Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2016, 03:02 PM

Default Double MS

Hello Hello,

within the next months, I will be working on a music documentary. A lot of the orginal sound is recorded with a schoeps double ms microphone. In past projects with double ms recordings, I usually worked with the plugins provided by schoeps (http://www.schoeps.de/de/products/dm...n_bf/downloads).
Despite the fact, that they have always been a little "buggy" and forced pro tools to crash from time to time, I had great results while decoding the material. Unfortunately, the plugins are not updated and are only available as rtas and vst. Does anybody know of another plugin available on the market, which is able to decode double ms within protools 11/12?

Cheers!
Old 09-29-2016, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Double MS

A way round would be to use a wrapper such as Bluecat's Patchwork, then you could use the VST version.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 09-29-2016, 04:55 PM

http://www.mathewlane.com/DrMS.html
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 09-30-2016, 02:26 AM

OK, the DrMS seems to work only in stereo, i am looking for a plug, which converts DOUBLE MS into 5.0, just like the schoeps plugin did. if there is no other choice, i will have to check the option with a wrapper to vst. mmmh.
thank you so far.
Mac Pro 14,8 M2Ultra 192GB RAM - OS X 13.6.3 - PT HDn 2023.09 Thunderbolt - HD I/O + RedNet HD32R + SYNC HD - Blackmagic SDI 4K - Mutec MC-3.2 Smart Clock HD - BSS Soundweb - Alcons CRMSmkII - ATMOS equipped Edit & Premix-Room
Old 09-30-2016, 04:19 AM

I use a lot of DMS material that I record myself.

I use the Schoeps plugin in Twisted wave to do the conversions and then import to PT as 5.1.
I haven't tried a wrapper, I suppose that could work but they're probably not built to support 5.1 plugins. I think Soundminer supports multiple out Plugins now too, but I haven't tried it.
I asked Schoeps if they would ever update the plug but they said they had no plans.
Harpex b can decode DMS and many other formats and is AAX but its expensive, you can get a trial.

Its a shame the format is not better supported I find it gives a really good immersive result even better than ambisonics in my tests, but obviously without the height element.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:38 AM

Yes, the immersive result is fantastic and there are no problems downmixing to stereo. what i really liked about the plugin was the possibility to automate and to change settings from clip to clip, depending on the recorded material.

I had a phone call with schoeps today and they said, it will be updated in the future, but right now it is not the highest priority

Is Harpex B really an option? The M Signal would be the W Signal in B Format. All other signals (XYZ) in B Format are picked up by figure-of-eight capsules, in that case the Y Signal would be the S Signal in MS Recordings! But where do I have to route my M Signal for the back in that plugin? I just dont get it

Another option for decoding DMS would be the "old" way with a conventional matrix in pro tools, with the M Front Signal going to the Center, L/R produced through Left = Mid + Side, Right = Mid − Side, Ls/Rs produced through Left = Mid - Side, Right = Mid + Side plus the M Back Signal mixed in the middle of the Ls/Rs Panorama. The disadvantage I see here is the much more complicated workflow, if you want to automate the parameters of the decoding.
Mac Pro 14,8 M2Ultra 192GB RAM - OS X 13.6.3 - PT HDn 2023.09 Thunderbolt - HD I/O + RedNet HD32R + SYNC HD - Blackmagic SDI 4K - Mutec MC-3.2 Smart Clock HD - BSS Soundweb - Alcons CRMSmkII - ATMOS equipped Edit & Premix-Room
Old 09-30-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
A way round would be to use a wrapper such as Bluecat's Patchwork, then you could use the VST version.
I have used this combo several times and it worked fine.
At the onset of AAX, I first used Waves S1 or Voxengos MSED back-to-back; but there is so much more control with the Schoeps plugin.
An Ambisonic Decoder wouldn't give correct results.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:15 AM

No, sorry I thought Harpex had an option to decode DMS, but sadly not.
It can only decode B format to DMS, not much use.

If Florian says it works with the bluecat wrapper I'll give it a shot too.
You can't beat the Schoeps plugin for flexibility. Interesting.

Good to know they are still thinking of going AAX.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:10 PM

Hey guys,

I tried the Blu cat plug it seems to work well but I can only get it to output in
LRC Lfe LsRs not LCRLsRsLfe which is the format of my session.

Is there any way around that?
Old 10-04-2016, 11:44 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention that.
It needs re-bussing. Also in the newer version re-worked by illusonic.
I use a dedicated 5.1 Bus, whose 5.0 subpath has channels swapped around.