Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-18-2017, 01:51 PM
Philthy Philthy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 1,252
Default Re: iLok "support"

Wow, $6-8 for a cup of coffee? Is that a west coast thing? Much over $2 and I'm irritated.
__________________
Phil Mann
Silk City Music Factory - CT Recording Studio
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-18-2017, 01:52 PM
mriegler's Avatar
mriegler mriegler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 52
Default Re: iLok "support"

Global Starbucks prices for something a bit more fancy...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-18-2017, 02:01 PM
Samba Samba is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 118
Default Re: iLok "support"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriegler View Post
Well, it does, if you spend the $30 for ZDT and TLC, which happens to be their business model (next to selling iLoks and licensing the technology to software partners like Avid, plugin manufacturers etc).

No phone support could be because of international support offices and time zones, no single form so they can allocate the emails correctly (ZDT answered right away, everything else Monday morning).

I'm a big fan of the convenience and iLok affords me, of course I pay for ZDT and TLC, never needed them yet. Trust me, once you start running after each and every plugin manufacturer now to reissue you a new license, you will REALLY be annoyed. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Good luck.
I'm totally happy to go to each manufacturer to get my licences!! Not a problem. It may take a while, but it beats this system that iLok offer

And like you said, IF you spend extra money. That should be made clear on their site. What's there currently is misleading.

I bought the products from companies like Avid, Soundtoys etc. Do I want to have this 3rd company that stops me from using the latest technology? I have to wait on this company iLOK??? it does not make sense.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-18-2017, 02:09 PM
mriegler's Avatar
mriegler mriegler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 52
Default Re: iLok "support"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
And like you said, IF you spend extra money. That should be made clear on their site. What's there currently is misleading.
"iLok Benefits
...
Worry Free - Your licenses are on the safest, most secure solution: the iLok. With Zero Downtime™ protection available, you've got 24/7 peace of mind."

"Do you have Zero Downtime protection?
If you are submitting your iLok for License Recovery and Replacement through the Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) process, you may be eligible to immediately receive temporary licenses so that you can continue to use your software!
If you aren’t currently covered, rest assured Zero Downtime can be purchased during the placement of an RMA order."

And several more pages on ZDT/TLC, FAQs relating to those, videos... I don't see how any of that is misleading.

But judging from your older posts in 2014 and 2015 it seems you were never really a big iLok fan .
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-18-2017, 02:16 PM
sw rec sw rec is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Colo Spgs Colo
Posts: 5,601
Default Re: iLok "support"

We bear the responsibility of keeping track of our own physical property (in this case, the I-lok dongle.) It isn't I-lok's fault when somebody loses their dongle. No more than HP not giving you a new laptop if yours gets misplaced. A justification for a solid insurance policy (ZDT.)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-18-2017, 02:26 PM
Samba Samba is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 118
Default Re: iLok "support"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
We bear the responsibility of keeping track of our own physical property (in this case, the I-lok dongle.) It isn't I-lok's fault when somebody loses their dongle. No more than HP not giving you a new laptop if yours gets misplaced. A justification for a solid insurance policy (ZDT.)
But there isnt a need for the hardware!!!
I bought the SOFTWARE.

I realise that the iLok dongle is A solution. It is not the complete solution.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-18-2017, 02:29 PM
Samba Samba is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 118
Default Re: iLok "support"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriegler View Post
"iLok Benefits
...
Worry Free - Your licenses are on the safest, most secure solution: the iLok. With Zero Downtime™ protection available, you've got 24/7 peace of mind."

"Do you have Zero Downtime protection?
If you are submitting your iLok for License Recovery and Replacement through the Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) process, you may be eligible to immediately receive temporary licenses so that you can continue to use your software!
If you aren’t currently covered, rest assured Zero Downtime can be purchased during the placement of an RMA order."

And several more pages on ZDT/TLC, FAQs relating to those, videos... I don't see how any of that is misleading.

But judging from your older posts in 2014 and 2015 it seems you were never really a big iLok fan .
Worry Free - Your licenses are on the safest, most secure solution: the iLok. With Zero Downtime™ protection available, you've got 24/7 peace of mind."

