Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 08-17-2002, 05:04 PM

Default a piercing shrill tone screamed from my monitors

I was startled today when for the first time while I was pushing up the master fader in protools LE the session audio stopped and a piercing shrill tone screamed from my monitors! I tried pulling the master fader down but the screen was in a frozen state, when I hit the space bar it stopped. I pulled down the master fader and the session played the audio again until I pushed the fader up and it started again. This is what I did just before this happened.
(after I found the verb I liked for a vocal mix I sent a copy of the vocals to an Aux track then I created a new stereo audio track> selected an available bus on the input of the new audio track> output the aux with the effects to the same available bus> record verb on the new audio track> then in the edit menu Shift the recorded track earlier by the hardware buffer size in the samples dialogue > 1024 or 256 and so on). I did the shift to prevent any phasing from the latency on the recorded track.
Old 08-17-2002, 07:47 PM

Default Re: a piercing shrill tone screamed from my monitors

If I'm reading what you typed correctly, I think you've created a feedback loop where you say that you "output the aux with the effects to the same available bus". This would drive the output signal to the same bus's input and create the shrill sound you heard. Try returning the bus to a different set of bus inputs.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:25 AM

This is exactly what I did, send a copy of 3 vocal tracks bus 1/2 > create an Aux track and input bus 1/2 > insert verb on the aux > output aux track to bus 3/4 > create new audio track and input the new track to bus 3/4 and then recorded the verb only. This process recorded the verb successfully I only had the screeching sound during play back.
Old 08-19-2002, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricco:
I was pushing up the master fader in protools ... and a piercing shrill tone screamed from my monitors!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Were you recording Celine Dion?
Old 08-19-2002, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SmlTwnGuy:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Ricco:
I was pushing up the master fader in protools ... and a piercing shrill tone screamed from my monitors!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Were you recording Celine Dion?<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">GOOD ONE! [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com