no AAF needed. I was asking the OP why an AAF?
Yeah. OK Misread. I was working.. sorry.
I still think that maybe this person might have needed to go back to work in 10? I guess you will have to ask them. Maybe he is on an old TDM system of which I also own. Seems like I have been able to open things in 11 and 12 back in 10, but can't remember. Yeah. To my mind this stuff should not be a problem anything after 9+ Just save in an earlier version> ?
Regards, G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 06-23-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojgreen View Post
Thanks guys, though I am aware of all the workarounds.. just wondering if others can reproduce the fault - and maybe AVID can fix it if there is a bug. It's only embedded AAF that seems to cause the issue (for me).

I only found this as two engineers are mixing different episodes of a show, and exporting final timelocked mixfiles via AAF for re-import to AVID MC (with all stem tracks etc) and I was checking (on my home PTHD10.3.9) the mixes of the other guy for him. Embedded AAF provides a tidy way of delivering final audio for broadcast.

It imports into Avid MC ok, Nuendo 7 OK, back into PT12.7 OK.

Not a big deal - but if it is in fact broken - annoying. It's is AAF. It's supposed to work.
Makes sense. I didn't't realize you were planning on opening these in Avid MC. Hence my question about just opening the session in PT10.

I just tried a test session and can confirm that an embedded AAF, exported from a mac PT HD 12.7.1 with Enforce Media Composer Compatibility checked and handles set to 2000ms, imports back into PT HD 12.7.1 just fine. I don't have a PT 10 install handy to check. I can possibly try some other versions of 12 (12.6.0, 12.6.1) and see if I get the same results. I guess it's possible that something is broken with AAF import in Pro Tools 10.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Yeah. OK Misread. I was working.. sorry.
I still think that maybe this person might have needed to go back to work in 10? I guess you will have to ask them. Maybe he is on an old TDM system of which I also own. Seems like I have been able to open things in 11 and 12 back in 10, but can't remember. Yeah. To my mind this stuff should not be a problem anything after 9+ Just save in an earlier version> ?
Regards, G
No worries. Just trying to help