Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Default Mac dvd drives - region specific?

I'm sure a lot of us have run into a problem with dvd's and our home entertainment systems and region specificity. IOW a region 2 dvd won't play in a region 1 player. That got me to wondering (and this is not an academic exercise) are the dvd drives in Macs region agnostic or what? I've had to return several dvd's ordered from Amazon over the years because they were other than region 1 dvd's. Would be neat to get them and be able to play on my 2012 cheesegrater.

From what I can suss out it's not the hardware that makes a home entertainment system dvd player region specific but something in the firmware. What makes me think that is the plethora of instructions out there that allow one to hack a player to play all region dvd's. And those sellers that sell so-called region-free players those players are NOT covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

QAPLA!
Old 06-10-2020, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Mac dvd drives - region specific?

Changing the locale of a Mac DVD player is usually easy, but with a limit that it can only be changed a few times.

It is trivial to bypass the region encoding using alternate approaches. DVD security and encryption has some serious issues. Region encoding bypasses is just one of them.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Changing the locale of a Mac DVD player is usually easy, but with a limit that it can only be changed a few times.

It is trivial to bypass the region encoding using alternate approaches. DVD security and encryption has some serious issues. Region encoding bypasses is just one of them.
So you're saying Mac dvd drives are region specific then? How can I tell what region I have? How do I change the region? Usually you're a lot more expansive with your answers than what you've written here.

edit for additional:
Found this https://support.apple.com/guide/dvd-...n-cpdv1503/mac and that explains some. Now if I could only find a region zero dvd. Or is there another way to change the region?

QAPLA!
Old 06-10-2020, 01:46 PM

DVD is dead media. But if you have lots of movies in different region discs, just buy one for region1 and another for region2 so you don't have a problem.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
DVD is dead media. But if you have lots of movies in different region discs, just buy one for region 1 and another for region 2 so you don't have a problem.
DVD is NOT dead media - why do you think movies are still being sold/produced on dvd? I don't stream movies (I want to play movies when I want without having to connect to the net) and I don't go to movie theatres. Having separate dvd players for separate regions is simplistic at best. Besides I don't have that much room for yet another piece of electronic equipment in my living room.

Thing is there are some concert dvd's that are only available on region 2 and those are ones I want to play. I don't fancy having a multi-region dvd player that isn't covered from the get-go by the manufacturer's warranty.

QAPLA!
Old 06-10-2020, 02:28 PM

Sure DVD has 5.1 but it is SD picture. Good riddance. But because the region can only be changed like 3 or 5 times, you really need two players for two regions. They are dirt cheap so why wouldn't you?
Old 06-10-2020, 03:43 PM

Use some free software like DVD-Shrink to rip the DVD into your computer, then burn a DVD. It seems to get around the region thing.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:46 PM

HandBrake seems to be the favourite ripper on this side of the pond. But before ripping you need to also install "libdvdcss"
Old 06-10-2020, 04:46 PM

Yes well I was not going to describe actually how to defeat licensing protection on DUC... :-O
Old 06-10-2020, 05:48 PM

Sorry, I didn't know that was frowned upon Darryl. I just use it to archive my DVD's.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.