Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2017, 07:34 AM

Default PT 12.7.1 on macOS 10.12.5 runs HOT!!

PT 12.7.1 on macOS 10.12.5 runs very very hot on both my brand new 2017 machines. I have a top of the line 2017 i7 iMac loaded up with RAM and also a new 2017 MacBook Pro i7 15". When running a very minimal session things heat up to sometimes mid 60 degrees Celsius. Same session running in Logic is running 10-15 degrees cooler. So I decided to try running PT in low resolution mode and bam, the machines run much cooler. Like only 5 degrees hotter than Logic running the same session. So my question is, when will PT be optimized to not do this? I've been reading that these sorts of issues have been going on for quite some time, especially with Retina display devices. I have also noticed that the GUI is quite snappier in low resolution mode. You don't see as much lag. That's another issues that has been plaguing PT for some time. So is Avid working on this at all? It has pretty much forced me to start using Logic solely. I don't feel like cooking any eggs and bacon on either of my Mac computers and burning out their CPUs and GPUs. C'mon Avid. Retina display Mac computers have been out for a very long time. There has to be some optimization that can be done in the software to make it run as efficiently as Logic.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:17 AM

Default Re: PT 12.7.1 on macOS 10.12.5 runs HOT!!

How and where are you measuring your temperatures? If internal then 60C on certain parts of the machine isn't all that bad with full resolution screen graphics (is that what you're talking about - you don't say). The thin iMacs do seem to run hot with the causing the fans to run crazy fast. Do NOT block the air intakes at the bottom of the screen and make sure the slot at the top is not blocked either (for optimal airflow).

QAPLA!
Old 06-21-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
How and where are you measuring your temperatures? If internal then 60C on certain parts of the machine isn't all that bad with full resolution screen graphics (is that what you're talking about - you don't say). The thin iMacs do seem to run hot with the causing the fans to run crazy fast. Do NOT block the air intakes at the bottom of the screen and make sure the slot at the top is not blocked either (for optimal airflow).
Using iStat. That is the proximity temp. The actual cores are much hotter. And 60 c. is very hot when Logic is running at 45-50 c. running the exact same session. There's really no excuse for PT to not be optimized the same as Logic so that it takes advantage of all the resources more efficiently. One shouldn't have to use low resolution mode in PT to drop operating temps. And to answer your Q. lol I am not a moron. I'm actually a long time Mac tech. I know better than blocking vents and airflow.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:27 PM

Anyone have any useful info on how to get Avid's attention on this?
Old 06-24-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioSanctum View Post
Anyone have any useful info on how to get Avid's attention on this?
I would suggest to open a support case at my.avid.com, I don't think you will get any official answer from Avid here at the users forum, specially on a matter that will surely be treated by them as a particular problem of your systems.

Sound Engineer | Non-Avid Employee
Old 06-24-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacov View Post
I would suggest to open a support case at my.avid.com, I don't think you will get any official answer from Avid here at the users forum, specially on a matter that will surely be treated by them as a particular problem of your systems.
That's a shame, because it is by no means specific to my systems. I have noticed this for the last 5 or more systems I have had. Just finally felt like saying something about it. Bottom line is, as a Apple tech I can certainly tell you with some very elementary comparisons that their software is not optimized to use the CPU and GPU nearly as efficiently as Logic is.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioSanctum View Post
That's a shame, because it is by no means specific to my systems. I have noticed this for the last 5 or more systems I have had. Just finally felt like saying something about it. Bottom line is, as a Apple tech I can certainly tell you with some very elementary comparisons that their software is not optimized to use the CPU and GPU nearly as efficiently as Logic is.
I'm with you on this, PT 12.7.1 works fairly well on my MacBook Pro Retina 15 (late 2013), but everytime I fear it will actually melt, and I can count near real time the battery percentage going from 100 to 6%. At least the gfx performance improved a lot from El Crapitan to Sierra, I hope Apple does not break it with High Sierra.

And to be fair, at least on the same computer, heat generation is not much different with Cubase Pro 9.

Sound Engineer | Non-Avid Employee
Old 06-24-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacov View Post
I'm with you on this, PT 12.7.1 works fairly well on my MacBook Pro Retina 15 (late 2013), but everytime I fear it will actually melt, and I can count near real time the battery percentage going from 100 to 6%.

But to be fair, it's not much different with Cubase at least.
Yeah I guess the engineers at Apple have got things very well optimized with Logic. Of course this sort of makes senses when you consider an Apple app running on a Apple computer... Just with they could smooth things out a bit over at Avid with PT.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 AM

It's not Avid's fault that software runs hot on 10.12.5 as it is Apple's fluke. All software runs hotter than necessary, even Logic. Once again they changed something that affects 3rd parties and we can only hope they fix it.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It's not Avid's fault that software runs hot on 10.12.5 as it is Apple's fluke. All software runs hotter than necessary, even Logic. Once again they changed something that affects 3rd parties and we can only hope they fix it.
You're flat out wrong. This has nothing to do with 10.12.5. I am an Apple senior tech of 20 years who works in programming and beta testing and this "running hot" issue has plagued Avid back even before 10.9, and stating that Logic runs hotter as well is just plain laughable. I have two test sessions on my system that are identical, one PT and one Logic. Logic runs 10-15 degrees centigrade cooler all day long. This is an issue with Avid not optimizing their core PT code to utilize GPUs and CPUs more efficiently. All you have to do is switch PT to open in "low resolution mode" and watch core temps drop when running the same session that was just hot enough to cook on egg on. That in itself is the "A-ha!" moment. You'd be silly to say that Avid engineers are not woefully behind on prioritizing their focus to smooth out issues that have lingered for many years. It's all blatantly obvious. Pointing the finger at Apple is typical so I'm not shocked. I have an update for you though, Avid develops their software for use on Mac, not the other way around. Avid is privy to macOS betas day one. Bottom line is something is just rotten in Denmark and Avid has been dragging their feet for a long time. Sorry my friend, but you're just wrong. Proof is in the pudding, and the pudding is Logic running identical sessions with identical plugins and identical track counts 10-15 degrees cooler... To argue that is either denial or dishonesty.