Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 01-27-2016, 03:58 AM

Default Plugin Mapping

Eddie (i noticed you're the boss around here … ),

Two demands from many S6 users (may be already asked somewhere else in this forum) :

-Would it be possible to Mapp plugin parameters on a Knob Module in expand mode, to store this mapping for this plugin, and to display it this way each time you expand it (probably in Insert mode and not in EQ or DYN) ?

-What about fader mapping ? The way you could Mapp the Cedar plugin parameters, Multi Band compressors, Spanner and many others was a HUGE thing on ICON …

Those Plugin Mapping settings could also be stored in user preferences …

Thank you very much !!
Old 01-27-2016, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Plugin Mapping

Quote:
-What about fader mapping ? The way you could Mapp the Cedar plugin parameters, Multi Band compressors, Spanner and many others was a HUGE thing on ICON …
There is a useable workaround for this using layouts and flip mode. I am unable to locate the thread it was first mentioned in but the idea is like this

Create a layout that assigns many fader strips to a single track, where your plugin is assigned. I use 8 faders per Cedar.

While creating the layout, assign each process module knob to individual plugin's parameters, in the left-right order you want to see on the faders. These assignments are retained with the layout you just created.

FLIP one time. You should see the parameters spread across the faders in the order you want.

When I need to work Cedar parameters with faders it takes two buttons presses, layout and flip.

Last edited by Postman; 01-27-2016 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
There is a useable workaround for this using layouts and flip mode. I am unable to locate the thread it was first mentioned in but the idea is like this

Create a layout that assigns many fader strips to a single track, where your plugin is assigned. I use 8 faders per Cedar.

While creating the layout, assign each process module knob to individual plugin's parameters, in the left-right order you want to see on the faders. These assignments are retained with the layout you just created.

FLIP one time. You should see the parameters spread across the faders in the order you want.

When I need to work Cedar parameters with faders it takes two buttons presses, layout and flip.
Wow great workaround! One question, how do you select the channel for the cedar? Do you make a layout per track? I use a cedar on every track so I would need 20 different layouts, right?
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-27-2016, 06:17 AM

Thank you very much Postman !
That's a quite good workaround !
So if you have 10 cedars and a 24 faders S6, you use 4 layouts where there are only your cedar parameters ?
That's still a bit restrictive don't you think ?
Old 01-27-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucha View Post
Thank you very much Postman !
That's a quite good workaround !
So if you have 10 cedars and a 24 faders S6, you use 4 layouts where there are only your cedar parameters ?
That's still a bit restrictive don't you think ?
I've been using this all day. I have 3 layouts and have 3 cedars spilled onto each layout. Not very flexible but it's fast and works. NICE ONE!
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-27-2016, 06:13 PM

It wasn't my idea. I wish I could find the post where I read it and give credit where its due. Its much better than nothing, being stuck with the MTM layout that we cannot touch (for reasons that make zero sense to all of us).
Old 01-27-2016, 07:12 PM
Avid

I'm glad you have a work around until we get to this feature in software, its certainly high on the list of things to do !
Old 07-22-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Sorry posty, I'm not quite grasping this, any chance you could do a wee video ? . . please .
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 07-22-2016, 01:39 PM

No video anytime soon, sorry tooly.

There are 8 knobs on each process module. Each knob can access parameters from the track/channel it's vertical strip is assign to. A typical use for process knobs is for send levels or stereo panner but you can use it for so many other things instead. Whatever you are using it for, FLIP mode can put a knob's parameter onto the corresponding fader.

So...

The clever part of this trick relies on the fact that Layout mode allows us any number of strips to be assigned to the same track/channel. Most people don't do that of course, but we can if we want to. In the case of Cedar NR, there are 8 parameters worth automating. We can create a layout that assigns any 8 strips, probably side by side, all to the same track that our Cedar plugin is being automated by. Before saving the layout, assign each process knob above each fader to a different parameter of the Cedar plugin. (Check the manual if you've forgotten how to change process knob assignments.) Save the layout for recall. Now, when that layout is showing, FLIP one time. The faders inherit control of whatever parameters were assigned to the process knobs. For Cedar, it means we can have 8 faders control parameters in the same left-right order as is on the GUI or Cedar faders. If you've tried to use Cedar's default mapping onto the knob module or master module, you know that the visual order is all wrong. This trick allows you to make the visual order anything you like.

It is a long description, much easier to implement, and a snap to use.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Postman; 07-22-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
No video anytime soon, sorry tooly.

There are 8 knobs on each process module. Each knob can access parameters from the track/channel it's vertical strip is assign to. A typical use for process knobs is for send levels or stereo panner but you can use it for so many other things instead. Whatever you are using it for, FLIP mode can put a knob's parameter onto the corresponding fader.

So...

The clever part of this trick relies on the fact that Layout mode allows us any number of strips to be assigned to the same track/channel. Most people don't do that of course, but we can if we want to. In the case of Cedar NR, there are 8 parameters worth automating. We can create a layout that assigns any 8 strips, probably side by side, all to the same track that our Cedar plugin is being automated by. Before saving the layout, assign each process knob above each fader to a different parameter of the Cedar plugin. (Check the manual if you've forgotten how to change process knob assignments.) Save the layout for recall. Now, when that layout is showing, FLIP one time. The faders inherit control of whatever parameters were assigned to the process knobs. For Cedar, it means we can have 8 faders control parameters in the same left-right order as is on the GUI or Cedar faders. If you've tried to use Cedar's default mapping onto the knob module or master module, you know that the visual order is all wrong. This trick allows you to make the visual order anything you like.

It is a long description, much easier to implement, and a snap to use.

Hope this helps.
Nice . . Thank you posty . .
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~