How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2017, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Re-amp using interface without S/PDIF

Hi again Will,

One thing I forgot to mention is that I renamed those I/O settings in my DAW, and those aren't originally from the Avid Eleven Rack.

If I were to not name those, they would just show up at 5/6 in I/O. I think that's where I have caused some confusion

Sam
Old 11-15-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokethebearband View Post
Hi again Will,

One thing I forgot to mention is that I renamed those I/O settings in my DAW, and those aren't originally from the Avid Eleven Rack.

If I were to not name those, they would just show up at 5/6 in I/O. I think that's where I have caused some confusion

Sam
Thanks for the clarification as I didn't pick up on that. Just remember that both input 5 and output 5 need to be dedicated to reamping through the 11R. For the sake of simplicity, you should not be using that input/output pair on any other track or main output.

System Details
Old 11-15-2017, 07:27 AM

This is pretty much repeating what Darryl and Junkgear have suggested...

Not sure why you have a Pro Tools project with so many tracks, but I suggest you create a new, simplified session until you understand how to route the cables without creating a feedback loop.

In the new simplified session, either record a new mono guitar track or import the audio from your project as a mono track 1. Rename it Dry guitar.

Create a second mono track 2 and call it Processed guitar.

Send the output from track 1 to one of your outputs and cable it to the 11R left line in.

Then cable the output from the 11R back to your Steinberg interface into mono track 2. Looks to me like you have several analog inputs from which to choose. Keep in mind outputs 1 and 2 may be mirrored.

Record the return signal from the 11R onto track 2, Processed guitar.

After you get that working, set the 11R up so that the rig input is the 11R's left line in. Then try to record a processed guitar signal onto track 2.
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon

Last edited by panamajack; 11-15-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:43 AM

Hi Darryl & Jack,

First off thanks a lot for your information.

I have dedicated those inputs and outputs, and they are not being used for any other output or input in this session or any session I've used.

Jack, I've tried it in a separate session as well without success. The reason I have so many tracks is because I recorded guitar dry in a song, and now I am mixing the recordings.

My next step will be to start from scratch, and unplug all cables going to the interface and try again. I'll take photos of my process, and post it step by step.

Thanks again guys
Old 11-15-2017, 08:27 AM

Hi guys!

I found this lovely forum which seems to be a common issue with the Steinberg DSPMIX/Direct monitoring. I will be trying this later, but am posting this for anyone who needs it.

Thanks a lot!

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62943
Old 11-15-2017, 09:09 AM

There are several posts within that link which may apply to your situation, not the least of which is the 9/21/2017 post implying the DspMixFX firmware may be faulty.

Notwithstanding all the aforementioned potential hypotheses, you have an obvious workaround:

1) Export the only the guitar audio file from your project.
2) Set up the 11R as the interface and use an existing 11R template for re-amping.
3) Import only the guitar track you want to tweak and then export it.
4) Go back to your Steinberg interface and import the audio track that you processed with the 11R.

Otherwise, the procedure set forward by Grand Senior Member Grim on 9/20/2014 might be a good starting point.

The thread you linked either directly or indirectly brings up several issues including direct monitoring, auto input monitoring, low latency monitoring, muting, routing, console software, and the integrated reverb sends. Some of these features are common to all DAWs and represent a common hurdle.

An advantage of the 11R is its tight integration with Pro Tools. A shortcoming is its limited I/O.
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon
Old 11-15-2017, 11:31 AM

I am not sure why this is so hard. I have already suggested breaking it down into simple steps. You need to stop whatever you are doing and systemically troubleshoot what is going on.

Can you get a guitar connected to Guitar In to play through the ER?

Do you have a dry signal coming out of the output you think it is?

Can you see that signal on the ER display meters?

Is the rig input set to the correct Line input when you want to reamp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2017, 11:45 AM

Darryl,

I have performed all of those steps with no luck on the end result. The answer is Yes, Yes, Yes, and Yes. And finally, when I reamp FEEDBACK.

Look I've never reamped but i'm not a moron. I've used compressors, and mic pres to run signals back through the chain with a different interface before. I understand how these things work on more than a basic level. In fact, even though I knew I had everything connected properly, I still did what was suggested by yourself and located the problem. I posted a link to a forum about the direct monitoring causing feedback on outboard equipment with the Steinberg UR44 DSPMixFX which is what I will be troubleshooting next:

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=62943

I've done everything correctly on my end. No use in being condescending, man. Evidently I'm not the only one who has had this issue with the UR interfaces. GearSlutz essentially renders it useless for outboard effects.

I'll keep you posted on what happens.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:36 PM

I missed the bit when you went from just not working to having feedback. This is the same potential problem as any interface with hardware monitoring. Just turn off direct monitoring. Mute the inputs the tracks control app or pull down the levels. All hardware monitoring stuff *has* to have a way of being disabled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-15-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Re-amp using interface without S/PDIF SOLVED

Hi guys,

All is well and I am able to reamp with no issues this time...Thank you so much for all your help. I have the following info for anyone with this issue taken from the link above:

"For anyone who wants to know exactly what to set in DspMixFX:
All Inputs muted in Mix1 and Mix2 (this is "No direct monitoring")
DAW and Master UNmuted in Mix1 and Mix2
All Faders at 0dB"

Sorry if I caused any unneeded stress. Glad it's all settled.

Sam