Worry free?! Who's worried?!!! No one is in a hurry to steal my software! What is this - NASA?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-18-2017, 02:41 PM
sw rec sw rec is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Colo Spgs Colo
Posts: 5,601
Default Re: iLok "support"

You also "agreed" when you bought the software, that you also needed the hardware to authorize the software. There are other plugin manufacturers out there that use protocol other than I-lok to authorize. And they're a royal pain to re-authorize if you ever have to do a rebuild.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-18-2017, 02:54 PM
mriegler's Avatar
mriegler mriegler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 52
Default Re: iLok "support"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
There are other plugin manufacturers out there that use protocol other than I-lok to authorize. And they're a royal pain to re-authorize if you ever have to do a rebuild.
... or if you work out of a number of facilities where you wouldn't want to enter any personal authentication information, or facilities that have offline machines only.

ZDT can apparently be bought for $130 for immediate retroactive coverage, if you're in a hurry.

Again, good luck with recovering your licenses.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-18-2017, 03:33 PM
nigelpry's Avatar
nigelpry nigelpry is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Home
Posts: 2,154
Default Re: iLok "support"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I'm totally happy to go to each manufacturer to get my licences!! Not a problem. It may take a while, but it beats this system that iLok offer

And like you said, IF you spend extra money. That should be made clear on their site. What's there currently is misleading.

I bought the products from companies like Avid, Soundtoys etc. Do I want to have this 3rd company that stops me from using the latest technology? I have to wait on this company iLOK??? it does not make sense.
Wow, I'm sorry but you seem a bit naive. You may not find it all that easy to get replacement licenses from some or all manufacturers.

If you 'lost' your iLok, somebody may have 'found' it, and they may be using it, or have sold it to someone else who is using it.

If the manufacturers just issue you with new replacement licenses, there will be two people using their software when only one person has paid for it.

Hell, for all they know, you may have sold (or be planning to sell) your iLok for exactly that purpose, hoping to get replacement licenses for free.

Of course a legitimate question might be .... why isn't ZDT provided for free? Well .... iLok is a copy protection system, developed by Pace. They make money in three ways ... selling iLoks, licensing their technology for software companies to use, and selling ZDT.

Software companies choose to use that protection system, but don't see why they should cover the costs of your mistakes, when you lose, or break, your iLok, or have it stolen. Like many other things in life, they expect you to pay for insurance to protect the things that are valuable to you. In this case that insurance is called ZDT.

As other people have said, buying ZDT (Zero Down Time) for $30 and enabling TLC (Total Loss Cover) that comes with ZDT with no extra charge, gives you piece of mind, and protects the software companies too.

When you trigger replacement licenses you get them straightaway, because the software companies have a 100% guarantee that your old iLok will shortly stop working.

So that way there is no possibility of two people using the software, other than for a short period of time.

If this is all news to you, I'm sorry, but you are now learning the hard way, and may have more trouble than you yet imagine trying to get replacement licenses.
__________________
Mac Pro 2009 with 2010 firmware, 12-Core 3.46ghz, 64gb RAM & working Thunderbolt, OS 10.13.6 and Windows 10
Macbook Pro 2011 17", 2.2ghz i7, 16gb RAM OS 10.12.6
Digi 003 Console, Focusrite Octopre and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad with Thunderbolt card, Apollo Twin mk11 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2018, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does "Westmere" qualification apply to "Bloomfield" and "Gulftown" also? bashville Pro Tools 10 5 03-23-2013 03:04 PM
"Error, missing ILok authorization for "Pro Tools 10". johkav macOS 4 09-10-2012 08:13 AM
"Factory Promo UB" - "Eventide" - iLok license - What plug-in is this? Intini Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 7 08-31-2012 08:27 PM
"Digidesign" Folder not shown in "Application Support" jollyboss 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 2 02-01-2012 02:12 AM
hardware buttons for "preview", "capture" and "punch" evs Post - Surround - Video 1 12-06-2010 12:28 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com