Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2010, 11:48 AM

Default Has anyone gotten Win7 X64bit drivers to work on a Mbox2 USB?

I can successfully install the drivers, however like others have noted, playback either in PT or Windows 7 sounds like robotic / distortion.

I've tested recording with the new driver, and it captures fine... just not playback.

If I roll back to the 8.01 drivers, playback in PT is fine again, but of course I lose the wdm drivers, which is useful to me in certain instances (like using Room Eq Wizard)
Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Has anyone gotten Win7 X64bit drivers to work on a Mbox2 USB?

yeah i deleted the x64 driver cause of the robotic noise. but still works with the 8.0.3 drivers on my x64 system.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:35 PM

Wow this is the problem I have been having with my Mbox 2. I had so much trouble understanding what was going wrong with the playback noise. I could not describe the noise I was having to customer support so I couldn't get any help. I seriously just (5 minutes ago) uninstalled Pro Tools so I could reinstall with hope that I wouldn't get the distortion during playback.

I'm a noob when it comes to understanding all of this as I just got the Mbox 2 factory package with an Axiom 49 for Christmas.. so basically, what can I do to prevent the distortion?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:12 PM

Unhappy Re: Has anyone gotten Win7 X64bit drivers to work on a Mbox2 USB?

I had One success on 8.0.4b drivers out of the past 7 Re-installs (Not to mention 100 re-starts of windows 7, countless blue screen, memory dumps). I have MBOX2.

I was almost thanking god when it worked on that occasion but it did not show up any sounds in workspace for sound library...damn..so I planned to re-install again.. Now here is where I am stuck..

Things work well with 8.0.3 but you go for a break and return to be welcomed with a PT freeze, you have to force boot to re-use your laptop, and pray god if there is no blue screen or memory dump error.

I know there were no freezing or memory dump errors with 8.0.4b drivers but that installation had different errors. Now I try to install, it just does not install and rolls back (with all Digi steps and direction religiously followed)...
And if at all it installs, it gives robotic noise.

Anyone can tell for sure whats wrong? (Laptop is not bad its Gateway FX-p7805u, with 4GB DDR3 RAM & I use 1.5 TB eSata Hard Drive to record Audio)
Old 01-01-2010, 06:26 PM

My comp never sleeps when running on AC Power, no screen saver, power is high performance, I have actually done recording without any performance issues at all and I love everything about PT 8.0.3 when it works...but the thing is my OS never ever blue screened (past 9 months) except when PT is ON. and I just installed it after Dec 22 and getting all this.

Task Manager typically shows 18-20 % CPU Utilization and RAM @ 2.5 GB or so... All other apps close through Task Manager but PT wont close and wont re-open without hard boot.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitztacular XXX View Post
Wow this is the problem I have been having with my Mbox 2. I had so much trouble understanding what was going wrong with the playback noise. I could not describe the noise I was having to customer support so I couldn't get any help. I seriously just (5 minutes ago) uninstalled Pro Tools so I could reinstall with hope that I wouldn't get the distortion during playback.

I'm a noob when it comes to understanding all of this as I just got the Mbox 2 factory package with an Axiom 49 for Christmas.. so basically, what can I do to prevent the distortion?
You should be able to roll back to the 8.01 drivers which will restore PT normal playback, but will remove the WDM version.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:59 PM

You should be able to find the 'crash' files from the BSOD. Zip that up and I can try to decode it for you.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:51 AM

Thanks Benoni,

24 Hours passed without freeze or blue screen. I am making sure I don't leave PT unattended . That means if I go on break or do something else, I save my session and close PT. It takes few seconds to restart PT anyways as compared to frozen screens, reboots.

One Happy Day !!!
Old 01-03-2010, 05:25 AM

You do have the option with power schemes for "ALWAYS ON" I'm guessing?
Old 01-05-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgizmo View Post
I can successfully install the drivers, however like others have noted, playback either in PT or Windows 7 sounds like robotic / distortion.

I've tested recording with the new driver, and it captures fine... just not playback.

If I roll back to the 8.01 drivers, playback in PT is fine again, but of course I lose the wdm drivers, which is useful to me in certain instances (like using Room Eq Wizard)
Dude I have been having the same exact problem with my Mbox 2 for weeks now. It really is horrible. I have the 8.4 driver and I uninstalled it because of the bad playback issue. But when I uninstall it my comp is not recognizing the 8.3 or 8.0 drivers. And My Mbox stops working. Do you know how my Mbox 2 can connect to the original 8.0 driver or even the 8.3 driver? The 8.4 never works for me. I must be missing a step somewhere. after uninstalling 8.4 I tried reinstalling 8.3 and after I did the Mbox still would not connect to a driver. And I am using USB port for this. Not sure if that makes a difference.