Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-24-2010, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Manual Delay Comp Problem

I personally am not... Show me 10 people out of all in the world tht will sing &|or play directly on the timeline...

So if it is dead on as far as the inserts are concerned, do u go about tryin to line up a performer dead on time... A full band, all playing dead to the timeline? Com'on seriously...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-24-2010, 03:34 PM

Like I said, I'm used to having it done automatically so I haven't had to think about it for 6 years.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:04 PM

I have a feeling that WinTaper has it right. I've been working through this tonight on my Yamaha DM1000. I've got a 77 sample ping delay at 88.2k. Everything is working fine and I can enter 0.88ms for the insert delay, which works as advertised.

But I find on page 113 of the Pro Tools 9 Reference Guide a section entitled

Compensate for Delays After Record Pass

(Pro Tools HD Only)

This section goes on to describe how if you have an HD interface, another option will come up on the input and output panes of the I/O panel that allow you to choose to always automatically nudge the recorded take forward.

We who are not using an HD interface must nudge by hand. Unbelievable. All other DAWs allow this, and clearly the only thing missing is an input field on this panel. Hopefully Avid will take care of this soon, because I suspect that there will be a lot of dismayed, if not angry, new users of Pro Tools 9.

I am hoping to bring this to Avid's attention in a friendly and respectful manner. But it is a serious omission.

---
Critics talk about art. Artists talk about brushes.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:34 PM

I'm willing to bet the HD feature works (internally) in the same manner. The HD interface reports back whatever additional latency it has, and like magic everything lines up.

All PT/Avid would need to do is unlock the Record Delay feature for all interfaces and make the sample value user configurable (in samples). Problem solved.

Steve - You will find the delay (in samples) is constant across sample rates - you should see (in your case 77) the same at 48, 44.1, and 96

-Dan
Old 11-24-2010, 09:14 PM

Compensate for Delays After Record Pass in HD is a clusterfúck if you use other convertors
like Apogee also. And by that i mean, it doesn't work. Been down this road before.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:18 AM

Has this been confirmed as a real issue? No way around this? Is Avid going to fix this anytime soon?
Old 11-26-2010, 11:55 AM

It's real as far as I'm concerned - 100% repeatable. I've had to nudge tracks (alt-H).

I'm thinking the record delay comp would be *required* for supporting non-digi interfaces - anyone with external A/D's would have this issue. No workaround other than nudging. It looks like a huge oversight. Hopefully 9.0.1 will fix this.

Btw - the delay comp for inserts *does* work properly - its just recording from inputs that causes the issue.

If I could record without inputs it wouldn't be a problem!
Old 11-26-2010, 12:33 PM

WinTaper, I just had this screwy idea.

Suppose you set up your cue sends as inserts? Do you see where I'm going with this?

Lie to PT9 and say that you are going to use a hardware insert on your cue send aux track. Then while the hardware insert signal is in the analog domain, just send it to your headphone amp.

This might fool PT9 into compensating for the driver delay. That seems like a pretty easy work around, and I don't see why it wouldn't work. And it sure would beat hand nudging every overdub.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:31 PM

Steve -

That might get the track to play back in time - by delaying all other tracks - but doesn't actually fix the problem.

An easier work around is to enter -72 in the User Offset Field at the bottom of the Track View.

However, entering a negative value in this field and subsequently recording onto that track will push the recorded track back even more - in this case it'd be off by 144 samples. It seems negative values affect the recorded wave file.

I would need to set the User offset back to 0 for every take and then back to -72 for every playback. Otherwise I'll end up with a take even more out of sync.

And this glorious workaround doesn't really fix the problem either.

I'm hoping a fairly quick 9.0.1 release will fix this
Old 11-26-2010, 01:38 PM

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I just tested the idea and I almost had it right. Here's what works:

Lie to PT9 and say that you are going to use a hardware insert on your cue send aux track. Then while the hardware insert signal is in the analog domain, just send it to your headphone amp.

Next, set up an aux track that will be used for your record inputs. Set an insert on that track that corresponds to your record input channels. Route this aux track to a bus and then have your audio record track taking its input from that bus.

This fools PT9 into compensating for the driver delay. I just tested it and it works. Sample accurate. It's a clumsy workaround, but it sure beats hand nudging every overdub.