Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2002, 01:43 PM

Default Plug-in application/mixer advice needed.

I'm also confused on something else here. How do I add delay or whatever to a recorded track, but ONLY to a certain portion of the track (say, the solo). How does the plug-in know not to effect the entire track? I'm sure that bouncing is involved, but I'm not sure. Could someone fill me in?

Also, recording vocals/latency. Am I going to run into any problems when tracking vocals and using say a delay? I really can't track my vocals dry. I have to at least HEAR some kind of effect. Some kind of delay or slow flange inspires me usually. So, is this going to be a CPU sucking nightmare, or will I be ok? The actually track will be going dry to HD. And then after it's done, I'll dial in the effect and probably bounce it.

Many have suggested that using a small external mixer would pretty much elminate the latency problem, but I'm not really sure how to set something like that up. Plus, I'm not really sure how I would even use it. I'm not a "band" and I record everything direct, one track at a time. I just figured that an external mixer to do ONE vocal track at a time was a rather excessive and epensive waste. But if I'm wrong.. please give me some insight as to how my experience would be much better w/ a mixer. Thanks!

Jason
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan
Old 04-25-2002, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Plug-in application/mixer advice needed.

When it comes time to mix your song and add your delay all you need to use is the wonderful "automation" features of Pro Tools. You'll basically automate the plug-ins bypass funtion on and off for those portions that you need delay. Another method is to select the region that you want to add delay to and apply the plug-in for that region only.

For effects you can do it both ways. For a single track, I find that the 128 buffer setting works fairly well when adding a single delay or verb while tracking. You wouldn't want to record that, but at least you would have the inspired version recorded to add the final effect later.

If you want zero latency then yes a small mixer and a cheap effects unit (Alesis nanoverb or equivalent)would do the trick. Just add the effect on an aux track and monitor the one of the mixer outs when recording which includes the verb, but only send the dry vocal signal to the 001.
Old 04-25-2002, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Plug-in application/mixer advice needed.

Rut the delay on an aux send/return and automate either the send or the return.

Try using a bit of reverb instead of delay when tracking.