Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 02-14-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Can I used this MOTHER BOARD WITH M-Powered

Ok So I was using this card with LE 6.8 but I' wondering If I can use it with M- Powered??

http://www.baber.com/baber/411/asus_p4s533-mx.htm

Thank You!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Can I used this MOTHER BOARD WITH M-Powered

CHIPSET:
SiS® 651 North Bridge and SiS® 962L South Bridge
ITE 8707F LPC Super I/O Chip

There's a potential problem - SiS chipsets are a known incompatibility with Pro Tools. If you have an Intel processor, you must have a compatible Intel chipset on the motherboard.

More information can be found here:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...5&itemid=23010

Known Issues
Pro Tools does not support RAID technology. Please do not activate this feature on any Pro Tools recording drives.
Computers with motherboards containing SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems) chipsets are not supported
Computers with Intel Pentium III and older Intel processors are not supported
Computers with AMD Sempron processors or Intel Celeron processors are not supported
AMD K6, K6-2 or K6-III, K7 processor based computers are not supported (newer AMD Athlon XP, Athlon 64, and Athlon 64 FX processors are supported)
Some HP Pavilion models do not meet the minimum requirements as listed in these compatibility documents. Before purchasing these or any computer, please carefully go over these documents and the exact specifications of the computer to make certain that all of the compatibility guidelines have been met.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:21 PM

Agreed. SiS chipset; no good.

You said you were using it with LE 6.8, but you never said if it was working. If it won't work with LE, it won't work with MPowered.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-15-2007, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Agreed. SiS chipset; no good.

You said you were using it with LE 6.8, but you never said if it was working. If it won't work with LE, it won't work with MPowered.

I actualy used the motherboard with LE 6.8 for about 1 year never had problem with it...and by the way I do have a P4 2.8 pentium will that be a problem too??
Old 02-15-2007, 06:10 AM

the P4 2.8 is sufficient speed to run m-powered.

i know what you want to hear.

but you aren't going to hear it from anyone on this board.

SIS is not compatible.

so if you go that route, then good luck to you, and remember that you will be running something that is unsupported and not recommended.

getting "help" with a system like that is nearly impossible, because Digi will always point to that as being the source of the problem - no matter what the problem happens to be.

so the choice is yours, but when / if your computer doesn't run pro tools, you will already know why.

if your computer does in fact "run" pro tools, but it doesn't quite run "right" then you will also have the answer to that question.

so YMMV - and you have been warned is all i can say.

motherboards are cheap now-a-days = $40~120

why you would want to build your "house" on the wrong foundation is beyond me.

why not just invest in something that you know will be "right" from the "start" and not have to mess around with the headache?

perhaps you are a warrior and insist on making it work.

sounds like russian routlette if you ask me.

some users have really weird problems, like the program quitting on them out of the blue, then when they post their SANDRA information, it becomes obvious right away; and Digi gets exhonerated of all blame, because the compatibility info is readily available.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:28 AM

WOW thax,.... can you tell me which mother board I can used with the same Procesor thats $40-120???

Quote:
the P4 2.8 is sufficient speed to run m-powered.

i know what you want to hear.

but you aren't going to hear it from anyone on this board.

SIS is not compatible.

so if you go that route, then good luck to you, and remember that you will be running something that is unsupported and not recommended.

getting "help" with a system like that is nearly impossible, because Digi will always point to that as being the source of the problem - no matter what the problem happens to be.

so the choice is yours, but when / if your computer doesn't run pro tools, you will already know why.

if your computer does in fact "run" pro tools, but it doesn't quite run "right" then you will also have the answer to that question.

so YMMV - and you have been warned is all i can say.

motherboards are cheap now-a-days = $40~120

why you would want to build your "house" on the wrong foundation is beyond me.

why not just invest in something that you know will be "right" from the "start" and not have to mess around with the headache?

perhaps you are a warrior and insist on making it work.

sounds like russian routlette if you ask me.

some users have really weird problems, like the program quitting on them out of the blue, then when they post their SANDRA information, it becomes obvious right away; and Digi gets exhonerated of all blame, because the compatibility info is readily available.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:32 AM

just go here and shop for one:

http://www.pricewatch.com/motherboards/socket_478.htm

i have had success with asrock.

the most stable ones are made by intel.